Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Ember Sword Chapter Ten


“As your chieftess, I have gathered statements and evidence regarding the attempted attack on our beloved citadel.” Esme stood before her people, hands spread. “Mercenary Jane, Ensigns Marcus and Alec, and Sentinel Chelsea have been found guilty of treason.”

There were low murmurs from those present. To Edward, it appeared as though everyone in the village of Stagbreak had come to Stormcoast for the sentencing of the traitors.

“Mercenary Jane died from wounds sustained in the attack. Her warrior name, Dead-Fist, will be retired and never used again.”

Three chained people were brought up onto the wooden dais the royal family sat upon. Didyme followed behind, her eyes red and puffy, but her head held high. 

“Mercenary Didyme—also known as Iron-Shadow—has agreed to mete out punishment to her mate, Ensign Marcus. His warrior name, Rock-Bane, will be retired and never used again.”

At Esme’s nod, Marcus was brought forward and forced to his knees. His countenance was stoic, as if he hadn't a care in the world. Didyme shoved the back of his head until it rested on a wooden block. Without much ceremony, she drew her longsword and brought it down on his neck. The sickening sound of a head being detached from its body resounded throughout the silent crowd. Though no tears marred her face, Edward read the misery on the mercenary's face when she took her seat. He noted Isabella never took her gaze from the scene before them.

“Bring forth the sentinel.”

Chelsea was pushed in the back by the head sentinel, Renee, causing her to stumble to her knees in front of the chieftess. She cried and begged, but she was forced to move to the next block in the row. 

“Mother prefers a longbow,” Isabella murmured to Edward. “However, it doesn't make an efficient execution weapon.”

He nodded in acknowledgement as the sentinel’s head was severed from her body.

“Lastly, Ensign Alec. His warrior name, Death-Flayer, will be retired and never used again.”

Without hesitation, Esme executed the sniveling ensign.

“Jane and Alec’s attendant, Austin, has been reassigned to your brother and Storm-Heart.”

Edward nodded at Isabella’s information. “How are you entirely unaffected?”

She met his gaze. “Death is not a foreign concept to me, and I harbor no pity for those who betrayed us. I only have sympathy for Didyme, who has lost her mate to treachery.”

“I didn’t enjoy this,” he said as they all stood and headed back inside the keep.

“Nor did I, but destiny is all. Each were aware of the consequences of their actions.”

“Do you know anything of what The Forsaken has planned next?”

Isabella shook her head, gripping his hand tightly as they weaved in and out of the throngs of people. The noise leveled only dimmed once they reached the hall leading to the royal family's chambers, and she didn't speak again until they were closer to their own quarters.

“We shouldn’t speak of it in front of others.”

Understanding etched his features. “Ah.”

They passed their rooms and moved further into the keep. “Especially now when we’re all afraid there are more ears promised to The Forsaken than the ones who just died.”

Shock rippled through his body. “Is that a possibility?”

Isabella led him into the war room and closed the door. “See here?” She pointed to the map of Korsväg spread on the table. “Here we are.” She circled Stormcoast with her forefinger. “Here’s the ocean, and here’s Stagbreak.”

He watched her point out Winter Forest, followed by the empty space they referred to as No Man’s Land. 

“And this must be Blackthorn.” He pointed to the dark region on the map.

“Aye. The Forsaken have ruined the area. It was once ripe land overflowing with crops and animals. Now, the people starve.”

“If they weren’t murdered immediately, that is.”

She smiled at him. “So you do know some of the history.”

“I know The Forsaken came through Blackthorn and murdered everyone they could find, taking over what was once Archdale Castle.”

“They did. Now we call it Grimhold.”

“Apt.”

“Aye.” Isabella pointed once more. “This is where we expected them to be camping on their way to Stagbreak. Instead, there was nothing there. Mother decided it was best to turn back and not attempt to pursue them. She feared a trap.”

“So you had bad intelligence. Who gave you this information?”

She hesitated. “I trust you, Edward, not to speak this name to anyone else, not even your brother.”

His eyebrows rose. “You don't trust Garrett?”

“It isn’t that.” Isabella laid a hand on his forearm. “Neither you nor I can control to whom he repeats it. Please, you must promise never to say it aloud once we leave this room.”

“I promise.” Her mouth remained in a firm line. “Isabella, you’re my mate. Do you think I want what happened out there today to happen to us? We finally have each other, and I wouldn't allow even my brother to compromise our marriage.”

Finally, Isabella nodded and took his hands in hers. “It was Mikael.”

“The—the attendant?” His voice dropped to a whisper as understanding flooded his thoughts.

“Aye. We’re keeping an eye on him because it doesn’t seem he gained this information the way he claimed, which was on an errand for Archwarrior Tanja in Stagbreak.”

“Is she . . . dirty?”

“I’m not positive, and the family is divided on whether she is or not.”

Edward swallowed. “I have to tell you something.”

Isabella nodded. “Go ahead.”

“The day you rode out, he told me he was going to earn your hand and I would soon be his attendant.” He dropped her hands and stalked away. “I was busy worrying you would slice my throat for daring to ask you not to fight. I rolled my eyes and thought nothing of it, save that he was acting as a fool.”

“It wouldn't have meant anything to you, Edward. You weren’t privy to sensitive information, and we certainly didn’t know anything was amiss at that time.”

He spun back to face her. “If anything had happened to you out there because of that cur, I would have killed him myself.”

Isabella felt her face heat at his robust vehemence. “It didn’t. Not only that, but you had your chance to impress me, and now look where we are.”

He grasped her face between his palms, gently brushing his lips over hers. “I’ve never been so lucky in my life as the day I was brought here to Sandhorne. It led me to you.”

She smirked. “Maybe the day we were wed.”

“Oh, aye, I was incredibly lucky that day.” He kissed her temple. “And every day since.” He kissed her cheeks. “Until the sun turns black in the sky.” 

He crushed his mouth to hers, angling to devour her completely. She whimpered, fisting her hand in his tunic to hold herself upright. “Edward, we’re in an unlocked room.”

“Shall I carry you to our chambers? Perhaps you need to rest.”

Isabella covered her mouth to stifle a giggle. “It would be more seemly if I walked.”

They headed out of the room together, threading through the hallways and the people who filled them. They didn't make it as far as their rooms before they were stopped by Jasper.

“Mother is requesting we train,” he said.

“Now?” Isabella asked in disappointment.

“Aye. She’s very worried we’ll be under attack soon, or that we’ll have to go to Blackthorn.” His gaze flicked over to Edward. “She wants the new warrior and your high paladin to train with us more than they’ve done recently.”

Isabella nodded at him. “We’ll change and meet you at the training field.”

Jasper nodded in return and moved to the side so they could pass. Isabella tried not to pout, but she wasn’t very successful in her attempt.

“There’s always the night, wife.”

She sighed. “I know, but there’s more that causes me to worry now. You and Garrett are undertrained, it’s true. If Mother feels concerned, so should we all.”

“We did well yesterday,” he reminded her. Though he hadn't enjoyed it at first, he felt a sense of accomplishment by the time training was over.

“Oh, you did, I agree. You’ve seen how much time we put into training when there isn't a threat.” She stopped at their door, and he noted how she unlocked it.

“When did you begin locking the door?”

She closed it behind them and leaned against it. “Peder has a key to the back door, and he’s not to give it to anyone else for any reason. No one is allowed in here without him being present, either.”

“You didn’t answer my question, Isabella.” He pulled her away from the door and into their bedchamber.

“This morn.” She laid a hand on her stomach. “I feel uneasy with all the uncertainty surrounding us.”

“I may not be as well-trained as Emmett and Jasper, but Garrett and I spent time practicing with our weapons, as well. I’ll have your back, though you hardly need my protection.”

“I know.” She slid her hands up his chest. “I would often watch you.”

He smirked and wrapped his arms around her back. “Would you?”

She nodded, her blush deepening. “I told you, I’ve wanted you for quite some time.”

Edward pulled her closer and kissed her, taking her lower lip into his mouth and sucking on it. Just as Isabella was hoping they would get carried away, he pulled back.

“They’re expecting us.” Though it was difficult, he had to tamp down his burgeoning desire.

She dropped her head to his chest. “Unfortunately, you’re right.”

“As I said, there’s always tonight.”

“I’m merely selfish now that I have you. I may have to close my eyes while you change into something more suitable for fighting.”

He laughed. “I know the feeling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment