Wednesday, August 15, 2018

1,500 Acres Chapter 14

I suppose I should have seen it coming, but it didn't occur to me until it was too late. When we all returned to the barn to hand our horses off to Seth, Carlisle tried to climb off Blaze by himself. The sight of him struggling to throw his leg over Blaze’s neck was so undignified, but that wasn't what made me shout for him to stop and let someone help. His ankle was turned in the stirrup as he swung his other leg over the saddle horn, and as a result he got tangled and fell off. It wasn't simply him falling, which would have been bad enough. It was that he was near the entrance of the stalls, where puddles had formed after the snow melted. Carlisle ended up ass first in sloppy mud.

Edward laughed first. I couldn't find the humor in it at that point, though there would be plenty of time for that later when I thought back to what had happened. Esme laughed next, and I was surprised that she found it funny.

“Mr. Cullen!” I was quick to hop off Harley and hurry over to help Carlisle up, squatting and holding out a hand and trying to ignore the way he batted at it like it burned him. “Are you all right?”

“Just fine, thanks.” Of course, his tone was anything but fine. It was obvious he was humiliated.

“Let me help you, for crying out loud.” I reached for him once more.

“You’ve been enough help!” he shouted at me, and I recoiled, almost falling back on my own butt. “I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you!”

I scrambled to back away from him, my heart in my throat and my hands muddied and slippery. Flashes of cruel fists lashing out at me surfaced, and I whimpered. I didn't know what kind of a man he was when cornered and angry. I swallowed fiercely so that my voice would not tremble. “I would appreciate you not shouting at me.”

Edward was off Maria and by my side at that point, and he helped me to my feet from the awkward crouch I’d ended up in. Carlisle wouldn't look at me or his son, just struggled to his feet and slid around on his expensive shoes in the mud.

“I can’t believe you just spoke to her that way,” Edward said in a very low tone. I was pretty sure it was his pissed-off voice, though I’d never had it aimed at me.

Esme made her way over after accepting Seth’s help off her horse. She came to me, brushing bits of straw off my forearms and smoothing her hand down my braid. Tears sprung to my eyes as I realized she’d checked on me before her own husband.

You.” It didn't take long for her to round on him. “Obviously our talk earlier was useless. I didn't marry a snob, Carlisle Cullen. I did not marry a man that would be so disrespectful to a woman. You need to apologize to Bella, and realize that it’s your own stubbornness and stupidity that landed you on your ass.”

She was inching closer to him, and he did look ashamed of himself. He was looking at the ground, his shoulders sagging under her tirade.

“And unless you want to end up on your ass when we return to Seattle, I suggest you straighten the hell up and act like the gentleman I thought you to be.”

Edward chuckled in my ear as he leaned in to my side. “How are you?”

I wasn't sure hot was an appropriate answer, but he made my temperature rise being that close to me. “I think I’m okay. Worried about this,” I answered in an undertone as I gestured to his parents.

“Let’s go in the house and get you cleaned up.”

My brow wrinkled as I contemplated leaving them to fend for themselves. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, they’ll be fine. My mother has found her backbone, Bella.”

I guessed he was right. We walked through the stables to the entrance at the other end, passing Seth. He winked at me, and I assumed he would stay and referee. It was time to fix lunch, anyway, so we went inside and straight to our bathroom to dig out a washcloth. The mud was caking on the front of my shirt and the sleeves of my coat, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been—definitely not as bad as Carlisle.

“He’ll need a shower and clean clothes,” I mentioned, and Edward nodded before leaving me alone.

I washed my face and hands before pulling on a new shirt and re-braiding my hair, then headed for the kitchen. I’d made a beef stew that morning, and it was simmering in the crock pot. Pulling out the sourdough that was left to rise, I set it aside and preheated the oven. Domestic chores soothed me; they were what I knew. Rusty scratched at the back door, so I let him in and brought his water bowl to the sink to rinse and refill. I heard Edward coming down the stairs, and then he was wrapping his arms around me from behind as I turned off the faucet.

“You’d tell me if you really weren’t okay, right?”

I sighed and set the bowl down in the sink. The porcelain was chipped in a few places, the cast iron showing through. I ran my finger over one of those rough spots as I answered him. “I admit, he startled me when he raised his voice. I haven't heard anyone yell in at least a year, and I hate the way it made me feel. But I don't want to let it bother me.”

“It’s understandable, baby. You might always be skittish around loud voices.” He moved my braid over my shoulder so he could kiss the back of my neck. “I just hate that it was my father that scared you.”

“I don't know how to win him over, Edward. He makes me break all the rules I set for myself.”

I felt him tense, his hands on my shoulders turning me gently. “What do you mean, rules?”

I looked up into his concerned eyes. “I vowed to never be afraid of someone again. To stand up for myself, and not just accept crappy behavior because I thought I had to. I vowed to never let anyone make me feel violated in my own home, ever again.”

“Aw, hell, Bella.”

He squeezed me tighter, holding me to his chest like I was precious. I heard someone behind him, a low sound in their throat. I nudged Edward so he would loosen his hold enough that I could peer around his arm. Sure enough, there stood Esme and a muddy Carlisle.

“I’m so sorry, Ms.—Bella. I had no idea. I regret that I made you feel that way.”

It was a start, so I took a step toward him. Or, I tried to. Edward wouldn't let go of me. I looked up at him pointedly, and he relaxed the shackling hold he had on me. He was so determined to protect me from his father.

“I will accept your apology, Mr. Cullen. There’s a bathroom upstairs, second door on the right, and Edward has laid out some clean clothes you can wear.”

That was about as polite as I thought I could be, so I went about putting the water dish down and putting the dough in the oven. Edward got bowls and the fresh butter, and even Esme came in and set about helping. She found napkins in the hutch and set them on the table. I’d had Edward and Seth dig in the shed for another two chairs, which they’d had to power wash and leave out to dry. They were so rickety that I was actually worried about anyone sitting in them, but I didn't see any alternative. My house didn't have a dining room.

I assumed Carlisle was cleaning up since I heard the pipes groan as they were turned on. I figured he heard me and Edward talking, more specifically, my confession about how he’d made me feel things I’d planned on never feeling again. I hated to be scared, nervous about what might happen, and cautious around someone that was meant to be family.

Needing a moment of fresh air, I stepped out the back door and stood on the little patch of concrete that constituted a stoop. It was too cold to be out there without my jacket, but I’d left it inside by the washing machine. I spotted Seth heading my way, and I waved.

“Miss Bella.” He nodded in greeting as he came closer. “Has everybody cooled down?”

“Yes. Thank you for helping today. I know it’s extra work.”

He scoffed. “I don't reckon it’s extra, just rearranged some. They’re meant to be your family soon, and we look after family.”

Now I scoffed, only it sounded more like a child blowing a raspberry. “I don't think I like the idea of becoming that man’s family.”

“If I may speak my mind,” he began, and I nodded. “He’s out of place, sure, but he’s feeling a loss. He doesn't understand why his son picked a dirt farm over a slick office because it’s not a choice he would have ever made. If mine were to say he wanted to go to the big city to live and work, I’d think he’d lost his durn mind. But, and it’s a big but, I’d let him go and pursue his dreams, while Mr. C isn’t sure how to let go of the future he envisioned with his only child. He’s defensive because Mr. Edward picked you over him, and he’s just having a hard time getting over it.”

“You make a good point.” I rose up on my toes and kissed his cheek, enjoying the way he blushed. “There’s stew.”

“I’ll have some, but I won’t impose on your kitchen.”

“There isn’t the room, sorry.”

“Yes, ma’am, I know. It’s fine.”

Seth would typically wait to eat lunch until after Edward and I were through, despite me offering for him to go first or for him to sit while I stood. He simply wouldn't hear of it.

“You’re a good man, Seth, in case I haven't told you lately.”

He smiled shyly. “I believe you have, Miss Bella.”

I smiled in return and went back in the house with Seth following me. I could smell the bread, a good indication it was almost done. Edward ladled stew for Seth, and I heard the pipes squawk as they were shut off. I pulled the bread from the oven and asked Seth if he would wait for it to cool enough to be sliced. Right then I realized that life was going to go on as it did, whether Mr. Cullen ever accepted me in Edward’s life or not. My ranch would continue to run, my love for Edward would continue to thrive and multiply, and we would continue to be successful. My life did not hinge on one person's approval of me.

