Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Fire In The Water Epilogue

Ward

Visiting Maryland wasn’t as stressful this time as it was the last time we were here. For one, no one was giving birth, and for two, I’d spent enough time in counseling to know how to deal with my emotions.

Chelsea was turning a year old, and I wouldn’t miss her party for the world. Bella and I had traveled here for the birth, staying with Beth and Mike for an entire week. I don't honestly know what we’d do without Riley and Jay; they kept our pets for us, ran the store in Bella’s absence, and even hired an employee for her. It seemed clear to me that Riley was the type to take in strays, since she subtly pushed Briana into applying for the position until she thought it was her own idea. The first few times I ran across her, she had a bit of idol worship for me that made me highly uncomfortable.


Until Riley told her to remember she’d been strong enough to leave Larry in the dust, and that she was a bright young woman capable of anything she set her mind to. That worked, and she stopped trying to fawn all over me with enough gratitude to make my skin itch.


While I was in therapy, Bella joined me frequently. We worked through her separation anxiety in time, and she stopped trying to push me away. Which was good, considering that I wasn't going anywhere. As a matter of fact, I’d proposed to her in her parents’ backyard during a BBQ full of friends and family. Ro cried more than Bella and Riley combined, and then the ladies segregated themselves to talk about wedding planning.


None of that bothered me. I wanted Bella happy, in whatever form that took, especially after she stood by my side when we arrived at the hospital in Maryland and my parents were there. I’d faced down the barrel of a gun, walked through the meanest inner-city streets, and been brutalized in prison, but none of that compared to facing the people who’d abandoned me in my darkest hour.


Carlisle was grilling the obstetrician, speaking to her in that holier-than-thou tone of voice he had used on me entirely too often. Esme sat in the corner of the waiting room beside the vending machine, sipping on a cup of subpar coffee. The table next to her was littered with half a dozen more cups, a handful of magazines, and her Chanel purse.


Bella gripped my hand tighter as we approached, and I squeezed it back. With several deep breaths, I relaxed my shoulders and straightened my back.


“Mother.”


Esme looked up at me, but might as well have looked through me for all the warmth in her eyes. “Tony.”


Years had passed since we’d seen each other or spoken, and that was the greeting she chose to go with.


“It’s not Tony anymore; it’s Ward.”


Her brows went up, and I noticed her lipstick feathering into the lines around her mouth. Constant frowning had burned permanent creases into her forehead, and even when her brows returned to normal, she appeared to be scowling. I was surprised she hadn't turned to plastic surgery yet.


“Why did you come?”


I heard Bella gasp quietly, but she covered it with a yawn. 


“Because Beth invited us,” I replied.


“And you are?” My mother had still not risen to greet me, but she glared at Bella.


“Bella Swan, Ward’s fiancé.”


My mother went back to the magazine in her lap. “Have you knocked her up and left yourself with no choice?”


Since there was really no point in continuing the conversation, I turned away from her and headed down the hall. My father glanced up as we passed, and he even said my old name. But I kept going, Bella by my side, to the room Mike had told me they were in.


I knocked first, and Mike opened the door. “Ward, Bella!”


He hugged us both, and I made my way over to the bed. “Been lying around all day making everyone wait on you?”


Beth smirked. “Try shoving a bowling ball through your ass first, and then we’ll compare notes about lying around.”


Leaning over, I hugged her, surprised when she didn’t let go. The head of the bed was raised enough that it wasn't too uncomfortable, but it was awkward.


“I love you, and I’m sorry to inflict Mom and Dad on you,” she said in my ear.


As soon as she released me, I straightened. “It’s only fair to have them here for this.”


“Maybe, but I’ve already threatened to throw them out. Dad keeps acting like no one here has ever successfully delivered any babies, and it’s driving the staff crazy.”


At her description, I grimaced. “I hate to be the one to tell you, but that’s what he was doing just now.”


“Mike!” Beth yelled. “Just go ahead and tell the nurse to ban them from the entire fucking hospital!”


His expression full of chagrin, he replied, “I sincerely doubt they’ll throw out one of their own, but I’ll relay the message.”


Mike walked out, and Bella came closer. “Have they always been this sanctimonious?”


“Not until after my attack. I don't know if they were disappointed in me or what, but they became much colder toward me. And then, of course, I wouldn't write off my brother as they had, so it made them even angrier.”


“Fortunately, I’ve moved past their betrayal. It doesn't bother me anymore.” The words were true—I felt them deep in my gut—and yet a small part of me wished it was different.


“I remember how many times my therapist had to repeat that it wasn't my fault before I believed her.” Beth settled back into the pillows a little more. “It’s not as if I spend all my time worried about what they think of me, but for fuck’s sake. Their first grandchild is about to be here, and all they can think of is themselves.”


~*~


Those memories were prevalent as we pulled up to the house my sister and her husband owned. Balloons were obvious from the driveway, floating high above the tables set up in the side yard. 


My father’s BMW sat there, a neon beacon of the shitshow to come.


“Ugh, they’re here?”


“Sorry,” was all I could offer to my wife.


“I guess I expected it.”


Rounding the car to open her door, I helped her stand and stretch out the kinks after so many hours of sitting down. “It’s weird because I never think of them throughout the year, so it’s almost as though they don’t actually exist.”


“Until they pop up at your sister’s house like a dark specter coming to suck out your soul.”


Beth came out the front door, my niece on her hip. “I’m so happy you made it.”


After exchanging hugs, I took Chelsea from her to carry her back into the house. Thankfully, she wasn't the type to cry over strangers, at least not yet. We’d seen each other a few months ago when Bella and I married, but I doubt she really recognized me. Our wedding was small, simple, and exactly what we wanted. After changing my name legally, I’d applied for the marriage license and we’d gotten an officiant to carry out the ceremony. My vet tech job made me happy, and I got off early enough to help Bella close the store before making dinner and spending the evening together. More importantly, I was proud of myself and my career.


Beth stopped in the kitchen, where Mike and a few of their friends we didn't really know were standing. “How’s the reno coming?”


“Not bad, now that I've learned how to tile.” Chelsea buried her face in my neck, and my soul felt completely at peace.


“I still can’t believe it’s ours,” Bella said. 


Though it was rambling and too large for the two of us, it was my biggest wish to give Bella anything she wanted. One day, the house would be spectacular again, and perfect for a big family with future generations. We’d managed to secure the house on the cliff before our wedding ceremony, so we had the sunset and the sea as our backdrop.


“How long was it in your family previously?” Beth asked, rearranging carrots and dip.


“Five generations,” Bella replied. “And it’s sad that old man Raoul couldn't keep it in better condition, or that his kids didn't want to help him with it.” 


I added, “After the years he raised them in the house, they have a shocking lack of sentiment.”


“Some people don't care about that stuff.”


Since Chelsea squirmed, I let her down. All she could do was stand there and bend her knees, and then she grabbed my leg so she wouldn't faceplant. Looking up at me with a drool-filled grin, she bounced a little more. My heart swelled, and I knew I was ready for one of my own.


“Is this the same woman you had with you last time, or are you swapping them out on a rotating basis?” Esme asked, rounding the corner from the dining room and narrowing her eyes on me and Bella.


I had to work hard not to shudder. “Same one.”


“Why do you have to greet them so rudely?” Beth shot at her. “For God’s sake, that’s your son and daughter-in-law.”


Esme sniffed. “Odd, I don’t remember attending a wedding.” 


“That’s because we didn't invite you.” Instead of standing around waiting for more insults, I picked Chelsea up and took Bella’s hand to lead her outside.


Beth followed, apologizing the entire way.


“Please stop taking responsibility for her shitty attitude,” I said to my sister. Others were gathered in the yard, so I kept my voice down. “It’s not on you to apologize.”


“I should just stop inviting them,” she muttered, taking her daughter from me.


“Not on my account. If you want them in her life, that’s perfectly fine.”


“Are they ever nice?” Bella asked. “Seriously, have they ever come here and been better than what I’ve seen?”


“With her?” Beth nodded at Chelsea, who was playing with her mother’s necklace. “You’d be shocked.”


“Then that’s what counts.”


~*~


About a year later, we had finally finished the renovations on the house, just in time to hold a housewarming/baby shower. Bella and I were expecting our son in approximately a month, and despite her protests, our friends and family insisted on throwing her a baby shower. Initially, we were both worried about becoming parents, much like any other couple, but with Riley’s example and my parents being a walking advertisement of what not to do, we came to realize it was best to follow our instincts and common sense.  


It was wonderful having everyone gathered around to celebrate the house and the baby’s anticipated arrival. Alice and Jasper generously supplied all the goodies, as well as the most gorgeous cake I’ve ever seen. Briana even attended with her new boyfriend, who she met while working at the store. Rose and Emmett were also expecting, but they still had months to go and thought it may be a girl. Beth and Mike were there with a now two-year-old Chelsea, who was getting into everything. Always her shadow, Heidi was just as vigilant about protecting her as she was about cleaning up any crumbs that may have fallen from her hand. Charlie sat on the deck overseeing the proceedings as if he had engineered the entire event. We fit together perfectly in this new life; me, Bella, Heidi, and Charlie. Working on the nursery was the perfect addition to the house that held so many memories for my wife, lovingly extending the family we’d created.


Life was good. I didn’t hear from my parents, and they were not invited to our home. It was better for all concerned. Bella didn’t need the stress, and it was obvious they were never going to change.


When I walked out of that prison three years ago, if someone had told me this was the life I would be granted, I never would have believed them. But I had the love of my life, who not only shared in all of our successes, but was there for me during my failures. I had gathered my own family and found the parents I always wanted and aspired to be in Riley and Jason. Our friends became my family, and we were always there for each other. And while I may have started out in life taking the wrong roads, they eventually led me to this astonishing life.


As I wrapped my arm around Bella’s shoulder and looked out at the setting sun creating fire on the water, I had never felt happier or more at peace.










3 comments:

  1. Lara this story really touched my heart. Ward was so precious who doesn’t love a man who’s good to his dog. This couple had me cheering for them to get to the HEA already. Port Townsend was a perfect romantic setting as it was also film location for Officer and Gentleman which I’m sure you know. Your stories always captivate me. I’m always in a hurry to finish then I’m disappointed when it is over. Best Wishes - Ajfflady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments so much. That's exactly why I write.

      Delete
  2. Loved this chapter. They really had a great story.
    As always, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete