Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Ex Delicto Chapter 30

I've been told this chapter needs a tissue warning.

I was strong. I was smart. I was capable. And now I was freaking out over covering my scars for the much anticipated IPNW fundraising gala. I didn't want to be vain, but I didn't want to be self-conscious all night, either. I'd picked a silver lace and satin gown to give me confidence and strength, and Alice had done my eye makeup for me. With red lipstick in place, I examined the finished product, hoping that I looked gorgeous.

"All I see is a hideous reflection of a Frankenstein type creature. You can dress me up, but I'm still a monster."

"Don't cry, Bella, you'll fuck up your eye makeup!" Alice pleaded.

I stared at Alice in the mirror as Rose spoke up. "I think what Alice meant to say, is that you're a survivor. That's what we see, and you know Edward doesn't notice any of that."

Since we'd christened my entire apartment recently, including the kitchen counter, I could attest to the truth of what she said. "Still, I hate feeling this way. I shouldn't care what anybody thinks, but I do."

"Here, you haven't let me try," Rose said in her quiet voice. She grabbed pots and bottles and powders, tilting my head in all directions as she worked on me.

"Have you spoken to a plastic surgeon, sweetie?" Alice asked more timidly than she normally spoke.

I sighed and tried not to fidget. "Yes, I just had a consultation. Something about healing times and tissue depth. I don't fucking know why, I just know he said it's too soon and to come back in six months. Meanwhile, I don't like leaving the house unless I'm just going to the IPNW offices or Mom and Dad's house." I scowled at my reflection, and Rose huffed.

"I'm almost done, if you'd be still another minute."

"Yes, ma'am."

I saw her mouth lift at the corners as she tried not to smile. "That's better."

Truly, she was a magician in disguise. She'd managed to cover the worst of them, and all I saw was flawless makeup and a few lines here and there where the scars were particularly thick. I tried hard not to tear up, but I had to brush my fingers under my eyes to catch a few drops.

"Thank you so much, Rose," I said quietly and sincerely. She smiled and nodded at me in the mirror.

"Thank God I used waterproof mascara," Alice piped up. "You look amazing, now let's get you out there to Edward and your brothers."

I took note of their dresses as we went out; Alice was in siren red, long hair curled into a half updo. Rose was wearing a beautiful bright teal lace dress, long and fluttering as she walked. She'd pulled her hair up, with Alice's help. When I spotted Emmett, he was standing off to the side of my living room, not looking very comfortable. He visibly relaxed when he spotted his wife, and then I saw Jasper pull Alice into an embrace that spoke volumes about how much he enjoyed her look. Edward wasn't in the room, and I felt a little shaky without him. I was trying to make a grand entrance, and it failed.

Then, he came around the corner from the kitchen, and it was he that made an entrance. His tuxedo fit him like a dream, his hair a little shorter since he'd finally needed a trim. He beamed at me as he came toward me, a box in his hand.

"Oh, Bella, you look amazing." He carefully kissed my cheek, holding one of my hands in his own. "Here, this is for you," he said as he offered the box to me.

I opened the flat black square and gasped a little at the bracelet resting on red velvet. It was braided silver, with a heart-shaped clasp and a round charm depicting the scales of justice, surrounded by diamonds. It was perfect for me, and I loved it. "Edward! It's beautiful."

He beamed at me, and I smiled in return. My eyes watered, and I sniffled.

"No crying!" Alice hollered.

~E~D~

The gala was everything I wanted it to be. The tables were covered in white linens, candles, and scattered with short vases filled with white flowers. With it being black tie, all the men were cleaned up and showing off their tuxedos. Women were in ball gowns and fancy dresses, dripping in jewels. I'd never felt the need for much jewelry, but I was pleased to have my new bracelet.

Edward was the keynote speaker, of course, but he hadn't let me see his speech. I was anxious to hear it, because I knew he was nervous and I wanted to put his mind at ease.

We mingled for a little while, greeting people we'd met through the Innocence Project, until I spotted my parents. My mother had almost moved in with me after the hospital, but I'd convinced her it would be crowded with Edward there. She saw me before Dad did and nearly dragged him across the floor.

"Bella! You look amazing! That dress compliments your hair." I patted her on the back as she hugged me, and she held onto my shoulders as she stepped back. "You look radiant. Happiness suits you."

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, blushing hard.

"Renée is right," Edward chimed in. "You look happy."

I accepted his peck to my lips, then we found our seats in time for the dinner. We took up an entire table, the Swan family and Edward and Esme. Carlisle had declined his son's invitation, which didn't surprise me. I had a really good time, chatting with my brothers and Alice and Rose. We'd found a rhythm, all of us. Esme and Renée were close friends now, and Esme had a standing place at the family table. It was a good life we were building.

Edward kissed me on the cheek, whispering that it was time for his speech. Esme handed me a travel pack of tissues.

"You've seen his index cards!" I accused.

"I helped him write it," she admitted with a grin.

I had to turn my attention to the stage area as Edward cleared his throat.

"Twelve years ago, I was in college. I was a typical nerd who only studied. I wasn't in school to party, or make friends. I was there to learn. Midway through my sophomore year, I was convinced, against my better judgement, to go to a frat party. Little did I know, it would turn out to be the worst decision of my life.

"What started out as having a drink and dancing with a pretty girl, ended up a nightmare for both of us. You see, sometime during the night she was raped, and I was accused of it." He paused to take a sip from the bottle of water on the podium. I had to dab a tissue at the corner of my eye.

"Because that was the last thing either of us remembered, that we had danced together. I was woken the next morning by the police questioning me about what happened the night before. The next thing I knew, I was being charged with rape and taken to jail.

"My parents hired the best attorney in the city, and I went to trial. I was convicted and sentenced to twenty years in prison, and although I appealed my sentence many times, none of those appeals resulted in my sentence being overturned, or my freedom.

"About a year ago, ten years into my prison sentence for a crime I wasn't sure if I had committed, it was announced that I had a visitor. Now, my father had never visited me in prison, and my mother only came once a month since the drive was so long, so I had no idea who it could be.

"When I got to the visitors' room I was shocked when I saw what appeared to be a child sitting there, saying she was with the Innocence Project Northwest and she was going to take my case." Edward smiled briefly in my direction.

"To say I was bitter would be an understatement. To say I looked at this girl as anything but an incompetent dreamer would be a lie.

"But she slowly convinced me that she and the IPNW could make a difference for me. She taught me how to hope again, something I'd lost after ten years in that place.

"Then we got a horrible new warden at OCC and all my hope violently and ruthlessly died all over again.

"But my lawyer, the incomparable Isabella Swan, prevailed, and I was released when the real rapist was found by her and the other volunteers who helped her."

I had to catch my tears with another tissue as I watched Edward wiping a few tears of his own. There wasn't a dry eye in the room, and as I looked around, I caught sight of Liam and Leah sitting together at another table.

"She taught me how to live again. She gave me a voice, and I choose to use it for those who don't have that opportunity. She gave me purpose in my new life as a free man, and beautiful words to say as well.

"I only stand before you today, exonerated, because of the tireless efforts of the employees and volunteers of the Innocence Project Northwest. So it is my great honor and privilege to donate two million dollars of my restitution from the state to the wonderful group of staff and volunteers here at the Innocence Project."

There was loud, resounding applause as he finished his speech, but I was confused. That was less than the amount we'd discussed.

Edward held up a hand as two large cardboard checks were carried out. "I also want to announce that another two million is being donated to the victims of sexual assault through the RAINN group, in the name of the Swan family." There's more clapping of course, and I stand, thrilled that he is the strong man he is today due to the help of this organization, and that he was able to help them in return, so tremendously and selflessly.

"If I can just have one more moment of your time," Edward said to the crowd, leaning over to the microphone. Curious, I looked at Esme, but she seemed surprised as well. "It's an extraordinary thing to meet someone who you can bare your soul to, and who will accept you for who you are. I've been waiting what seems like a very long time to get beyond what I thought I was. I've struggled with who I'm not, who I could have been, and who I am. It took a strong woman to help me, to not give up on me, even when I gave up on myself. She helped me overcome all of my doubts and insecurities. Isabella Swan," he gestured to me, and I made my way to where he was, baffled. I stood next to him, looking up into the proud expression on his face.

My heart fluttered in my throat as he knelt in front of me. He held up a ring, and my vision blurred as I lost focus.

"Bella, I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life not only being the man I am now, but growing into a better person by your side. What do you say? Marry me?"

If I thought the applause was deafening before, it was nothing compared to the hooting and hollering and clapping I heard behind me now. I pulled Edward to his feet, nodding and crying. "Yes! Of course I'll marry you, you amazing man!"

He engulfed me in his hug, holding me tightly to his chest and whispering I love you over and over in my ear. When he kissed me, the world dropped away, and it was only us.

I want you all to know, I had no idea Edward was going to propose until the words were being written. And credit goes to Melissa Rosenberg for the portion of her words I utilized.





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful chapter, just beautiful. *sniffs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lara!
    What a beautiful chapter. So perfect. I loved the speech. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sara! BeLynda helped me out with the speech. ;)

    ReplyDelete