Monday, May 28, 2018

FAÇADE Chapter 3


The rain comes down like angry bees
And the streetlight flickers on
I thought that I could overcome this all
But now I see I was wrong

~Assemblage 23, Alone Again

How I came to realize Bella Swan could break my heart
There was more hubbub surrounding me saving Carlisle Cullen’s life than that of the second coming. I was rushed in the back of his limo to his house where we were met by their doc, some wheezing monstrosity that you’d never take seriously in a real medical office setting. The gunshot wound was a simple through and through, and he didn’t even have to stitch it up, he just cleaned it and bandaged it.

I was given a glass of scotch and a cigar, supposedly a real Cuban, and told to sit in an armchair. “Really, boys, it was nothing.”

Emmett pulled an ottoman over and sat in front of me. I tried not to laugh at his bulky frame folded up onto that small seat. “You saved Dad, and we don’t take that lightly. That bullet could have hit him anywhere, and none of us even saw it coming. Not even Pete, who is now facing serious consequences for being a dumbass.”

Jasper spoke up from behind me. “I’ve been told that you do your job at the club, keep your head down and your nose clean. Although, I’ve also heard Bella Swan moved in with you.”

Keep your cool, Masen. “She said she needed a place to crash. I’m not boning her, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

I heard a long, deep laugh from behind me, and I was positive it was Carlisle. He stepped around to the front of my chair, leaning against the arm of the long aqua couch. “I’m not particularly worried about that. I don’t care which dancer you fuck; you could fuck them all and I wouldn’t give a shit.” He puffed on his own cigar, blowing the smoke off to his right. “You saved my life. That’s what counts. You risked yourself for someone you’d never met, although I’d wager you knew who I was.”

“I had a feeling, without seeing you before, that you were the boss. You carry an aura of power, Mr. Cullen.”

He let out that hearty laugh again, and slapped his knee. “Anyone that risks his ass to save mine can call me Carlisle.”

I actually found myself liking this guy. “If that’s what you want.”

He steepled his fingers in front of himself, the cigar hanging out of one side of his mouth. There was silence for several long minutes. “If I made you an offer to accept the oath, would you agree? If you decline once the offer is officially made, I won’t make it again and you’ll find yourself another job. Out of respect for what you've done, I’m giving you prior warning. If I offer, will you accept?”

I didn’t have to think about it, since this was my goal, but I wanted to pretend I was contemplating my options. “What would change?”

“You’d hit the streets with Jasper. Collect tributes. Work with the sharks to ensure our money is coming in. That sorta thing. More money, more respect. A crew once you’ve learned the ropes.”

“I know you worked for Aro in Chicago before, but we do things different. So I’ll train you, so to speak. Then you go out and do your own. The more money you bring in, the more I’ll pay you.” Jasper spoke from over his father’s shoulder.

With more salary, I could maybe get a two bedroom from the division. It would be in line with the job, and that would mean no more sleeping on the couch because I’d dabbled in playing a knight. “Okay. I’ll accept if the offer is made.”

“You realize the only out is death?” Emmett spoke again, his deep voice as serious as the death he spoke of.

“I understand.”

Carlisle tossed his cigar into the ashtray on the coffee table and straightened to his full height. Sensing the importance, I stood as well, and Emmett rose and moved to flank me, Jasper on the other side.

“Anthony Di Stefano, we would be pleased to hold the ceremony of Omertá with you as the guest of honor. Do you accept this offer of your own free will?”

“I do.”

They slapped me on the back with general words of enthusiasm and encouragement. I was worried that I'd be expected to make my bones, and prayed that my alibi from Chicago would cover that as well. I wondered what Bella would think; she was sort of my friend, definitely my comrade. I also thought of getting a message to Black to inform him of the change.

All of this went through my head as the three men threw out dates that worked best for them. Obviously I was available for whatever they chose, or I'd make myself available; that was how this worked. They settled on four nights from now, and I agreed.

“If you ever need anything, you tell me, got it? I owe you.” Carlisle was incredibly sincere, and I had to remind myself he was a criminal I was trying to pin a murder on.

“Yes, sir, thank you.”

I was sent home in a limo, and shook my head at the dichotomy of the sleek black vehicle in my shady neighborhood. Bars on the windows and no cars newer than twenty years old, dealers sitting on stoops waiting for their buyers to come around. What a frickin joke.

I was surprised to find the lights off when I let myself in. I thought doe-eyes was stayin’ in tonight. Leaving the apartment lights off, I headed for the bathroom and turned on the over-the-mirror fluorescents. Getting shot wasn't in my plans, but it wouldn't be the first time. I grabbed a handful of my shirt from behind me and yanked it off over my head. The bandage was probably not necessary, but I debated leaving it on anyway.

“Tony?” I heard from the direction of the living room. Shit.

“In here,” I answered, knowing she could see the bathroom light from the front door.

She appeared, hair a fiery red and no makeup. The bathroom felt suddenly too small. “I thought you were stayin’ in,” I said, trying not to sound accusatory.

“I thought you were workin’ all night,” she returned.

I opened my mouth to explain when she gasped. “Oh, Tony, what happened?”

She was in my space before I knew what to do, one hand on my bare pec and running a finger over the bandage. I held my breath, afraid to inhale her perfume and send my already overheated system into overdrive. She dropped her purse and shrugged out of her coat; now she was less dressed and closer than before as she gazed into my eyes, waiting for my answer.

I swallowed. “I, uh, I saved Carlisle.”

“Really?” she breathed, her eyes gone wide.

I nodded, my fists clenched at my sides to keep from running a finger under her tired eyes. I backed away a step and bumped into the sink. “There was a guy, pissed off at something, he grabbed for Petey’s gun. I saw it, and I stepped in front of Mr. C.”

“Wow. I bet he’s impressed with you now, huh?” She sounded bitter, and started to step away. I grabbed her wrist without thinking.

“Hey, it’s good, okay? They’ll let me in, promote me. I’ll get us a better place soon, yeah?”

Something in her eyes changed, became more charged. She bit her lower lip, and my eyes darted down to watch her teeth sink into her flesh. I wanted to do that; I wanted to bite her lip and so many more places. “You won't kick me out when you’ve made it and I’m still just a stripper?”

I laughed, the sound rusty. “No, I could never do that to you.”

Bella looked down, and it felt like the spell between us was broken. “That’s really sweet of you.” She backed up, picking up her coat and her bag. “You shouldn't get the bandages wet,” she offered as she left the bathroom.

I let out a shaky breath and pulled my shirt back on, heading to the couch to bury my face in my pillow.

The next few days flew by, and suddenly the night of the ceremony was here sooner than I would have thought possible. Bella seemed to be avoiding me, and she wasn't coming to the ceremony. The guys were; Emmett and Jasper, and, of course, Carlisle. Other guys I recognized were there, men I knew for a fact were with the Family and not merely club workers. I was introduced to new men, people whose faces I knew from mugshots and surveillance photos, but who I had to pretend not to recognize. It was mostly a giant party, and I ate and drank until I thought I should stop before drunkenly spilling my guts. Or having them spilled forcefully if I accidentally admitted I was a fed.

Finally it was time for the official part, and it didn't last nearly as long as I expected. Do you agree to keep your mouth shut, yes, I do. Do you realize we’ll kill you if you break the code, yes, I do. Congrats, you’re a made man for the Cullens.

They had to pour me into a car at the end of the night, but I wasn't as drunk as I let on. I had to report to Jasper tomorrow afternoon. I was no longer needed at the titty bar, which was sad, really. No more chances to see Bella naked.

I dropped the keys trying to unlock the door. Maybe I was drunker than I thought. I grabbed the doorknob for support as I bent over, surprised to find it wasn't locked. I thought I heard yelling as I opened the door, but then it was quiet. I threw my keys and wallet on the kitchen counter and peeled my jacket off.

I whipped my head to the right when the yelling picked up again. I was right the first time, and it was coming from the bedroom. It was only a few feet away, so I strode over and knocked on the door.

“Bella, you all right?” I asked loudly.

I heard a series of thumps and a loud growl, followed by a grunt.
“Tony!” Bella shouted, sounding panicked. Ramming my shoulder against the door, I managed to open it as Bella kicked and shoved at a man in her bed.

“What the fuck?”

“I told him no, but he didn't listen.” She suddenly didn't seem so fragile anymore as I realized she’d knocked him out.

“Okay,” I said, drawing out the word. I squatted and threw the man over my shoulder, grunting at his weight as I straightened back up. I walked him all the way down the stairs and dumped him against the building, ensuring the outer building door was closed and locked before heading back upstairs. Hopefully he’d make his way home when he came to, or be questioned by the street patrol when they found him sleeping on the sidewalk.

When I got back inside, I couldn't look Bella in the face. Here I was, wanting her with a desperation that nearly killed me, and she was bringing strangers home for a quick fuck. This was the reason she couldn't attend my Omerta ceremony. I left the lights off as I settled face first on the couch again.

That was how I came to realize Bella Swan could break my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment