Wednesday, August 29, 2018

1,500 Acres Chapter 16

The next morning found me on the porch with my coffee, as was my habit. It had snowed more overnight, and I loved to see my land and buildings covered in it. It gave everything a hushed, reverent feel. I’d already slipped on my muddy boots and wound my way to the horse barn, so there were tracks from me and Rusty, but other than that the snow was clean and smooth and perfect looking. I breathed deeply, enjoying the clean smell and crisp air.

Edward came out the front door and dropped a blanket over my legs. “Love, you’ll catch a cold.”

I pulled the blanket up close to my neck and snuggled into it; it smelled like him. “That’s a myth, sweetheart.”

“Still. I don't want you to freeze.”

He sat next to me, staring off into the distance at pretty much nothing. The only view from the front porch was snow-covered bushes and the dirt road that was currently hidden. Beyond that was a neighbor’s fields and a vast nothingness. It was amazing.

“Not with this blanket you’ve so thoughtfully brought me.” I spread half of it over his lap before pushing off with my feet and sending the swing rocking gently. He scooted closer and brought his arm around me so I tilted my face to kiss him. “Now it’s perfect.”

It was, really. Sometimes I still wasn't sure how I had exactly what I needed and wanted. It wasn't technically perfect, but it was perfect for me. When I was married, a time I never wanted to reminisce on but occasionally did anyway, I thought God had forsaken me. I felt like He’d abandoned me, and I felt that way long after I was set free. But now it felt like He’d held onto me and kept me safe until the time that love could come to me. There was the promise of more, I just didn't know it when I was going through it. I’d become a better version of myself under the tender love and care of Edward during the summer that changed my fate, and I’d grown stronger than I ever believed possible when he left and I thought he wouldn't return. Now it felt like I had my reward for my persistence. It was blissful.

“Do you know, Edward, that I love the way you take care of me? Even if I might occasionally grumble, I love that you think of me and go out of your way to make sure I’ve got what I need.”

His arm tightened around me. “I guess it's in my nature. I don't think about it, I just do what comes to me. I care about you, and want to care for you.”

“I love that about you.”

I tipped my head until it rested on his shoulder and we rocked in silence. The combination of the warm mug, the warm blanket, and yes, the warm man, made me comfortably sleepy. I yawned.

“I kept you up too late, didn't I?”

I chuckled and flushed as I remembered the many ways he'd proved how happy he was to say goodbye to his parents. The nap I’d had revived me enough that I was ready to join him in whatever he wanted, but now I was a little tired.

“I’d trade sleep for sex with you any day of the week.”

“Good to know.”

We watched as a truck came into view down the dirt road, snow flying up behind its tires. “That’ll be Seth,” I commented.

Edward hummed in agreement and didn't move. I was so content to stay right there that I didn't even get up to greet Seth as he pulled in and parked.

He got out wearing a heavy sheepskin jacket and cowboy hat. “Morning, you two.”

“Morning, Seth,” Edward answered.

“How is Vera this morning?” I asked.

“Fit as a fiddle, she is. Craving your apple butter, Miss Bella.”

I waved my hand around. “Feel free to take her what I’ve got in the cellar.”

“Thank you kindly.”

“Not a problem. I’ve seen to the horses already this morning.”

“Good, good.”

He ambled off in the direction of the backyard and the plethora of jobs that awaited him. “I need to hire a hand to help him out.”

“I’ve been thinking the same,” Edward said. “I talked to Mr. Greene at the paper about placing an ad. We’ve worked out what it should say. He said to let him know when we were ready.”

“Huh. Aren't you clever?”

“Anything to help you out.”

“Yeah, that's true, isn’t it?”

We spent a few more minutes in silence as I thought about what I wanted. I was so busy every day, always going and going, doing more than what was needed because it gave me a sense of pride and satisfaction to accomplish everything. Sometimes I just wanted to do nothing, but I never allowed myself that luxury.

“I want a lazy day,” I declared.

Edward planted his feet so the swing stopped abruptly. I held my coffee cup in the air to minimize any spillage. “What did you just say?”

I laughed, and damn, it felt good. My breath left a cloud behind. “I want to wrap presents and make mulled cider. I want to build a fire and then just sit in front of it with you. How does that sound?”

He grabbed my mug from me and set it on the windowsill next to him. He grasped my face and kissed me, long and deep, exploring and tasting, sending tingles and fire spreading. “I think that's an excellent idea,” he said when he finally released me.

I had to cling to his shoulders for support. “Good grief, you can't just plunder me like that and then be all casual about it.”

One of his eyebrows arced up to his hairline. “Oh, you thought I was starting something?”

“Just admit if you can't finish it.”

“Can’t—” He broke off like he couldn't even fathom what I’d just said, then stood abruptly. The swing went wild at the sudden movement, and I gripped the edges of the seat to hold myself steady. “Let’s go, little lady.”

I laughed loudly as he scooped me up into his arms and moved to the door. He fumbled with the knob and had to set me down, causing me to laugh even louder. He was ridiculous and cute, and yeah, he was so damn sexy when he was trying to prove a point.

He got the door open and swung me up again. He was stronger from working the farm with me, but he was still uncoordinated, so I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe by the time he let me down near the cold fireplace. I sat on the stone hearth and watched him.

“Just so you know, I was planning on asking if you wanted me to make breakfast, but since we have things to prove now, this is what you're getting for breakfast instead.”

As he spoke he lit the logs that were already laid, adding a few more small ones from the basket on the hearth. I nodded very seriously as he explained his thoughts on breaking my fast.

“Well, bring it over here then.”

He stopped and stared at me, and I could see on his face the moment that what I said sank in. “You’re naughty this morning.”

“You started it,” I accused.

“And now I’m going to finish it.”

When he stepped closer and tried to pull me up, I shook my head and reached for his sleep pants. I bit my lip as I thought about what I was going to do. All it took was pulling out the elastic waistband and grabbing his hips to bring him close enough to wrap my lips around him. He made a gurgling sound in his throat, and I leaned away for a second to yank my jacket and my shirt over my head. He groaned, throwing his head back before looking down at me as I went back to my task. I took it very seriously, trying out different actions with my tongue and the level of suction just to see what kind of reaction I could get out of him.

His hands came to my shoulders, which was generally the sign that I’d better stop unless I wanted everything to come to a screeching halt. I stood and walked to the couch, removing my pants and waiting for him to join me. He undressed—he was deft when it came to stripping—and lowered me to the cushions.

“You drive me crazy in the best way,” he said as he made love to me.

What could I do but smile and enjoy the ride?

We weren't elegant or skillful, but we were good at going with instinct. Touches and caresses turned into sighs and moans, and my toes curled against the tingling that washed over my entire body seconds before I came.

I woke up some time later fully refreshed. I could smell sausage and eggs and coffee coming from the kitchen, so I dropped the blanket I was covered with and got dressed. Edward was all smiles as he greeted me with a kiss and another cup of coffee to replace the one I hadn't finished earlier. We ate and chatted about inane matters, like the newspaper ad for the help we needed to hire, and when we thought we could sell the pigs. I wanted to get married in April, but it would be a little too cool for an outdoor wedding. We figured the beginning of May would work in our favor both temperature- and money-wise. We wrapped our gifts after eating, and made plans on when to exchange them with everyone.

Time typically moved slowly in the winter, but this year it flew past. We had all of our friends over at our house on Christmas Day, which was a lesson in patience for me. I loved them all, but it was too many people in my tiny living room. I wanted more space, but that wasn't even on my list of things to accomplish. I had bedrooms to put the youngest ones in for their nap, and premade food so I didn't have to crowd my kitchen. The tree Edward and Seth cut down for me was in front of the window, beautifully lit up. It was the first Christmas I’d had surrounded by family and friends since I was a young girl.

Vera was lovely with her pregnant belly, and Alice had given birth to a healthy boy the first week of December. Jessica was due just after the new year, and I ignored her constant complaining because I felt sorry for her.

Edward caught me snuggling up with Alice’s baby, smelling the top of his head and swaying gently with him.

“We need to get started on one of those,” he said near my ear.

I looked up into his eyes. “I agree.”

He grinned. “Yeah?”

“Oh yeah.” I looked back down at Finn and imagined holding a similar version. One with Edward’s red hair and green eyes would please me to no end. “I’m so ready.”

“That’s incredibly good to know.” He hugged me, trailing a fingertip over Finn’s soft cheek.

“Wow, I just felt my ovaries explode. I guess we’re out of luck now,” I joked.

He chuckled. “Only you could turn me on while holding someone else’s baby.”

“Only then?” I glanced at him again as I laughed.

That time he trailed his finger over my cheek. “No, all the time. Only you.”

“Okay, Bella, it’s your turn,” Rose interrupted.

I looked up at the rest of the room and realized that time hadn't stopped just because we were having a moment. “Sorry, guys.”

I handed Finn to Jasper and took my spot on the floor in front of the fireplace so I could take my turn opening one gift. We were going in a circle opening one at a time. I’d received new gloves, rubber boots, a shawl, and several books.

It was easily the best Christmas I’d ever had, even including the years when my dad was alive and he played Santa for me. This was the life I’d worked to build, full of love and special friends. The only thing I wanted more than living in this moment was to have them all come back in May to witness me legally bind myself to the best thing to ever happen to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment