Monday, July 17, 2017

Exonerated: A Perdition Outtake Story Chapter 3

I wanted to serve my time in peace because I simply felt that nothing would change the outcome, and it seemed too much to ask to make my family go through the heartache of appeals. I knew that I could take care of myself in that place, and I was right.

That’s not to say I ever enjoyed being incarcerated. I didn’t make friends, but I did make alliances. I established myself as someone not to be fucked with the very first time someone tried to pick a fight with me. I knocked him out flat and earned myself a three day stint in solitary, but that was fine by me, too. Nobody ever came up to me again looking to make me their bitch.

Edward visited me the most. I think after Charlie told everyone that it was Bella that testified because she was in love with me, he needed confirmation from me that nothing had happened, but he wouldn’t say it outright. I laughed so hard that he blushed, and then I informed him that I’d always seen little B as a sister. Other than that, I’d tried very hard to talk him out of his anger. He had a hard time seeing the big picture like I could, couldn't understand that there was more going on than what he saw right in front of him. In the long run, I dropped the subject. He had my daughter to worry about, and there were times he struggled with being a single dad.

I never let him bring Malone to the jail. It felt like she would forever be tainted if he did. He was awesome enough to bring pictures and to write down her firsts and her personality quirks. It was a strange feeling to miss a person I’d never met.

Stranger still to be told four years in that I was being released. To learn that Bella had worked to get me exonerated and struggled with taking on those responsible for this whole mess. My parents picked me up, looking for all the world like someone had died.

I’m ashamed to admit that I broke several things in my parents’ house when they told me Edward died in a fire. I scared my daughter; hell, I scared my parents. Alice and her little hands on my arm are what interrupted my tantrum. I took my rage and sorrow and plowed it into the arson investigation, insisting that everyone look again, and again, before I would accept his death.

When it seemed that each avenue had been explored, I shifted my focus, finally, to my daughter. She didn't know me, and I introduced myself as her Uncle Emmett that had been away.

“Uncle Emmett, Bella is my friend,” she would say, pronouncing it ‘Bewwa’. I watched them have intense conversations on the couch at Sue Clearwater’s house. Bella had been in a self-induced coma, it seemed, and watching her and Mallie warmed the cracks in my heart. I had a sister and a niece in the two of them, and I was struggling with the knowledge that I should be responsible for Mallie’s well-being.

Alice and Jasper shared with me that they planned to marry when she was finished with college, which I was fine with. I’d seen enough proof that he was nothing like his twin, and I knew they’d be happy. Despite Alice’s best efforts, she couldn’t bring Bella out of the shell she’d created when we learned that Edward had died. I was worried about her, immensely so. I’d named myself her protector by the time the memorial service came around.

I’ll never forget it; I doubt any of us would. Bella was falling apart at the seams, clinging to my arm, and I was just trying to hold her together. I heard somebody, but I was focused on her, and then she screamed my brother’s name so loud my heart stopped beating.

He looked like shit. White as a sheet with flushed cheeks, he passed out almost as soon as he saw Bella. Dad and I jumped up to catch him, and I could only think that I wanted to wring the necks of all the law enforcement officials that had sworn to us he was reduced to a pile of ashes left in his house.

The craziness that surrounded his return was worth every second. Bella was herself again, only more tired, Mom and Dad talked nonstop about how the family was complete again, and Alice chirped over and over about how happy she was. For a couple of days, I was terrified that I’d be thrown into the role of father to Mallie, and I know that’s selfish, but I just didn't have a fucking clue. Luckily, Edward was awake and willing to share her time with me so I could get to know her at a reasonable pace.

I set a goal of spending every Sunday with Malone, which had the bonus of giving Edward and Bella time to be alone as a new couple. At first they simply dropped her off at Mom and Dad’s, because I was living there, after all, and I was afraid to do something stupid and break her. My parents had a room for her, anyway.

“Uncle Emmett, watch me!” She scribbled like a madwoman on her pony coloring book. That kid loved to color.

“I see, wow. Purple,” I commented.

“Purpa!” she cheered.

I played dolls with her, and I was treated to more than one tea party. I wore tiaras and helped her put on plastic high heels and called her a princess. I learned how to help her in the bathroom, though the first time I thought I would die of embarrassment. She didn't want Grandma’s help, though, she wanted me.

It wasn’t hard to love that girl.

I brushed her tangled hair, only to learn that I was doing it wrong when her riot of curls turned into a big fuzzy ball that I had to stuff under a sun hat.

Yeah, I know what a sun hat is. Now.

“Uncle Emmett, watch me!” was the refrain all day long on Sundays. I took her to the playground, and the splash pad, and the diner. I took her to the store and bought her tiny toys she’d lose within a few hours, but that little grin killed me.

I watched her walk down the aisle for my brother's wedding, tossing her flower petals in the air and squealing as they floated down around her. I stood up for my brother as he married the best thing to ever happen to him, and I loved watching them commit to each other for life.

I don't know if it's a cliché or not, but I was moping at the thought of being single at a wedding. I saw people I knew, most of them happily married, and I was feeling depressed. Angela had been Bella’s matron of honor, and she and Ben danced, holding each other close and giving me a pang of jealousy.

“Is this seat taken?” I heard to my right.

I looked up into a pair of large, dark eyes and figuratively fell off my chair. The woman had a round face with high cheekbones and full lips, shiny black hair pulled back in what I thought might be some sort of bun, and a slender figure.

“No, go ahead,” I wheezed, my tie suddenly choking me.

“These things always bring out my jealous nature. I mean, look at my cousin and her husband dancing like the happiest couple on earth. And she just told me today that she’s pregnant. Meanwhile, I haven't been laid in so long I swear my vagina has closed up shop.” She huffed out a breath before turning to me with a sheepish smile.

“I’m Emmett Cullen.” I gave her my best smile.

“I’m Bree Weber.” She pushed at the hair that seemed determined to fall in her face.

“It’s great to meet you,” I told her sincerely. I was completely smitten.

“Uncle Emmett, watch me!” I heard, and I laughed as I turned to watch Mallie dancing. I hoped some things would never change.


No comments:

Post a Comment