Wednesday, August 1, 2018

1,500 Acres Chapter 12

Mr. and Mrs. Cullen were coming to my home. There was no doubt in my mind that they were going to judge my ranch and me, and they were going to give Edward a hard time for wanting to live here. I was sure he would tell them he was in love and wanted to marry me, and they would tell him his decisions were ruled by his dick. It was what I would have said to my child if they suddenly wanted to give up a stable job in the family business to go live in a city they knew nothing about after only a few months working on a ranch with a widow who became his lover.

A flush rose to my cheeks as I threw chicken feed on the ground. Would they take one look at me and know what I’d done with their son? What he’d done to me? Would it be written all over my face, obvious and unavoidable?

The hens cluck-clucked around me, happy in their little world. I lifted the back wall of their house to check the nests. They had extra straw for keeping warm, but most of them were empty this late in the day since I'd pulled a half dozen eggs this morning.

My thoughts went back to the Cullens. I was only a few years younger than them. They were in their early forties, barely ten years older than me. Edward had continually told me not to panic, but how could I not? He'd finally sent me outside for fresh air, as he put it, but I figured I was driving him crazy. He was going over our finances after he'd uploaded everything to his laptop. Having internet out here was foreign as all hell to me. I'd never even contemplated it before, but it made perfect sense. Edward had set up a website for my goods, and now I shipped all over the place. He had business cards sitting out in the Newtons’ store near my jams and pies, inviting people to special order for gifts. It had sort of exploded from there, my little baking business. I didn't know if it was because my recipes really were better than anyone else's or because they were too tired at the end of a long day to want to make everything from scratch like they used to. My jams and pies had professional looking labels stuck to them, and I was thinking about trying to add to my inventory. My cellar could hold more, I just didn't know if I had enough time in the day. I was considering asking Vera if she wanted to join in this venture with me, adding her quilts to my country store-style website.

I heard a car horn and looked up, my heart in my throat. “Oh thank God.” It was Rose, stepping out of her car looking like the definition of a country girl with her braided pigtails and jeans, the collar of her plaid shirt visible under her coat.

“Hey, Bella!” she called and waved.

I hugged the shit out of her when she got close enough. “Did Edward call you?”

“Yeah, he said you were going a little nuts and he didn't know what to do about it.”

“What if they hate me, Rose? What if they berate him until he agrees to go back home? What if they guilt trip him and he realizes he's unhappy here?”

“And what if they see what you're building together, with the added business and the new animals? What if they see how he's expanded your income and makes you incredibly happy? What if they love you?”

I took an uneven breath. “Do you think they will?”

“Well, I don't know of anybody that doesn't like you. They might need a few minutes to warm up to you, but you’ll do fine. Do you want me to wait until they’ve come and then I'll see myself out after the introductions?”

“I think I need the moral support.” I bit my lip.

“Okay.”

She and I checked over the horse’s stalls, adding feed and straw. It was damn cold outside; the forecast was calling for snow by this evening. I needed to ensure my animals were well prepared before I could meet anybody’s parents and worry about how they would receive me. I calmed as I stroked Lucy’s widening midsection. She was looking ripe and her coat was gleaming.

By the time they actually arrived, I was on the back side of the dormant pumpkin patch and didn't even hear their approach. Thankfully, I had a foreman that was more perceptive than me.

“Miss Bella?” I heard him call.

“Yeah, Seth?” I called back as I spread more straw over the frozen ground from the wheelbarrow close to my side.

“You have visitors.”

I dropped down into a squat. “Shit.”

Rose laughed at me. “Come on, Bella. Time to meet the in-laws.”

I squeezed my eyes shut. “They're not my in-laws yet.”

Yet.”

I sighed, then pushed myself off my knees. I was an adult and I would act like one. I clapped my gloves together to knock off the worst of the dirt and pulled them off, tucking them in my back pocket as I walked toward the driveway. It still wasn't paved, but at least the dust wasn't bad this time of year. There was a sedate looking four door car parked next to Rosalie’s, and a couple standing there talking to Seth. The man was tall, wearing a long overcoat over slacks. The woman was in pants and a… good God, was that a fur coat?

“What the hell?” Rose whispered.

“Is that really fur?” I whispered back.

She shot me an incredulous look.

The front door opened as we neared the porch, and I was never more grateful for Edward’s timing. He came down the porch steps as Rose and I rounded the side of the house, and he paused so we could meet up with him to walk down the driveway toward his parents. His hand brushed mine, linking our pinkies.

“Relax,” he said quietly.

Yeah, easier said than done, pal.

“Mom, Dad.”

They looked up from chatting with Seth and smiled at Edward. She was more open and friendly in her posture and expression, while he was more closed off. Not surprising.

“I see you met our foreman, Seth. This is Bella Swan,” he continued as we drew close enough to shake hands. “And this is our friend and neighbor Rosalie McCarty. My parents, Carlisle and Esme Cullen.”

“Ms. Swan.” Mrs. Cullen was the first to offer a hand. Hers were cool and smooth when we shook, and I cringed inwardly at how callused mine must have felt to her.

“It’s just Bella, please.”

Mr. Cullen held his hand in my direction, so I took it. He touched me briefly before dropping his hand and slipping it into his pocket. Undeterred, I smiled brightly at them. “Would you like to come in out of the cold?”

“Yes, thank you,” Mrs. Cullen replied.

“Did you get checked in to the bed and breakfast?” Edward asked as we trooped toward the porch.

I let them all proceed me so I could have a word with Seth. “Are you coming in, or would you like to leave for the day?”

“Oh, I have one or two last things to do before I leave for the day, Miss Bella.”

I realized that he was the same age as the Cullens, and yet he seemed so much younger. “Don't stay too late.”

He smiled at me and wandered off, and I headed inside the house to face the parents. They were standing in my living room, which made it feel so crowded. Unlike harvest time, where everyone made themselves at home and nobody was afraid to sit on the floor, this felt awkward and stilted.

“Would you like coffee?” I offered as I removed my coat and hung it on the hall tree near the door. I pulled off my muddy boots and slipped into the house shoes I always left sitting there.

“Bella has pie, if you’d like. She always has pie.” I smiled at Edward gratefully.

“I’ll help,” Rose offered.

As Rose and I moved into the kitchen, I heard them speaking quietly behind me. It occured to me that no one had actually agreed to coffee and pie, but I needed to escape. As soon as we were out of view, I spun to Rose. “They're so cold!”

“I noticed.” It was clear I didn't mean the weather.

“They're out there looking down their noses at everything I have.”

I started the coffeemaker as Rose dished up pie. “They do seem to be, but this place has been in your family for generations. It’s small because of the year it was built, that’s all.”

“Thanks for trying to make me feel better. I hope they don't want to stay for dinner. I don't know where they’d sit.”

Rose laughed. “Ramrod straight on the edge of the understuffed wing backs.”

I snickered, then glanced at the doorway to make sure they were still talking. “Don't leave me,” I said in a low but desperate tone to Rose.

She patted my shoulder. “Sorry, sweets. I have to go feed my littles and you have to make nice to Mr. Freeze and Elsa.”

“Turncoat.” I handed her a pie to take home with her.

She smiled and kissed my cheek before slipping out the back door. I suppressed a sigh and brought the coffee tray in to the living room. I set it down on the coffee table and went back for the pie.

“We were hoping for a recommendation on where to eat,” Mr. Cullen said to his son as I rejoined them. They hadn't removed their coats, but they had sat down. In exactly the manner Rose suggested they would.

“There's a diner in town that has good homemade food,” Edward replied.

“Oh. Would there be anything… more upscale than that?” Mrs. Cullen asked somewhat tactfully.

Edward shook his head. “I told you ahead of time what to expect.”

“You’re right. The diner will be fine. I wouldn't want to impose on you for the evening. We can come back tomorrow after we’re properly rested, if that’s okay?” Mrs. Cullen glanced at me. I nodded.

“Please, stay for a few minutes and have coffee and pie,” Edward answered.

“If you insist.” Mrs. Cullen, who had not offered for me to call her by her first name, took the plate I offered and handed it to her husband. He took it reluctantly. I handed her a mug, and she passed it off as well. Mr. Cullen looked like he didn't know what to do with any of it, and I tried not to roll my eyes. I passed more coffee and more plates of pie until only one was left. I stuffed a forkful into my mouth for something to do. The silence was killing me.

It didn't take long before I heard poorly suppressed moans. I didn't look up from my plate, but I grinned despite myself. My pie was damn good, and they couldn't deny it no matter how snooty they were.

“Bella.”

I looked up at the gentle voice, surprised that Mrs. Cullen was addressing me directly. “Yes?” I had to clamp my lips closed to cut off the ‘ma’am’ that almost followed.

“That was exquisite.”

I grinned. I know. “Thank you.”

“Bella’s pies sell faster than anything else she makes,” Edward boasted. “Her spiced apple/pear is the top seller.”

I warmed at his praise and gazed at him lovingly until a throat cleared behind me. The warmth turned to the fires of Hell as embarrassment swamped me.

“I agree with Esme. The pie is delightful.”

It was probably the most I could expect from him, so I turned to face Mr. Cullen. “I appreciate it. I have more, if you’d like to take some with you.”

“Ah, perhaps tomorrow we could have more. I don’t believe there’s any room to store pie at the B and B,” Esme answered.

There was an uncomfortable few minutes while they stood, leaving their plates and mugs on the occasional tables and moving toward the front door. The late afternoon sun was already on its descent as they moved out onto the porch, me and Edward behind them. It was colder than it had been when we were out earlier, and when we cleared the roof of the porch I spotted the heavy clouds that would spell snow very soon.

“Be careful while you’re out tonight. It’s going to snow within the hour.”

“We will, Bella. Thank you for your hospitality.” Esme patted my arm and turned to Edward. “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye, Mom.” He kissed her cheek and then moved to his dad, shaking his hand and telling him goodbye before Carlisle followed Esme to their car.

We dashed back into the warmth of the house. I kept walking, past the living room and the dirty dishes and into the kitchen, only stopping at the back door before spinning to face a silent Edward, who had trailed along behind me.

“Your dad wasn't very friendly.”

“No.”

“Jury’s still out on your mom.”

“I agree.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Do you really agree, or are you trying to keep the peace?”

He shrugged, his eyes meeting my gaze directly. “Maybe a little of both. Mom could have been nicer, but it wasn't a disaster. My dad tends to be aloof, so it wasn't a surprise he barely spoke to you.”

I nodded. “Well, we have all day tomorrow with them. What the hell are we going to do?”

“I told you, they want a tour of the ranch.”

I snorted. “Does Mrs. Cullen realize there’s dirt on this ranch? That fur coat isn't going to look as nice covered in pig slop. And Mr. Cullen had on very shiny shoes,” I continued, even as Edward put his arms around my waist and clasped his hands at the small of my back.

“I warned them to bring suitable clothing. If they ignored me, it’ll be their problem.”

“I guess.” I sighed, leaning forward to rest my face on Edward’s shirt. He smelled of pine-scented soap and coffee. I tilted my head up to look at his face. “Only for you would I go through this much stress at this point in my life.”

“I know, and I appreciate you accepting them when they’re a bit stubborn on accepting you.” He kissed my forehead.

“I love that you’re not afraid to show them you’re proud of me. You have no idea how much that means to me.”

“I am proud of you, and they should know it. Tomorrow we’ll show them what we have to be proud of, and I'll tell them we’re engaged.” He stepped back a little to pull out the chain I wore under my shirt and against my heart. “This will take its proper place on your finger.”

It was a silver band, intricately carved with intertwining leaves and a central heart. Having any gems out in the sometimes harsh conditions of my ranch was a bad idea, so we kept it sensible but still pretty. It would also serve as my wedding band, when we got around to saying I do. Edward’s band was a slightly larger version of mine, still sitting at the store on layaway. There had been no words of poetry, just the simple request at my kitchen table before going to Buffalo to find a jeweler. He showed me how he felt when words failed him, though he was technically kneeling when he proposed.

“I can't wait to marry you, Edward.”

He kissed the tip of my nose. “Soon enough we’ll have the money for something small.”

“Maybe we should run to the courthouse and find a judge.”

He laughed at me. “My parents are here, they can witness.”

I shook my head. “I’ll wait for Spring.”

Edward had a way of enveloping me when he kissed me. He leaned over, curled around me, held me tightly in his arms and kissed me with his whole body. He left me gasping for air and wanting more.

“And then you’ll be mine, Bella.”

“I’m already yours.” I pushed up on my toes to invite him to kiss me again, and he willingly obliged.




2 comments: