Monday, July 24, 2017

Exonerated: A Perdition Outtake Story Chapter 4

From the wedding forward, Bree and I were inseparable. She came with me to my Sundays with Mallie, she had dinner at my parents’ house with me, and she grew close to Bella. When Bella was back in college, Bree often babysat Mallie. That girl was ‘fought over’ constantly; the Clearwaters wanted her, my parents and Alice and Jasper wanted her, even Angela and Ben offered to watch her. Let’s just say Edward and Bella never had a hard time finding a sitter.

Two years after Bella married my brother, I married Bree Weber. She was the breath of fresh air I had been waiting for, a non-judgemental, loving and caring woman. She encouraged me to finish my school credits and get hired at the high school to teach math like I’d always dreamed. And I was damn good at it, too. I was finally fulfilled in my life.

“Emmett!” my wife called from the living room.

“Yeah, babe!”

She came into the kitchen, her cheeks pink and her eyes bright. “Do you think Mallie will mind if we bring another child along on Sundays?”

“Are you serious? That kid loves everybody. She should run for mayor when she grows up.” I stared at the newspaper in front of me for another whole minute before what she said sunk in.

Then I was out of my chair in a flash, wrapping Bree’s slender body up in my embrace. I backed up a little, looking from her eyes down to her stomach. My hands could more than span her belly, and I did so reverently now. “Really? Are you telling me you’re pregnant, love?”

She hiccuped a laugh, and I straightened to hug her again. “Yes. It’s true. Can you believe it?”

“Oh, I’m going to spoil the fuck out of you,” I promised.

“You already do,” she giggled.

Bree’s dark eyes shined at me. Bella had just announced that she was pregnant, so now we would have children the same age.

We named our son Ethan, for Bree’s father. Edward and Bella named their son Mack, for me. My middle name, McCarty, had been passed down from one of Mom’s relatives. The four of us were ecstatic to be expanding our families.

Mallie, not so much.

“I’m changing my name to Sarah, because Malone is just stupid! And I can’t believe you two are as bad as Mom and Dad with all the goo-goo stuff. Jeez, they’re just babies. You’re not the first to ever have any.”

I stared at the beautiful girl that still didn't know I was her dad. At 7, she was a feisty handful. “Mal, don't be that way. We all love you just as much as ever. You have plenty of family members fighting to spend time with you. Don't pout.”

“Ugh. Even Aunt Alice is going to have a baby now. What is with all of you pro-crating?”

“Um, I think you mean procreating, and where on earth did you hear that term?” Bree stepped in to save me from losing my mind with my daughter.

Mallie looked down, scuffing the toe of her shoe across the floor. “School,” she mumbled. Ethan could be heard fussing as he woke up from his nap. Mallie’s head snapped up, looking in the direction of the baby monitor.

“Honey, do you want to help me get him?” Bree asked gently. We both watched as the war of emotions played over Malone’s face.

Finally, she nodded. “He likes it when I sing to him,” she grudgingly admitted.

Crisis averted, for now.

We were waiting for her to be a little older before telling her who her parents truly were, mostly because of Rose’s history. I wasn’t looking forward to telling her that her mother was an actual crack whore. Fun times, right?

At nine, Malone was almost as smart as I was as an adult. She was in advanced classes at school, and the teachers were talking about her skipping a grade. I wasn't sure that was best for her, because she was still a little immature. When Bella told us they were expecting again, I finally insisted on telling Malone that she’s adopted.

So here we sit, me fidgeting like a crazy person. Mom agreed to take Ethan and Mack for the day so Bree and I could get together with Edward and Bella to talk to Mal.

“Mallie, we need to have a serious talk,” Edward starts.

“I already know about the new baby,” she says, glancing at Bella.

Bella smiles. “Yes, sweetheart. That’s not it, though.”

Mal looks from me to Bree, over to Edward and Bella. “Oh, well, if Aunt Bree isn't pregnant, then you’re finally going to tell me I’m adopted?”

I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard us quite that silent before. I finally clear my throat. “What- what makes you say that?” I hedge.

“Well, for starters, I look nothing like Mom or Dad. Mack is the spitting image of Dad, er, Edward. And Ethan looks exactly like you, Uncle Emmett.” She pauses for a second, while the rest of us sit there, stunned. “And Ethan looks just like he’s my brother,” she continues.

“So, you wouldn't be surprised if I told you who your parents are?” I squeak. I clear my throat again.

“I mean, it’s been obvious to me for a little while that you’re my dad,” she admits to me softly.

Bree wraps her arm around my shoulder as tears leak from the corners of my eyes. Malone is so smart, and I don’t even know where she gets it from.

Edward speaks up. “I’ve taken care of you since you were born. I don't guess you remember Bella coming into our lives when you were four?”

“I know I was at your wedding, I’ve seen the pictures. I thought at first that you just got married later, after you had me.”

“Your dad and I- Edward and I,” Bella corrects herself. “We dated in high school, and I left for a few years. When I moved back, we got together again, and you and I grew very close. I married your dad, and I adopted you.”

“That’s good. Because I’ve always loved you as my mom and dad,” Malone states matter-of-factly.

“I couldn't care for you when you were born, and your mom…” I trail off, looking around the room desperately for the right words.

“Your birth mom was sick, and she had to go away. But I’m sure she loved you, honey. Edward worked very hard to be a great dad, and you’ve always been loved,” Bree says, saving us all. “Edward and Bella are your mom and dad, in every way that counts. Emmett is your Uncle Emmett, legally, but he’s also your biological dad.”

Mallie nods her head for a second before coming over to me. I stare into her bright blue eyes until she places her delicate hands on my cheeks. “I have felt something from you for as long as I can remember. I know you love me, but Uncles just do. I knew it was more than that, and then I started to notice that I look just like you. I have your eyes, your nose, your mouth, and your hair. I can see that you’re my dad, and I love you. But I get to still live with Mom and Dad, right?”

I have to bite back a sob, nodding my head. I don’t want to disrupt what they have. “Yes, baby girl,” I whisper.

“Are you having a boy or a girl?” she suddenly asks Bella.

Bella laughs, and I spot tears on her cheeks, too. “It’s a girl,” she answers.

“Cool. Can we name her Marie? That’s your middle name, right, Mom? Malone, Mack, and Marie. The Three Musketeers.” She beams.

“I think we can swing that,” Edward tells her.

And everything is back to normal. Thank God.



No comments:

Post a Comment