Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter One


Edward


A heavy fog rolled through the sleeping town as I said goodbye to my dog and set off down the street on foot. The salty tang of ocean water hanging in the air reminded me of home, but it wasn't quite the same. As a matter of fact, it was on the opposite coast; I'd moved all the way to the other side of the country. It wasn't in my plans, but nothing had been for a majority of the last decade. Nothing had ever come easy for me, no matter how old I got or what I accomplished. Hard work didn't always pay off, honesty wasn't always the best policy, and the truth hadn't set me free; it had fucked me over.

Slinging fish was not the best use of my skills, but it put food on the table for me and my black lab. At least, once I received a paycheck, it would. The job was smelly, it was backbreaking, and it began while everyone else remained safely cuddled in their warm beds. Tucking my exhausted body further into my anorak, I fisted my hands in my pockets as the knuckles protested. My skin was cracked in too many places to count, but the cold kept seeping into my bones. I wasn't yet accustomed to the environment in which I found myself. 


Shadows encroached from all sides, and I whistled tunelessly to stave off the darkness. Dangerous streets were my comfort zone, but only if I knew the ins and outs. Here, I was the interloper. Here, the alleys could chew me up and spit me out. Dawn wouldn't break for several more hours, after my feet already ached and my back wept. Salt would stick to my eyebrows, the brim of my cap, and the soles of my boots. Sweat would mingle with the mist until I felt as though I’d had a shower or gotten caught in a rainstorm. They happened fairly often here, though not as severe as those back home.


There were few bright spots in my life. My dog, Heidi, was the best girl I’d ever known. Loyalty was easy to come by in pets versus people, and she was perpetually happy to see me. Sometimes I felt guilty about keeping her locked up while I worked, but I had no other option. She had the run of the place, but it was small enough it barely warranted the title apartment.


It was more spacious than what I’d come from, so I couldn't complain.


All the shops and houses shared square footage here, huddled together along the coast. I’d not had much chance to visit the small businesses, but my first paycheck was due tomorrow. Then, I’d have enough money in my pocket to try out the cafe or the pizza place. My stomach growled just thinking about it, but I shoved that off to the side. Hunger was a state of mind, one I’d learned long ago to force down with brutal ruthlessness.


On this day, the same as every other day, I passed the bakery cafe, the bookstore, and the little convenience store. Nothing but fog hung around at this time of night, but the cloying scent of roses drew my attention. As was my new habit, I peered into the glass panes of the bookstore's front windows. A red neon EXIT sign illuminated the back door and the shelves in that area. It was tidy, but also not. Homey without being unprofessional. A sagging armchair, stacks of large volumes, and the buttery yellow paint called to me. There was no rhyme or reason to it, but I backed up as my breath fogged the window. I was due at work in mere minutes.


Only one other person loitered by the entrance when I arrived, as it had been every morning since I got this job. Peter greeted me with a head nod, and I responded in kind. He’d hired me without asking twenty questions, and that was all I was truly looking for when I arrived in town. He unlocked the double doors leading to the facility, and I followed him inside.


Everything was cold, sterile, and smelled exactly like lingering fish guts. My stomach griped again, and Peter raised an eyebrow before flipping on the lights to the office. Ignoring both, I prepared for the long day ahead.


Once the morning boats had dropped off their catch and I’d sent more fish to the sorter than I had ever planned on seeing up close in my lifetime, there was one interesting exchange in my daily routine. Emmett McCarty came in for fresh fish each morning at the exact same time, and Peter had assigned me to work with him. I was positive it was a test to see if I could handle my shit, to act professional and greet the customers.


I could, but I had to prove it to someone who was a virtual stranger.


“Whatcha got this morning?” Emmett called as he strode toward me.


“Mostly halibut.”


Waiting for him to draw closer, I held the headless fish in my gloved hands. He inspected it, inspected me, and grinned.


“Beautiful.”


“Aw, thanks.”


Chuckling, he slapped me on the back. “I’m just saying, if I put you up on the shelf, some lucky lady would snap you right up.”


“Guess it’s a good thing I’m not for sale.”


“Good thing,” he agreed. “Wife would kill me for bringing you home instead of this fish. Let’s see how much you’ve got for me.”


Emmett and his wife ran a small grocery, selling whatever fish came in that morning and the produce they grew themselves. I hadn't met her yet, but he talked about her all the time. 


“I’ll have to stop in after payday to stock my fridge.”


“Cupboards bare?” Emmett asked with sympathy.


“I'll get by.” One thing I’d noticed in this small port town was everyone’s need to take care of each other. Not that I wasn't grateful, but I had less than zero means to return the favor.


“When you’re flush, Oceana Grill cooks these babies up real nice.”


When I’m flush. Yeah. “Thanks for the tip.”


Our business essentially concluded, Emmett moved on to talk to Peter about how many pounds of fish he wanted and what the cost was. Since that was out of my wheelhouse—hell, all of this was out of my wheelhouse—I went back to my job.


At the end of my shift, I washed my hands and winced at the stinging pain of soap and water cascading over cracked skin. I would have to find some cream or something to put over them before the end of the day tomorrow. Saying my goodbyes to Peter, I walked back home.


At midday, it wasn't exactly sunny, but it wasn't as misty as it was during my pre-dawn walk. Clouds dotted the sky as I unlocked my door, finally feeling the type of relief that runs down the spine and settles in the gut.


“Heidi girl.”


She was there, my one constant, thumping her tail in a rapid beat on the threadbare carpet. Sinking down to greet her, I let my head drop to the wall behind me as she climbed into my lap. I wanted a shower, food, and sleep, but I would never think to achieve any of those goals without first taking her for a walk.


Her tippy tapping as I grabbed for the leash made me smile, scrubbing her head and kissing her between the ears. “Okay, girl, let’s go.”


It was becoming a routine. Down Polk Street to Lawrence, along Tyler until I reached Jefferson. Heidi especially seemed to enjoy this route, as there were plenty of birds to chase and squirrels to taunt. Overall, she behaved well on the leash, and I didn't really have to worry about her. The buildings were old, mostly Victorian in style, and the sidewalk consisted of uneven cobblestones. I didn't normally pass the bookstore in the daylight. Since I had no money, there was no reason to stop in, and I would take the next block over. The lure of old books, the bakery next door; it all required money in exchange for consumption. 


If asked, I couldn't explain it. Nothing had changed; the cloud cover was the same, the smell of the ocean a few blocks away remained the same. But the roses and the armchair and the stacks called to me, and I answered.


The front doors stood thrown open in invitation, a chalkboard easel sitting out front on the cobblestones. The sign read:


~Bookish~

Nerds need apply

Pets welcome


Followed by the hours of operation, this was all the information given. I wondered who ran a business and intentionally asked for nerds to come in and work. Squinting at the bit of glare coming off the windows, I spotted the cat at the same time Heidi did.


Stretched along the length of the window ledge, it was sleek and black. Nose pressed to the window, Heidi stared and wagged her tail.


“As long as your dog doesn’t lift his leg on my books, he can come in.”


The feminine voice startled me, and I jerked my head in her direction. I wished I could have been witty in response, but instead I gaped. Deep chocolate brown hair pulled up under a red bandana, a black shirt under ripped overalls, red chucks, and a beguiling smile . . . that’s what greeted me in the doorway as I found my tongue.


“Well, he’s a she, and she’d never think to defile a book.”


“Then you’re both welcome inside.”


Tentatively, I stepped over the threshold. The cat bolted to the cash register, and I couldn't resist petting it. “What’s its name?”


“That’s Charlie. He welcomes everyone to Bookish."


Charlie gave me a headbutt and blinked inquisitive green eyes at me. It was impossible to resist his softness, so I didn't. 


"What’s this girl’s name?”


“Heidi.” At her name, her butt dropped to the scuffed wooden floors, and she held out a paw.


“Isn't that a pretty trick, Heidi?” The woman squatted, shaking Heidi’s paw and rubbing her ears. “And you?”


Me? What about me? “Uh, my name’s Ward.”


“Nice to meet you, Ward. I’m Bella.”


My mouth watered, but it was definitely because of the scent of brewing coffee. Maybe it would cover the stench of dead fish that me and my clothes carried. "I'm sorry, but I haven't showered since I got off work. Walking Heidi comes first."


"Considering where I live, I'm pretty used to it." She stroked slender fingers along the cat's back, causing him to arch and purr. "Can I get you some coffee? Cookies?"


"I wasn't planning on staying." Fuck, her eyes were captivating. I saw the amusement, the openness. The ease with strangers necessary for her occupation. 


"I won't force you to stay." Moving to the table by the armchair I'd spotted through the windows, she picked up a plate of pale cookies dusted with cinnamon and sugar.


"Snickerdoodles?" I confirmed.


"Yep. My favorite."


Trying not to embarrass myself, I reached out for one. Just as I nabbed the edge of a nearly perfectly round cookie, she gasped. I dropped the damn thing as fast as humanly possible and backed up with Heidi between my legs.


"Your hand."


In a blur, she plucked the snickerdoodle I'd touched off the plate and nearly shoved it in my mouth, tugging my jacket sleeve until I had no choice but to sit in the chair, and looped Heidi’s leash through a hook screwed into the desk.


"I have just the thing." 


The cinnamon sweetness was nearly my undoing, but the tin of crap she brought in my direction refocused my thoughts. 


"I can't pay for that."


"Nobody asked you to pay for it. I sell it for my friend, but this one's mine."


My heart thudded painfully in my ears as she drew closer. Seconds before her skin touched mine, my voice lashed out. 


"Don't touch me."






Fish Processing Plant



Bella's Outfit

Hand Cream


2 comments:

  1. Great pics. Love Bella's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this one? Very intriguing chapter.

    ReplyDelete