It was a ridiculously freeing feeling, and a laugh bubbled up. Soon I was cackling, bending over and holding the counter for support. Edward rested his hand on my back and worried I was losing my mind, I assumed.

“I had an epiphany,” I tried to explain through breathless laughter.

“Care to share?” he asked, still looking unsure.

“I just realized that life is going to go on regardless of who likes me and who doesn't. The ranch will still be here next week, even though your parents won’t.” I shot a look at Esme in apology, and she smiled as though she understood.

“You're right, Bella,” she said. “And it’s a good attitude to have in life.” She came to me for a hug, and I enjoyed the feel of it. It was different from my girlfriends' hugs. Motherly, I guess. It was nice to know she was in our corner.

“Now who would like to eat?” I asked.

I wore a smile for the rest of the day. It didn't matter that Carlisle didn't speak to me or meet my eyes during lunch. He thanked me for the meal in an overly polite manner, and it was fine with me. It was enough.

We showed them the heifers and the milking machine. I showed them how to churn butter the old fashioned way, and then we played with the butter making machine. I showed them the silo and the machinery shed with my combine. I showed them the apple and pear trees, and noticed a frown on Esme’s face.

“How do you get around? Always on horseback?”

“That, or walking. I considered buying a golf cart, but we’re hoping to buy a truck with the money from the next steer auction. Right now I pay to have my groceries delivered, or one of our friends lets us hitch a ride when they go.”

Her frown increased, and Carlisle was watching her warily. “And when is that auction?”

“In six weeks. Why, Mom?”

“Well, I know that you aren't aware of this, but your grandparents on my side of the family left you a large sum of money. You just can’t access it until you’re twenty-one.”

I gasped and Edward choked a little. “Really?”

“Yes, dear, it’s a tidy sum. Your father didn't want you to think you could slack off until you inherited, so he never said anything.”

“When have I ever slacked off?”

“It’s a fair point, but that’s not where I’m going with this. When were you planning on getting married?”

By this point Carlisle was practically oozing steam, but he didn't open his mouth.

“In Spring, after the pigs are big enough to sell. It’ll be enough for us to file for the certificate and pay off Edward's ring. We’re only having something small, possibly in the orchards. We would love for you to come, of course, once we can nail down the date.” I smiled when Esme took my hand in hers.

“I want to buy you a truck for your engagement and wedding gift.” She plowed on despite her husband’s agitated groan. “Nothing too fancy, but new enough that it won’t break down on you.”

“Oh, no, Mrs. Cullen —”

“Esme.”

“—Esme, we couldn't accept. It’s too generous.”

“For once I agree with her, Esme,” Carlisle began.

Shut. It.

I had to grin at the way she spoke to him. “Seriously, we can’t.”

“Yes, we can,” Edward piped up. I turned to look at him.

“What? No. I’ve never taken anything from anybody I couldn't pay back or return the favor.”

“And I love that about you, which is why I think you deserve this. It would make things so much easier on you, and that’s my main concern.” He looked past me to his parents. “Thank you, Mom, I would love to accept your generous gift.”

“Esme, please be reasonable—”

“I’m done with your version of reasonable, Carlisle! It’s caused a rift between you and your son, and I won't lose him because of your refusal to see what’s right in front of you. He loves her, can’t you see that? He’s never been this content at home, or in the office. He's never looked at someone the way he looks at Bella. And dare I say he’s good for her?” Esme brought her arm around me and kind of hugged me sideways. “She seems to rely on him for some things, the way he relies on her. Stop being such a stubborn mule and open your eyes.”

We were pretty much all speechless after that, except for Esme.

“Now, I need to find my pocketbook and a newspaper.”

I could only gape at her as she headed off toward the house.

“See, she’s found that her spine is straight and strong. Let’s go inside so she’s not rummaging forever for a newspaper with no vehicles in the classifieds.”

I didn't know what to think or say. Esme was obviously on our side, and my affection for her grew. Things would be all right, just as I’d realized earlier.



2 comments: