Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter Seven

Ward

Though Emmett had recommended I try the Oceana Grill, I wasn't in the mood to spend most of my paycheck on one meal. Splurging was not in the near forecast, but maybe I could treat myself to something other than canned food boosted with fresh veggies. With that in mind, I headed over to the pizzeria I’d passed more times than I could count. It sat a handful of buildings down from the bakery and Bookish, hopefully giving me a buffer from temptation. There were many people I wanted to know better, but I was scared to get involved in so much as a friendship with anyone.

So I walked into Napoli’s, the tangy aroma of tomato sauce and spices drawing me toward the counter. They sold their pizzas whole and by the slice, along with pasta dishes and salads. The dessert case called my name, but I thought maybe I’d push my luck at the bakery later. Assuming they were open that late, which I hadn’t thought to check.


“You can take a menu and sit down if you want, and I'll come take your order when you're ready.”


The voice evoked cotton candy and licorice whips, but it was attached to a full-grown woman, making me blink twice before I could answer. “I think I’m ready now, actually.”


“Sure.” The name tag on her white button-down read Angela. “What can I get you?”


“This one.” I pointed to a pizza covered in some of everything. “Can I get a small, plus a side of breadsticks?”


We exchanged money, and she assured me she’d bring the food out when it was ready. I nabbed a paper menu for something to occupy my time while I waited, finding the woman’s face plastered on the back alongside a man her age and an older couple. There was a long biography for the pizzeria, beginning with Allen and Becca Cheney, who opened the place in the 70s but no longer ran it. Instead, they’d entrusted the day-to-day operations to their son and daughter-in-law—who decided to sit across from me at the two-top table as she delivered my food. 


“Are you Ward? I’m Angela Cheney.”


“Yeah, that’s me.” There was no point sighing in frustration, though I wanted to, desperately.


“Newcomers are a hot topic, but all I’ve heard about you is that you work with Peter.”


“That’s right.” I picked up a breadstick, hoping she’d leave me in peace to eat.


She rose, and I said a silent thank you. “I’ll bring you some tiramisu on the house as a welcome.”


“You don't have to do that,” I called after her as she walked away.


Obviously, the townspeople would eagerly smother me with kindness. Every single one of them would end up with a place in my heart, more to mourn when the reaper came to call. It didn't seem as though I could stop it; like a tsunami, they all crashed over each other in a competition to be the most thoughtful of the bunch.


The pizza was excellent, not only because the crust was clearly homemade, but because someone else had made it. It was hot, cheesy, and I didn't have to come up with the recipe on my own. Knowing it was probably stupid, I saved the crust to bring home to Heidi. It wasn’t exactly healthy for her, but she deserved a treat now and then, too.


“Here you are.” Angela set a plate on the table across from me. 


“That looks amazing.”


“Thanks. The recipe has been passed down for generations.”


She looked up when the door opened, and I went back to eating as she greeted the new customers.


“Jasper, Alice! Come on in.”


Fuck me


“How are you, Ang?”


They spent a few minutes chatting, and the man from the picture on the menu came out from the back so they could all talk. It hit me more than it had previously how interconnected these people were. They all knew each other, likely from childhood. They spent their money in their fellow neighborhood establishments in solidarity with supporting small businesses. 


The four of them talked animatedly, and it was similar to how I'd assumed they all sat around whispering about my every move. No one could speak out of turn without the whole town knowing by the end of the day. From what I could hear from where I was sitting, apparently Briana had filed a police report, and Larry had been arrested earlier in the day. The four of them batted around opinions about how long he'd be in jail and whether any of them would have to testify.


Suddenly, I realized I was guilty of eavesdropping on their gossip. Instead of listening further, I focused on the TV in the far corner playing reruns of Law & Order. Ironic.


Alice stopped by my table as I finished the last bite of dessert. “Hey, Ward, how are you?”


“I’m well, thanks, Alice.”


A grin covered her oval face. “I’m surprised you know my name.”


“It’s hard not to know everyone’s name by now.” I made an attempt at a smile that hopefully looked friendlier than a grimace.


“True.” Nodding, she gestured to the tall man striding up next to her. “My husband, Jasper. The genius behind our baked goods.”


There wasn't anything much more uncomfortable than sitting with a man standing over me, so I stood. “Nice to meet you. Name's Ward.”


Jasper stuck his hand out, and I accepted the shake. His hair was down since he wasn't elbow-deep in flour or whatever, and it reached his shoulders in blond waves. “I’ve heard so much about you.”


Story of my new life. “I’m sure you have.”


“Nothing bad, don’t worry. But you’ll get used to the gossip.”


Will I? “Have a nice evening, you two.”


Dismissing them, I went to the counter to get a box for my leftovers. A walk along the shoreline seemed the best course of action for evening entertainment, but not until I went home to get my girl.


Heidi scarfed down the pizza crust, as I knew she would, and I added kibble to her dish to top her off. While she ate, I cleaned up the kitchen and put what was left of my pizza in the fridge. 


Clipping her leash to her collar, I tried not to smile at her exuberant tippy taps, but I failed. She simply made me happy. 


“Are you ready?” I asked in a silly voice.


That made her jump up and try to lick my face, so I opened the door with a laugh.


It died in my throat when I saw Bella standing on my postage-stamp-sized stoop. 


“Oh, are you heading out?” Why did she sound disappointed? Moreover, why did I like that she sounded disappointed? 


“How did you . . . I didn't give you my address."


“Oh, that's easy. The only places with openings fill up quickly, and I heard from Jake, who heard from Charlotte, that someone had moved in here.”


“What the fuck.” There was no point asking it as a question, because the answer was obvious. “I’m hiding in plain sight.”


“Guess so.” She shrugged. “I don’t have your phone number, so I apologize for showing up unannounced.”


“I don't have a phone.” Heidi moved behind me, bumping my legs. “She’s ready to go out, so can we walk and talk?”


“I’d love to.” Sticking her hands in her pockets, Bella waited while I locked up. 


We'd walked almost three blocks before I finally spoke up. "I thought I'd let her play in the surf tonight."


"You know, I don't spend as much time at the water as I should." 


Squinting in the glare of the falling sun, I focused on Bella. My words stuck in my throat when I saw the way the orange light played off her skin. She fucking glowed.


We reached the boardwalk railing before I'd drummed up the nerve to say anything else. I followed Bella through the gate and down to the sand, remembering when we were last here; I'd turned around to speak to her, and she'd disappeared. There was a part of me that had wanted to ask her to stay, and a part that had wanted to be alone. The choice had been taken from me, which I thought was for the best at the time. 


But now, we shared a comfortable silence. Well, mostly. My brain never quite stopped, always keeping an eye out on who else was in the surrounding area. Only a handful of people walked ankle-deep in the chilly water, and they were farther down the strand.


"Sometimes I hate the ocean." Her tone had become musing, and I gave her space by watching Heidi sniff at every shell and pebble we passed. "Knowing my parents were lost to its depths, to the call of the waves, and the hidden treasure beneath."


The idea was disheartening. "They died doing what they loved, right?"


"That's what they tell me. Charlie was an excellent fisherman, and Renee was not only his companion on the water but a great fisherwoman in her own right."


"How old were you?" Since Heidi strained at the end of her leash, I unhooked it and let her go. 


"Nine months."


"Damn," I murmured. "Truly a baby."


Barking and jumping headfirst into the surf, Heidi brought a smile to my face. 


"How long have you had her?"


Blowing air through my lips, I tiptoed along the truth. "Years. Uh, six, give or take."


"She's incredibly well trained," Bella commented. 


I hummed. 


"Riley would care for me while my parents were working."


My shoulders dropped at her change of subject, and I felt the corners of my mouth turn up in appreciation. "So you knew her before she became your de facto parent."


Glancing around, Bella seemed to make a decision. Plopping in the sand, she brought her knees up in front of her. "She was my mother's best friend."


Sitting beside her, I stressed over how much room to leave between us. Not close enough to touch, but not so far that it insulted her. 


"Riley is quintessentially southern, full of quirky sayings and a thick accent."


A trawler came into view, the sunset outlining the rigging and the bright red hull cutting through the water. Bella waved, which was returned with the blowing of the ship's horn. 


"You know them?"


"That's Jake’s boat."


Heidi ran over, shaking out her fur so hard she lifted her back legs off the sand. 


"Crazy girl, what are you doing?"


Instead of coming closer, she ran headlong back into the water. 


Laughingly, Bella said, "She'll bring the entire ocean back in her coat."


Struggling to ask what I didn't yet have a right to know, I fumbled out, "I, um, so, who's Jake?"


"A fisherman."


That was pretty obvious. Maybe Bella had secrets too. Or maybe she was playing my cat-and-mouse game of half-truths and little white lies.


"We used to work at Napoli’s together in high school. Delivering pizza." Shrugging, she rested her head on her knees. Deep brown eyes latched onto me, a shy smile gracing her face. "We don't hang out much anymore."


"Do you have any idea how breathtaking your smile is?" Unsure why I'd said it out loud, it was nonetheless out in the atmosphere. Warm ocean breezes lifted my hair, invisible hands nudging me toward this newfound crush. It would hurt when I fell, physically and emotionally, but I couldn't stop gravity. Fighting it was pointless, and possibly not worth the aggravation when it inevitably won. 


"No, but feel free to tell me more." Her smile had grown, and my face mirrored hers. 


"You're enough to mess me up inside, and I never saw you coming."


"Messing you up inside isn't my intention." Leaning until her knees bumped mine, she said, "Messing up the outside is another story."


I was seconds from kissing her when Heidi pushed her way between us, her wet body quivering in excitement. As Bella squealed, Heidi licked her face until she knocked her over. 


"Oh, God, you're covered in sand." Standing and pushing Heidi away, I reached down to help Bella up.


"It'll rinse off."


It was almost comical how much sand clung to her damp clothes. Maybe there was an outdoor shower or something at the marina. "Where?"


"My place is closer than yours."


Fuck. Me. "Are you inviting me over?"


Glancing at Heidi, she responded, "If you're willing."


"Is my wet dog going to mess up your floors?"


"Nah. We can give her a bath in my tub."


So, I attached Heidi's leash back to her collar, and she happily trotted beside Bella as we navigated around tourists taking pictures on Hudson Street. Instinctively, I ducked my head to ensure my face wasn't visible in any of the shots.


"It's bad, isn't it?"


"What is?" I muttered. 


"Whatever you're hiding from."


"I don't really want to focus on that right now."


But I would have to, eventually. I couldn't let Bella entangle her life with mine unless she knew the entire truth. 


Her warm hand clasped mine, squeezing my fingers. Instead of shaking her off like I should—as my inner fear screamed at me to do—I squeezed back. 


Life is short, they say. If mine was destined to be shorter than most, maybe I should enjoy it instead of hiding from it. Even if it scared me half to death.













2 comments:

  1. Heidi is beautiful. I want to go to this place. It looks so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete