Friday, November 3, 2017

Right Where I Want to Be Chapter 41

It’s opening day, and my stomach is in knots. I know it’ll be fine, but having the attention all on me is what makes me nervous. It feels like a heavy dose of irony, since I normally crave the feeling of all eyes on me. This is different. This is my make or break moment. Hopefully Rose will hog the spotlight and I won’t feel the need to throw up.

Edward has stayed at my place since I quit the other night. We haven’t done anything further than kiss and hold each other. We’ve talked; talking has never been our strong suit, but we have tried to learn everything about each other in these past few days. I’ve built a stronger, more solid place in my heart for him, and realized that the love I felt for him in the beginning was partly real. We have a connection that I can’t explain, and it feels even more powerful now.

I’ve got on a pair of tiny black running shorts and a halter top, with a sweatshirt thrown over top of it for now. Edward meets me by the front door in basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I’ve never seen him leave the house so casually dressed; I have to admit, especially when he throws on a black ballcap, that he looks amazing. I drive us to the new studio, and as I let us in I realize he’s never been here. Feeling shy now, I show him the reception desk, the changing rooms, the bathroom, and finally the main studio.

“It’s inspiring what you’ve done, Bella.” Edward pulls me close and hugs me, and I feel his lips on the top of my head.

“Rose and Emmett helped in here, but it’s mine, you know? It became my baby, and I’m proud of it.”

“I’m proud of you,” he says into my ear before kissing the shell.

Rose and Emmett show up a few minutes later, and even though they technically met at the club, I feel like introductions are a good idea for the men. Edward looks relaxed, which is not something I've noticed about him very often. Rose has mostly covered the bruising on her face with makeup, though I can see some swelling. I hear Emmett telling Edward that Jake tripped and landed on his face a few times when he was brought into the station. That asshole stands to lose everything after he answers to the assault charges filed by Rose.

She and I take a minute to talk about the sound system and the demonstration we're going to perform when we have a crowd.

Please, let us have a crowd.

I move to the front doors and open them both wide, using the potted plants I added as doorstops. I don't see anybody at first, and Rose and I stand there nervously staring at the parking lot. Finally, a car pulls up and a woman steps out. She’s wearing yoga pants and a tank top, so I have hopes that she’s coming our way. Her dark hair is pulled up in a ponytail. I grab Rose’s arm and shake it a little in my excitement.

I feel Edward come up and stand at my side. “Let me introduce you to my sister, Alice.”



2 comments:

  1. Even if her first customer is a relative, it has got to feel good that someone is there.

    ReplyDelete