Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter Twenty-five

Ward

Beth was due to arrive in town any minute, and I was freaking out. It had been entirely too long since I’d seen her, especially given the way I left home. She would never judge me for my choices, which was why Bella reminded me of her in so many ways. But, I would still worry about how she saw me, my new town, and my relationship. Would she think I could do better than menial work? Would she think Port Townsend was too dated, too quaint? 

Most of all, would she approve of Bella?


I loved her with everything I had in me, and though Beth’s opinion wouldn't change that, I was afraid to have Beth’s judgment hanging over my head. If she didn't like my girlfriend for some reason, it would make things awkward between me and my sister. Of course, I had given little thought to Mike and his opinions, but they were there, too. Worrying about him would have to take a backseat to the rest. I simply didn't have the energy.


A few days had passed since Vicky had taken the video of the strange man into her possession. She and Eric were working hard on identifying him, along with other law enforcement in the area. Everyone seemed to think he looked familiar enough to figure out who he was, but nothing had come of it so far.


My apartment was probably cleaner than it had been even before I moved in. My girlfriend’s apartment, also soon to be mine, was equally spotless, since I wanted to spend more time there than at my place. Mike and Beth were staying at the Palace Hotel on the waterfront, with its solid brick facade and red and white striped awning. For the most part, the interior looked straight out of Grandma’s house, but the room they chose was on the top floor and gave off a more industrial vibe. Iron railings, brick walls, and more modern furnishings made it more appealing, especially with the view of the inlet. Staying there meant they would be close to me, and certainly within walking distance of the city center.


Just the idea of being an uncle soon made me feel all kinds of excited and anxious rolled up into one. I wanted children myself someday, but I had never thought it was possible before Bella. Now, the idea that my sister was about to be a mom kind of threw me off balance. She’d make a perfect mother, that was a given, but it solidified her as an actual adult in my mind. Meanwhile, I was still bumbling around, trying to figure out who I wanted to be when I grew up.


I guess it was typical for someone on the outside of prison to still be working out their goals. My life had been put on hold for years, and now I finally had the chance to live it.


Which scared the absolute fuck out of me.


No more running or dodging people’s glances and every scrutiny of strangers. It was almost surreal to finally have the ability to live out in the open.


I knew I wanted to propose to Bella, but I had to get a few paychecks from the vet tech job first. I had to be a respectable man who could afford his bills before I could take on a wife. Bella would tell me it wasn’t necessary, but it was. Deep down, it really was. One way or another, I’d even figure out how to get her the house she grew up in, though that was a long-term, distant dream.


“Stop that.” Bella said it mildly, but I had to be driving her crazy. I’d been pacing up and down the aisles of her store for the past half-hour.


“I'm trying.” Rubbing my hands together briskly, I reminded myself that Beth was the last person on earth I should be nervous about.


It didn't work, just like the last nine hundred times I’d said it.


“Baby, seriously.” Crossing over behind the armchair, Bella picked up a cookie and shoved it in my face. “Eat this.”


Cinnamon and sugar might be her answer to everything, but I doubted it would help calm my nerves. Still, I ate it, if only to appease her.


“You’ve told me enough about Beth that I know you shouldn't be worried.”


“But she hasn't seen me since I’ve changed. It’s so much information to throw at her at one time; us, a new job, a new town.”


“She’ll be happy for you, end of story.”


“Why are you always the calm one?”


Wrapping her arms around my waist, Bella tipped her head up to smile at me. “Someone has to counteract your neuroses.”


“Thanks.” I snorted. “But you’re right, so I’m grateful.”


“Do you have any idea how nervous I am? It’s your only family coming here to judge me and mine.”


“She’s not going to judge you. Not at all.”


“Exactly.” Tapping my nose, she kissed me quickly. “Now believe what you said.”


“Maybe I should meet them at the hotel instead of making them find their way here.” When I tried to back up, Bella held tight. “What?”


“No, you should stick to the plan.”


I groaned. “She just needs to get here so I can dissolve this nervous energy.”


“If we had the time, I’d dissolve it for you.” With a wink, she let me go and moved back to check the coffee cups and cookies. She might not admit it, but she was anxious too. All morning, she’d rearranged the plates, the cups, the cream and sugar.


“I love you.”


Stopping mid-reach, Bella grinned at me. “I love you, too.”


“And that’s how I know my baby brother is taken care of properly.”


Gasping, I spun at the sound of Beth’s voice. Finding her standing in the doorway pushing her sunglasses up onto her head, I closed the small distance between us faster than she could blink.


“Bethy.” I lost myself for a second, crushing her against me in my eagerness. The bump between us protested, practically shoving me back a step.


“It’s like a rubber ball; it only presses in so far before bouncing back.”


I chuckled, so pleased to have her within my grasp. “Damn, you look good.”


“Can’t deny you look decent yourself.” Standing back, she surveyed me from head to toe. “No longer scrawny, no haunted look in the eyes.” Her gaze traveled over my shoulder. “All because of this one, no doubt.”


“I’m Bella.” She stuck out her hand as she approached, and I watched them closely. Beth accepted the handshake but pulled Bella in for a hug.


“Nice to put a face to a name.” 


Mike stepped around his wife. “Tony, good to see you.”


My face twisted in a grimace. “Oh, um—”


“Right, sorry. Ward.” He frowned. “I’ve been practicing, too.”


“No worries.” Nobody but Bella would understand if he called me that accidentally, but I’m sure they’d be confused. 


Beth said, “Ward, the hotel is lovely. Sure, your town is a bit antiquated”—she darted an apologetic look at Bella—“but it’s beautiful. The water is such a draw, I was tempted to stick my feet in the sand rather than come here.”


“We can do that soon.” Clearing my throat, I pushed my hand through my hair. “Do you want a tour of the shop?”


Bella swept her hand out in a grand gesture. “Pretty much what you see is what you get. That’s true for everything and everyone here.”


“It’s really great,” Beth murmured, scanning the walls of shelving. 


“And there’s coffee and cookies, if you’ve a mind for it.”


“You have to try both,” I urged.


Once the awkwardness died down and everyone had tasted the refreshments—Beth swore she’d steal the secret to the coffee before she left—I felt more relaxed. The women seemed to like each other, thankfully, and Mike was pretty amiable all around. My worlds had collided with no crazy incidents.


“You’re a hell of a lot closer to Canada than I realized,” Mike commented.


Once, I’d even considered crossing the border, but that would have required me to give out my name, and that was unacceptable.


“Yeah, we used to take the ferry up for day trips when I was in high school.”


I glanced at Bella. “We?”


“Those my age.”


I appreciated the way she didn’t rub Jake in my face, but it must have been him. He was her high school sweetheart, after all. Funny thing about it, though, was that I wasn’t jealous. We both had pasts, and there was simply no comparison on who was the sinner and who was the saint.


“Is there anything interesting to see?” Beth asked with genuine curiosity. “Is it worth going before we leave?”


She and Bella got lost in conversation about tourist traps, so I wandered to the front doors. Taking a deep breath of briny air, I realized a few things.


I was happy. Beyond happy; I was content.


My family had met and got along. That meant the world to me, because I had chosen who to let into my life and who stayed there.


The mystery guy didn't matter. I’d learned not to run anymore, but to face whatever came my way. With Bella by my side, I didn't need to run. She was the shore when I was lost at sea. A lifeline, something solid to cling to. With her in my arms, I would never drown.


Lastly, this town was where I was meant to be. Here, I felt whole again. Able to breathe fully, to take a deep lungful of air and know I’m free. My past no longer defined me, and that was mostly Bella’s doing. But it was also the gentle acceptance of the townies who never once turned their backs on me, even if I might have deserved it. Each and every one of them judged me by my actions now, not by what I might have done before.


Hell, even the woman I’d helped in the park . . .


“Bella?”


Interrupting their discussion, I turned from the doorway to find her paused in the act of sipping coffee.


“What is it?”


“I know who the guy is.”


They all frowned at me, but I saw it clearly.


“How?” Beth asked. I’d told her about the guy, mostly so they’d keep an eye out for anyone lurking while they were here.


“Do you remember when I first moved here, and I helped that woman Briana in the park?”


I could tell the moment it dawned on Bella who I meant. “He looks similar, but Larry is in jail awaiting his trial.”


“He looks so much like him, that’s why Vicky and Eric said he’s familiar but they can’t place him.” Because he was somehow related to Larry. That had to be it.


“Do you think Larry has a brother?” Bella asked.


“I’ll call Vicky.”


Somehow, in the time I’d spent at the station and speaking with them afterward, I no longer felt intimidated by Officer White. Her nickname was Vicky, and there was no reason I couldn't refer to her that way. Somehow, even that part of me had relaxed.


“Hey, it’s Ward Cullen,” I said when she answered her office phone. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Beth make a weird face at the sound of my new name. “I know who the guy is, at least in theory.”


“You do?” she asked.


“He has to be related to Larry. That’s why he looks so familiar.”


“Oh, crap.” She was silent for a minute, and I heard her typing. “You’re right, Ward. Larry has a younger brother.”


I knew it. It was suddenly there in my head, like an epiphany. “Same build, similar coloring?”


“Only a year-and-a-half younger.”


“That’s gotta be him.”


“Hold on. Hmm, looks like the younger Mr. Barber also has a record. That’ll make things easier.”


Feeling lighter than I had in weeks, I beamed at Bella. Vicky said she’d get back to me, so we hung up. “I was right. Larry has a brother.”


“He must think he can intimidate you into not testifying against Larry.” Throwing her arms around my neck, Bella kissed my cheek. “I’m so relieved to have it resolved.”


“Well, not entirely, but enough to stop worrying over him.”


“They’ll find him soon, and then he won’t be able to hang around and act stupid anymore. Apparently, he also has a record. Vicky said she’ll handle it.”


Beth said, “It’s illegal to threaten witnesses.”


“Imagine trying to get your wife-beating brother out of jail by harassing the person who saved the woman he was beating.” Mike shook his head. “That’s a loser family right there.”


“Agreed.” 


“You’ve made my life perfect in every way, Bella,” I whispered into her hair. “I’m such a lucky man.”


“Before you get too sappy, can we get something to eat? These cookies are amazing, but they’re not enough to satiate a pregnant lady.”


Chuckling, I said, “We just have to walk next door for that. Jasper and Alice run the bakery cafe, and they make amazing food.”


“I need to confess; I have a friends-with-benefits relationship with Jasper.” With a wink, Bella said, “The benefit is free coffee and baked goods.”


Beth nodded seriously. “That sounds fair. Can we see your place after lunch?”


“Sure, we can go upstairs afterward for the grand tour. Though I must warn you,” Bella said, closing and locking the shop door behind her, “it’s much the same tour as you got here.”


Warmth flooded through me with her words. My place was wherever Bella was, and she agreed. “Wait until you see how much Heidi loves it here, and how well she and Bella’s cat get along. I bet she remembers you.”


“And then you can meet my parents and our friends.” Linking her arm through mine, Bella walked beside me on the sunny sidewalk. “I have a hunch we’ll all be spending plenty of time together in the future.”


Here was the place where roses climbed the side of brick buildings, the scent of them mixing with the scent of baked goods soothing my soul. I belonged here, and no one could ever convince me otherwise. 


I couldn't regret my past when it had brought me to the woman I was meant to live out the rest of my years with. Even the times I thought it was my destiny to spend life alone, the nights when there was nothing but darkness and rain, it all washed away when I saw her beautiful smile framed in the sunlight streaming through her shop doors. She’d created a spark in me that made me want to try again, to dig myself out of an early grave and fight for myself.


I had to stop Bella for a second, just to hold her close and murmur in her ear. “You gave me my life back, and I’ll forever be grateful.”








Beth

Mike


1 comment: