Thursday, August 24, 2017

Seismic Shift Chapter 10



It was a dangerous display, a beautiful storm
A flash in the atmosphere and then you were gone
A deadly device, your electric embrace
Surrounded and swallowed me alive
Now I'm not the same

I'm so strung out on the static in my veins
Even when it all comes crashing to the ground
Will you still get me high
Strike me down before you burn away
Like lightning in the sky

You are a violent design, a perfect attack
A flawless moment in time I’ll never get back
The friction you make, the release you create
You are my one and only
My way of escape

~ Devour The Day, Lighting in the Sky

I assume it's the same through the ages; young woman loses her virginity with dreamy boyfriend, daydreams about it later on to the detriment of productivity.

I slept hard for the remainder of the night, waking to weak sunlight struggling to shine through the part in my curtains, lightening my room enough that I could make out my pajamas from last night folded neatly on my desk. My walls were a pale green, the bedspread covered in tiny yellow flowers. Right now it made me think of the meadow, but so would literally anything in my state of mind. I stretched and rolled over, wincing at the soreness in my muscles and the tenderness in my breasts and other areas I had only just learned could hurt. It would all fade before midday.

I smiled softly, caressing my hand down my arm and remembering the way Edward had felt cradled between my thighs. I sighed as I recalled his scent, and the way it had changed during our lovemaking. My lips tingled with the memory of his kiss and still felt swollen and strange on my face.

I was startled out of my thoughts by loud banging on the front door. I frowned, jumping up and dressing quickly in sweats and a t-shirt. My hair was tangled around my shoulders, so I grabbed a band and pulled it all into a messy bun on my way to the door that was still being assaulted.

Pissed at the intrusion, I yanked it open with a scowl. “What!”

I frowned at Paul. He was standing there on my porch, shaking like a fucking tweaker and glaring at me as though I’d killed his puppy. If his eyes could glow red, they would be; his face was screwed up and his muscles were straining.

“Jesus Christ, Paul. Get a grip on yourself before you phase on my doormat.”

“What. The fuck. Are you doing. With vampires!!” He gritted out each syllable like it cost him his life, bellowing the last word so fiercely I cowered back several inches.

“Wh-what are you talking about?” I stammered. I had a death grip on the door, and I scanned beyond Paul’s angry Hulk face to check for passersby.

“Don’t play games with me!! The only reason we’re all turning into goddamn werewolves is because you're a leech lover!!” he screamed in an increasingly manic tone.

“Calm the fuck down. If you’re about to phase for the first time, you’re supposed to go to Sam’s. He’ll help you.”

“I don't give a fuck about getting help! I'm going to kill you!”

For the first time, I realized I had more to fear than Paul phasing on my front stoop. I backed up and slammed the door to give myself a few extra seconds. Racing back toward my bedroom, I slammed that door and locked it before shimmying out my bedroom window. I had no time to enjoy the shifting, the freedom that came with letting my spirit animal loose. It was my only protection at the moment, and I gladly let that shimmering take over and instantly turn Bella Clearwater into a giant white wolf.

I hadn't checked the clock, but someone had to be on patrol. I sent up a series of howls, trying to let anyone within hearing distance know that there was danger. My paws tore up dirt and rocks as I ran to the beach, my mind going over the scene at my house for any wolf close enough to read my thoughts. I wasn't panicked anymore, but I wasn't looking to fight Paul just because he couldn't control his temper.

I heard him running first; the crash and crack of breaking wood, the sound of paws beating the grass into submission. Paul was gaining on me, and I had no idea how fast he was as a wolf. I dimly heard an answering howl, but I couldn't make out who it was. I replied with a lengthy sound of danger and caution.

I couldn't stroll onto the beach in my wolf form without scaring the tourists to death, but the surrounding forest and high rock outcropping might deter Paul from doing something stupid. I weaved and dodged close growing pines, climbing uphill to the point where the boys enjoyed jumping into the churning water. I could hear his mind now; he was still hell bent on punishing me for what he deemed were my crimes.

I needed Sam to give him a direct order, but the wolf that came up on my flank was Jared. I was so focused on Paul’s inner voice that I hadn't heard who was coming.

Jared, we need Sam. Paul is off the hinges, I thought.

I tried to alert him, but I don't know if he heard me, he replied.

Fuck. And there was Paul, skidding to a stop as he came upon a white wolf and a mottled brown one, side by side. Even if he didn't know before what my fur color was, he could hear me and smell me.

Paul. What the hell, man? You're expected to go to Sam when you feel this coming on, Jared chastised him, standing close enough to my side that I could feel his heartbeat.

Fuck it, Jared! Do you know what she's done?! Even his inner voice shouted at me. What in the world did he think he knew about me?

It's not for you to judge, whatever it may be. We have a council for a purpose, Paul. Back. Off. I was grateful that Jared was remaining neutral.

Paul let out a cry of rage inside his head that translated to a rumbling, thunder-like growl on the outside. She's fucking a bloodsucker! I smelled it!

If the blood could have drained from my face, it would have. It rained so hard the night before, there was no way he could have smelled anything. Jared turned his snout in my direction, and his large eyes were accusing.

It's none of your business what I do with myself, and besides, there's a council for a reason, remember? I said defensively.

All of you, stop. Right now! I had never been happier to hear Sam’s voice, especially as it rang with authority and we had to obey.

The humongous black wolf came around a cluster of trees, his eyes focused solely on Paul. My breathing was erratic, and had been since the pounding on my door, but now I was terrified of what would happen once Sam knew whatever Paul knew. I was in deep trouble, but I was more worried for Edward.

The surf below us crashed loudly against the rocks, sending up the briny smell that said home to me. Had I fucked everything up last night? Had I put us all in danger, like I’d been warned I was doing? The cave was just a handful of feet below us.

I was so in my own head that I missed the exchange between the other wolves. Sam turned his giant head to me, and I learned the one thing that I had to fear; separation from Edward.

You are forbidden from spending any time with any vampire, Isabella.

I cringed at the thought, but I realized his words didn't have the weight of the Alpha’s authority that I was used to. I frowned. You have no power over me, I mused in my head.

Sam threw his giant head up, huffing in fury. You are forbidden! he bellowed.

No. No, I’m not. It wasn't even defiance that had me speaking the words, but awe. I could shake off the shackles of worrying over Sam’s decree. I turned and headed for home.

Bella, stop! Sam ordered.

I stopped in my tracks without intending to. What the hell?

I don't know what game you're playing, but you will answer for this at an emergency council meeting. Go home, get dressed, and meet us at the community center.

And I found I was forced to comply, with dread churning in my gut as I worried for Edward.


2 comments:

  1. That was an intense chapter! Thanks for introducing me to this song. Very good choice for this.
    xo
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember now how I found it. It was on the list of suggested videos when I was watching something else on YouTube. It just struck me so hard when I heard it.

      Delete