Monday, April 25, 2022

Malicious Compliance Chapter Nineteen

Garrett was gathering his things together when Bella came home from Luscious Bites. Behind him, she spotted Edward sitting on the foot of the bed.

“Everything okay?” she murmured to Garrett.


He nodded, shooting a glance over his shoulder. “Tough PT session today.”

She must have just missed the therapist, then. “Thanks for your help.”


“Absolutely. Bye, Edward,” Garrett called as he left.


There was no response from the man on the bed. Concerned, Bella moved further into the room, depositing her bag on the coffee table. Beads of sweat gathered on Edward’s forehead, his skin pale and his chest moving rapidly.


“Edward?”


He looked up at her, and she felt the pain visible in his expression. “Hey.”


“Can I get you some water?”


As though in a daze, he turned his head to stare out the window. “Garrett already did.”


“Okay.”


Gripping her hands together, she lowered herself to the mattress beside him. Without speaking, he leaned into her side.


“You’re worrying me.”


The softly spoken words must have snapped him out of whatever was going on. “Sorry, I just pushed myself too hard.”


“Sweetie, you’re nearly there. Don't fuck it up so close to the finish line.”


Again, he didn't respond. His breathing was mostly normal, but he brought his sleeve up to wipe at his forehead. 


Since he didn't seem to want to talk about it, Bella lay back and hoped he’d join her. Lately, he had been working himself to death in physical therapy. Garrett had warned against it, but the therapist hadn’t mentioned any issues. At least, not to Bella.


“I promise, I’m not overdoing it. Irina wouldn't let me do that.”


Bella wasn't sure she believed him. “And yet, when I come home, you’re always exhausted. You can’t even stand properly for most of the rest of the day because your muscles are too sore.”


Finally, he dropped down beside her. “I want my life back.”


Well, that hurt. “What do you want back that you don’t currently have? And at the risk of making things worse?”


She felt him shrug. “I miss being independent. Going to work and sitting on my ass for a few hours isn't what they hired me to do.”


She couldn't keep the bitterness from her voice. “You could be grateful for what you have instead of wishing you had more.”


Irritated, she rose and stormed into the kitchen. Stupid male pride, or something more? Doubts pushed at the edges of her mind, and she was tired of fighting them off all the time.


“I am grateful, Bella. Not a day goes by that I’m not thankful for you and Garrett.”


“But you’d rather we weren't here helping you.” Not bothering to be quiet, she banged pots and pans as she pulled them from the lower cupboards. After washing her hands and throwing the towel across the counter, she yanked open the refrigerator. “I don't want your appreciation, I want you to listen to your body and rest.”


“Rest is all I do anymore!” Struggling to stand, Edward had to use his hands to maneuver his casted leg off the bed. “I want to go back to riding my motorcycle, to making love to you, to working a job I enjoy!”


Such a big part of her wanted to tell him he was never getting on a motorcycle after this. Unfortunately, she would never tell him how to live his life, so she’d have to learn to accept the fear of him getting hurt again. “So you have cabin fever.”


“No shit.”


Oh yeah, she had to bite her tongue to keep from lashing out. He was in pain because a couple of twats decided to take revenge on her through him, and all she wanted was to make life easier on him.


She also wanted to bash his head into the fridge door.


“Edward, I’m doing my best here.”


Emerging with her hands full, she dropped everything on the counter and stared at him. He’d made it 3/4 of the way across the loft, a scowl on his face and his hands in his hair. Recently, he’d graduated to a walking cast, but he hated it nearly as much as the old one. It was bigger, clunkier, but kept him from needing the crutches. When they’d made the switch, he’d had to leave his leg bare for a little while to let the skin breathe. More than a few gnarly scars ran the length of his calf, the skin red and tender. Bella had cried over it, hiding her tears so he wouldn't think she hated the sight of him.


“God dammit, I know that. It’s not you I’m mad at, it’s me.”


That made little sense to her. “What the fuck for?”


“I should be more healed than this. I should be back to almost normal. But, no, I’m stuck here, hardly capable of wiping my own ass.”


Taking a deep breath, Bella let it out slowly. “You haven't mentioned struggling with that before, so I can only assume you’re exaggerating.”


He opened his mouth, but she cut him off.


“If this is the way we’re going to continue this evening, I need to open a bottle of whiskey.” Before waiting for him to respond, she moved to the liquor shelf and poured a half glass. Swallowing it in one go, she winced at the burn and resumed her preparations for dinner.


“Bella.”


Since he said her name so softly, she raised her head and met his gaze. He’d reached the island and leaned against it, watching her.


“I miss you.”


What the fuck was that supposed to mean? She was there all the time, so much so that she thought he was probably sick of her.


“Things were so close to perfect for us, and then this happened . . . I don't want to miss out on what we could have just because I’m crippled.”


“Stop feeling sorry for yourself.” Though she’d intended to snap the words, they came out gently. “You still have everything, and you’re not permanently crippled.”


Edward sighed, dropping down on a bar stool. “Some days, all I can think is that she could have killed me. You could have lost me, and I can’t bear to picture it.”


“Neither can I, which is why I don’t.” Setting down her knife, she rounded the island. “At all costs.”


He held his arms open, and she stood between his legs to settle against his chest. “It’s hard to slow down when I’m in a hurry.”


“There’s no need to hurry. I’m not going anywhere, and neither is anyone else.”


“You're right. I was just in such a bad mood when Irina was here, and then Garrett had to help me into the bathroom, and I got pissed.”


It had been weeks since he couldn't use the bathroom alone. “Then you really worked too hard.”


“Yeah.” Sighing, he ran his hands over her back and into her hair. 


“I love you, baby.” Framing his face, she kissed him gently. “Nothing would be the same without you in my life.”


“It’s scary to be so dependent on someone else for my happiness.”


“Fair point, I suppose. But isn't that what a good relationship is meant to be about?”


Instead of answering, he nuzzled behind her ear. A shiver ran along her spine, and she squirmed against him.


“I love when you do that.”


“Squirm when you tickle me?” she asked.


He chuckled and kissed her neck. “When I can make you writhe.”


“Well, Jesus, you’re so very good at it.”


Long fingers dug into her scalp, massaging the knots along her nape. Leaning into it, into him, Bella braced her hands on his thighs. The muscles flexed, and he pulled back to look into her eyes.


“Did you turn on the stove?”


Biting her lip, she shook her head.


“Wouldn't want to burn down the house while we’re burning up the sheets,” he muttered.


No, indeed. Knowing how much he wished he could pick her up, Bella took his hand and waited patiently while he got up and followed her to their bed. It wasn't that they’d abstained from sex, but things had been very different lately. He used to throw her around, dominate her and tease her, and lately he’d only been capable of lying there and letting her ride him. 


He sat back on the end of the bed, and she stood in front of him to strip. Shimmying her pants down her legs, she took her time showing him her behind, turning and bending over to step out of her panties. His hands covered her ass, warm and rough. Bella worked her shirt over her head, and he pulled her close to kiss along her spine. He unfastened her bra, and she let it fall from her shoulders. 


“Just as stunning as always.”


Heat raced through her, lighting up every inch of her skin. Reaching around, Edward splayed his fingers over her abdomen, lowering them slowly until he could find her clit. She gasped, rolling her hips and trying to find something to hold on to. With nothing else within reach, she pinched her nipples, feeling the coil tighten the more he stroked her. Wetness had built, gathering around his fingers, and she cried out when he bit the side of her neck. 


“God, yes!”


A few seconds later, she was coming all over his fingers. Edward held her close for a moment, kissing along her throat before turning her to face him. 


She looked down at him, hoping he could see the love she felt. Helping him remove his shirt, she bit her lip and watched the ink on his abs jump as she tugged on the drawstring of his shorts. Naked and eager, they scooted up the bed together. Tangling his hands in her hair, Edward brought his mouth to hers and kissed her, sweeping his tongue in her mouth and grabbing her ass. 


She moaned when he lifted her leg and slid inside her, still kissing her for all he was worth. They moved together, Bella being careful not to put too much pressure on his injured leg, and he grunted when she bit his lip. 


“I love you,” she gasped.


“I love you too.”


It wasn't the same as rolling around on the bed, tangling in the sheets, or falling off the couch. It was a temporary new normal, and one she wouldn't trade. They became one, physically and emotionally, melding into a unit. Edward moved faster, chasing his orgasm, and Bella encouraged him. 


Maybe all he needed after a tough day was to get laid.


Her name fell from his lips, and he buried his head in her hair. “Much better.”


“Sex first and then food, and you’ll be right as rain.”


“Why is rain right?” he asked.


Rolling her eyes, she chuckled at him. “Fuck if I know, baby.”


It took a few seconds to maneuver him off the bed, but she released him as soon as he was standing so he could feel more in control. He made it to the bathroom and back out without her assistance, and she followed suit to clean up. Opting to throw on leggings and one of his shirts, she headed back to the kitchen to finish making dinner.


Edward hobbled toward her, his shorts back on, but his shirt in his hands. “What do you say to getting together with Emmett and Rose?”


“When?” She’d busied herself with oiling the saute pan and turning on the heat, so when she looked back at him, she had to catch her breath. “Sometimes, I forget just how fucking hot you are.”


Glancing down at himself and back up, Edward grinned in response. “They said any time we’re available is good for them.”


“Saturday after the shop closes?”


“I’ll let them know. They wanted to have dinner and maybe do something after that. I know you didn't get to spend much time with them, and under poor circumstances at that, but they liked you.”


“If you’re feeling up to it, yeah. It would be nice to dress up a little and get out of the house for some fun.”


He sat on the nearest stool. “I shouldn't have cabin fever when I do get the chance to leave, but I still feel it. I need to get out for a few hours, too.”


“Then it’s set.” She threw onions in the pan and let them sizzle.


“You’re too good for me.”


His words made her heart beat a bit faster. “No, baby, we’re exactly right for each other. You taught me that.”










1 comment:

  1. Great pic of Garrett and the rest are pretty good too.
    Loved the chapter. Hope Edward gets to feeling more himself soon.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete