Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter Three

Ward

A day off was long overdue, and I finally had enough money to buy something other than dog food. Once I realized Heidi enjoyed the water, I vowed to bring her there frequently. Paying more attention to her leash in my grip, I took her back to the park early in the misty morning. Though I wanted to sleep in, sunrise was as far as I got before the nightmares wrested me from my bed. I thought I’d beaten them, but something about this fucking town brought them screaming back.

After dropping Heidi back home and giving her a new bone to occupy her time, I walked the handful of blocks to the bakery cafe I’d had my sights set on since day one. The aroma of yeast in a hot oven greeted me before I even opened the door, and I salivated. Swallowing rapidly, I stood at the counter and scanned the menu on the wall. 


"What can I get ya, hon?"


Blinking, I shifted my focus to the petite brunette speaking to me. "Coffee, without a doubt, but I don't know what I'm in the mood to eat."


"Hot cross buns are popular this time of year, and fresh out of the oven."


This time of year? Oh, right. Easter is around the corner. "Okay, you sold me."


"Coming right out." The woman accepted my cash and rang me up, handing back my change before pouring a chunky white mug full of coffee. 


I sat while I waited, taking that first gratifying sip and then simply staring into the black depths. "Jesus."


I heard a tinkling laugh, and the woman appeared with a plate of buns. "I can't tell you the secret, but we make the best coffee in Port Townsend."


"I'm inclined to agree."


Glancing down at the buns and inhaling deeply, I studied the criss-cross of icing and the dark studs of dried fruit. My first bite nearly sent me to the floor in a puddle. Damn, they were good, and filled the gnawing spot in my belly.


The other tables were empty, which suited me just fine. I preferred to be alone. People walked past the glass storefront in sporadic bursts, and the sound of a radio playing softly in the background caught my attention. The tune was familiar, but I couldn't place the song. I sipped more coffee, thinking that this was some kind of phenomenon right here. 


That a boy with my past could sit here unencumbered on a Saturday morning and enjoy a simple meal was nothing short of a miracle. 


Forcing my mind to remain empty, I focused on the buildings across the street. They all seemed to have something climbing the side of the brick; ivy or roses. Someone smarter than me had probably written poems about such seaside towns, using a bigger vocabulary than I knew. Quaint was the best word I could think to describe it, and it suited. 


"More coffee?"


Startled out of my thoughts, I shrank back in my seat before relaxing and giving a false smile to the woman. "Yes, thanks."


A customer came through the doors, and she moved on to serve them. A tall man came out from the back, a white apron tied around his waist and his long hair bunched behind his head. He and the woman behind the counter exchanged a few words and a kiss before he disappeared. 


I heard a little sigh to my right and tensed my shoulders before locating the source of the sound. 


The bookstore woman stood behind me and to the side, her cat at her feet. Today, her hair wasn't covered, but flowed freely over her shoulders. A man could get lost in that much hair if he had half a mind to—assuming she'd let him. The same red Converse caught my attention as I refused to stare at her face. That damn cat was more obedient than most dogs, waiting for the woman, for Bella, to move from her spot. 


"Here you are," the other woman said, completing her transaction with the customer before turning her attention to Bella and handing her a large reusable bag. 


"Alice, that's too much."


"Jasper insisted."


"I saw him when he came up front. You guys are too generous."


“As much traffic as you send over, it's better than paying for a billboard. Take the food and the coffee, babe, and with all due respect.” Alice leaned in, her dark head matching Bella’s. “Bite me."


Just then, I discovered how captivating Bella’s laugh sounded. "Right back at you."


Hunching in my seat, I tried to remain unnoticed as Bella walked by. 


"Ward?"


No such luck. "Hey, there."


I smiled when she smiled and then watched her hesitate before leaving, with Charlie trailing after her. 


Gulping my coffee and finishing the last of my breakfast, I cleaned up the table and pushed my way out the door. 


Of the Ocean, Emmett's store, was near the water and the warehouse where I worked. Not only had I promised him I'd stop in, but I was genuinely curious. The convenience store back on Jefferson sold mostly snacks and drinks, smokes and magazines. Peter had given me directions to the chain grocery store further inland, where I'd gone for dog food the first week. But this was hopefully something different. 


The exterior was sky blue, the sign a backdrop of waves with the careful lettering painted black. Rays of sun hit from the side, slanting across the windows and blinding me. The woman moving briskly down the main aisle when I entered was nearly Emmett's height, sporting a head full of blonde dreads. Silver beads of some nature glinted under the shop lights as she moved.


"How can I help you today?" She had the type of voice that made me want to tell her to clear her throat. At least she stopped a few feet away from me, which was more than I could say for others in this town. 


"Emmett buys fish from the place where I work, and I wanted to come in and take a look around."


"Oh, that means you're Ward!" Putting her fingers between her lips, she whistled loudly. 


"Yeah, Ro?"


I heard him before I saw him, but then he was standing in front of me with his hand held out. After shaking it, I put mine in my pockets. "I'm curious what you have, and I need groceries."


"Yeah, man, let me get you a bag. We only use this reusable kind, and the first one is free."


Emmett showed me the wooden crates tilted at an angle, lining the shelves, mostly filled to the brim. Potatoes, onions, carrots, and much more tempted me. How long had it been since I’d enjoyed green beans? Radishes?


"Ro is a genius when it comes to growing absolutely anything. We have a few greenhouses, but mostly this is from raised planters stacked along the hill in our backyard."


I let him talk, humming here and there, picking up freshness and wanting desperately to hoard it. They also sold bread, though they didn't make it themselves, and goat's milk products made by a local. So I picked up cheese and goat yogurt—I was brave, after all—only interrupting when he began talking about fish. 


"I don't think I can ever eat fish again."


Emmett laughed, deep and genuine. "Can't blame you. What we don't have, you can find at Croft's or the QuikStop."


I thanked him profusely as I left, nodding at his wife on my way out. Something told me he'd underpriced my goods, but I let it go. It was as though he sensed I needed the help.


Since I didn't have much, putting it away only took minutes, including tripping over Heidi. After a quick walk to let her do her business, I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and shared bits of it with my girl. Full and satisfied, I sat on the end of my bed and rubbed absently over Heidi’s back.


There had to be more to my new life than sitting around a claustrophobic apartment. I hadn't struggled so hard, sacrificed so much, to mope around with nothing but a dog for company. Then again, people made me nervous. Deciding Heidi made a good buffer, I hooked her leash to her collar and headed out the door.


The sun had risen further, showing us all that it would soon reign in this part of the world. For now, it was in the mid-60s and warm enough that I didn't need my jacket. Tugging the brim of my gimme cap lower on my forehead, I wandered with no clear destination in mind. Heidi wanted to lead, so I let her. Crossing through the park, she yipped excitedly at a bluebird until it fluttered to the top branches of a Douglas fir. 


“Now look what you’ve done.”


The tone was agitated, but it was none of my business. Someone was clearly pissed at someone else, but I lowered my gaze to my scuffed shoes and continued on my way.


“What the hell, Larry?”


Larry was obviously an asshole, if the woman’s words were any indication.


“You’re such a fucking idiot, Briana.”


“Ow!”


Goddammit, Larry. Why couldn't you keep your hands to yourself? All I needed was to stick my neck out for someone I didn't know. But Heidi had spotted them too and growled low in her throat while focusing solely on their exchange as it grew louder.


“You’re hurting me!” she shouted. 


“I don't care, you stupid whore! Why haven't you learned your lesson?”


Sighing loudly, I wrapped the handle of Heidi’s leash more securely around my wrist and gathered the length in my other hand. “The lady said you’re hurting her,” I said calmly.


“Who the fuck are you?” Yeah, Larry was good and pissed. Fine. So was I.


“Nobody.”


Larry looked back and forth between me and Briana. “This who you’re screwing behind my back?”


“So what if I am? You’re an asshole, and I broke up with you!” Briana’s upper arms were still in Larry’s grasp, and she struggled to free herself. I recognized the panic in her eyes, the fear dilating her pupils. She had nowhere to go.


“I’m only going to say this once.” Sweat popped out on my forehead. I’d vowed not to be this guy once I moved, but there were extenuating circumstances. “Let go of her. Now.”


Taunting me, Larry squeezed her harder, and she yelped. Heidi had turned up the volume and was showing her teeth, clearly warning the man to step off.


It didn't take much, not for a stupid man such as Larry. An elbow to the throat and a quick whip of the leash around his neck, and I had him pinned to the tree. Heidi hunkered between my legs, always my backup in any situation. “How do you like it, Larry? Huh? Does this feel good?”


“Let me go!” he shouted.


“Apologize to her, and promise to never go near her again.” When he hesitated, I applied more pressure to his windpipe. “We’re waiting.”


“Sorry!” he yelled.


“And?” I prompted. Briana stood next to us, massaging the red places on her arms. That was when I noticed she had a bruise forming under one eye. Red mist washed over my vision, but I forced it back down. 


“And I’ll stay away! Fuck, man!”


Backing up an inch, I stared dead into his eyes. “Make sure we never cross paths again, you hear me?”


Releasing the end of the leash, I purposely dragged it off his neck slower than necessary. Wincing and bitching the entire time, Larry rubbed his skin, stepping toward me.


He changed his mind when Heidi growled once more; the rumble coming from deep inside her chest. Instead, he walked away, muttering under his breath the whole way.


“God, I don't know how to thank you.”


Facing Briana, I glanced at her bruised arms. “You should report him to the police.”


With that, I walked off, hoping I didn't just fuck everything up. It wasn't until I hit the far corner of the park that I slumped under a tree, resting against the rough bark and catching my breath. My adrenaline was high, my throat dry as dust. The breeze picked up, sending brine to my nostrils and leaves whipping past.


“You’re a good girl, Heidi,” I said as I crouched, scratching her behind the ears. She flopped onto her back, and I sat on the grass to rub her belly.


“She really is a good girl.”


Whipping my head up, I had to squint under the brim of my cap to see the face clearly.


Which was entirely unnecessary, considering that I already knew her voice. “Thanks.”


“What was all that?” Bella asked.


“I don't like men putting their hands roughly on a woman.”


“No, I get that. Most people pretend they see nothing and hear nothing.” Crossing her arms over her breasts, Bella looked down on me.


“Yeah, well. I’m not most people.”


Finally, she squatted on the other side of my dog and met my gaze. “I’ve noticed.”


I didn't want her to notice anything. I didn't want any of the people in town to notice me, or anything I did or said. Anonymity was my only friend. Shrugging, I broke eye contact to study Heidi rolling around.


“Have you gotten anything to put on those knuckles?” she asked abruptly. “I sell it, but so do a few other stores.”


“No.” I didn't give her anything else, simultaneously wishing I could . . . what? I couldn’t articulate what, but the answer was no. It was always no.



Corner Cafe and Bakery








Ro



Ward's Apartment


Heidi

2 comments: