Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter Twelve

Bella

Though Ward's shoulders were a bit tense, he appeared more relaxed for a change. I wanted him to feel at home in our town, instead of like a man dying inside with every wave hello. Everyone wanted to welcome him, and some of them were more exuberant in their efforts than others. Soon, he'd acclimate to all of it and feel more settled in. Hopefully.

We’d nearly finished a shared bowl of ice cream when his complexion became redder than usual.


“What’s wrong?” I asked softly.


He coughed, picking up his glass of water and chugging it. “It’s just that I don't have the nerve to offer to pay.”


I smiled gently. “Um, you just did.”


“Yeah, well, the bill will be here any minute, and I realized I had to spit it out.” Wiping his napkin over his mouth, he said, “I can’t believe I used to be a cocky jerk who would whip out a wad of cash to show off.”


That version of him was impossible to picture. “You aren't obligated to pay, especially since I invited you.”


“Well, sure.” He frowned. “Except I want to pay for our first date.”


My heart jumped in my chest. “You consider this our first date?”


“Yeah—yes—I mean.” He paused to take a deep breath. “Don’t you?”


“I think that’s perfect.” The need to reassure him was strong, and not only because he was fucking adorable in his awkwardness.


“Okay. Good. Okay.”


“Ward, honey, breathe.”


His quirky half smile was all the response I needed.


“I will let you pay for this date, but I’d like to switch off on future dates.”


“I can live with that.” His smile grew, broadening until it consumed his face. His red cheeks became closer to his natural color, and his shoulders finally relaxed.


“This has been so nice,” I said as the server dropped off the check.


“I can't say that I’ve had lunch out since I moved here. I’ve only tried breakfast at the bakery and dinner at Napoli’s.”


“Oh, so you’ve met Angela and Ben. They’re my friends too.”


“Only her, actually. The guy—uh, Ben—came out to talk with Alice and Jasper, but we weren’t formally introduced.”


“Ben’s mother’s side of the family is Italian. That’s where the recipes come from, and why everything is so close to authentic.”


“The tiramisu was delicious.” As he spoke, he removed cash from his wallet and counted it out to cover the bill and a tip.


But all I could focus on was his mouth when he said the word delicious. “Yes, it sure is.”


Ward rose from the table, holding his hand out. “Care to join me?”


My mouth had dried up. “Where to?”


Our palms connected, smooth and warm. The skin contact was a comfort, but his body heat cranked up my longing for more.


“A walk back to my place. Or to yours,” he added quickly.


“Mama would see us if we went back to my place, and then I’d never hear the end of it.” Hell, I was unlikely to hear it until the end of time, anyway.


“As long as you don't mind me walking Heidi as soon as we get back, then my place is great.”


Of course I didn't mind, and Heidi was happy to see us. It was pleasant to walk off our meal in the sunshine, feeling the way the recent rain had held off the humidity. 


“I’m closed on Sundays.” I don't know why I said it . . . okay, yes, I knew.


“Are you?”


His tone was mild, his focus on Heidi and the squirrel she’d faced down. It was humorous how she could get so crazy over wildlife when she was otherwise very well-trained.


“Yep.”


“Mm.”


Jesus, I needed to speak what was on my mind. Otherwise, I’d combust. “I would love to spend the day with you.”


That got his attention. He looked right at me, and I felt my cheeks heat. “Uh, you would?” 


“Yes.”


“I’m, uh, I have to be at work at four on Monday morning.”


“Okay.” My heart thundered so fast, I thought it would burst out of my chest. "That won't be a problem."


“So, you’re saying the rest of today and all day tomorrow?”


Why did he sound so hesitant? “Only if you want to.”


The hand he’d kept by his side now reached out to hold mine. “It’s more a question of whether that’s what you truly want. Knowing the consequences.”


“I wouldn't have asked otherwise.”


Maybe I was putting his faith to the test. Maybe his resistance was waning, and that was a good thing. But it felt as though the last remaining doubts clung to him like barnacles on an old boat. I’d tried my best to scrape away at his hesitancy, so it was now or never.


The molten emerald in his eyes stared straight into my soul, and I bit back a moan. “This might sound out of left field, but, um.” Ward inhaled deeply. “I got tested after my release.”


He got . . . oh. “That’s important.”


“But if you want.” Here, he paused, his face flaming. “I’ll go to QuikStop so you don't have to start a fresh wave of gossip.”


Oh, this man. “See, I knew I’d made the right decision, but here you are solidifying that for me.” Bumping into each other as we walked close together down the street, I wrapped my arm up in his to cling as tight as possible. “But you and I are already the subject of plenty of gossip, Ward.”


“I was afraid of that.”


“But if you trust me—”


“I do, more than anyone but my sister.”


Tears pricked my eyelids. The last remaining pieces of my heart fell to my toes, flopping like a fish on the sidewalk. Though I’d known I couldn't continue holding out against loving him for much longer, I wasn't sure if that freefall had completed until this moment.


“That’s good enough for me,” I assured him.


After all, he’d split open his entire life for me, showing me the messy inner parts that weren't so good. Trust was a two-way street, and he’d proven himself repeatedly.


Some quirky part of me wanted to tell him about Riley calling it knocking boots instead of sex. But I was certain I’d only embarrass him, so I waited patiently while he unlocked the door and let Heidi inside first. She went straight for her water bowl to get herself a drink before plopping down on the kitchen floor. I wrung my hands nervously while I waited for Ward to set down his wallet and keys.


His apartment was mostly just the one room, though the bathroom veered off behind the kitchen. The bed was neatly made, a light gray comforter straightened with precision over the mattress. I suddenly worried what my breath must smell like, but I’d been careful to avoid garlic at lunch. The strawberry ice cream we’d shared was the last thing I’d eaten, so I hoped that was what lingered. Nerves fluttered in my belly as Ward went into the bathroom and came back out.


Since he looked as nervous as I did, it actually made me feel better. “I’ll be right out,” I said, and ducked into his little bathroom. It kind of looked like someone had dumped a bottle of Imodium all over the tiles. The minty green was kind of cute, but I focused on using the toilet and washing my hands, checking my breath the best I could, and trying to resist rummaging for mouthwash. I didn't want to violate his trust in me, so I settled for drinking some water from the tap and drying my hands.


Ward stood with his back to me when I emerged. The window on that wall was not very big, but it had a nice view of a small green space behind the building. 


“My real name isn’t Ward.”


Silence descended after that. It made sense, but I hadn't even stopped to think about it.


“I was born Anthony Masen, and I went by Tony. More often, they called me Masen on the streets.”


My tongue wanted to stick to the roof of my mouth. As promised, he handed me everything he had inside him, all tied up in a bow. All his secrets were now mine, and I vowed silently to guard them with my entire being.


“Edward is my middle name, and I chose to shorten it further when I crossed the country to hide. My new last name comes from a distant relative on my mother’s side.”


He had never told me his last name, but I knew it from all the town gossip. “So Ward Cullen is already a cover name?”


“Yes.” Hands in his pockets, he turned. “It's a good name, and I like it better than my birth name. I don't know what will happen when I approach the authorities about an alternate identity. I’m sort of terrified they’ll make me change everything. Again.”


“Do you want me to do it for you?”


He tilted his head, and the late afternoon sun lit his hair on fire. “It might be for the best if someone other than you or me goes down there. I don't want someone to spot me. Or you, since everyone knows by now we're together.”


“Ro is who I’d trust to do that.” Any of my friends would help, honestly, but she came to mind first. “I’ll ask her about it if you want me to.”


“Okay.”


Clasping my fingers together, I took a few steps forward. “We’ll be okay, you know.”


“There’s no guarantee.” He closed his eyes. “I learned a long damn time ago, there are no guarantees in life.”


“So did I,” I said. “Losing my parents so young solidified that for me.”


“I guess the difference is that you took that to mean life has to be grabbed by the balls and lived with all your heart.”


I smiled. “And you take the more cautious route, which leaves you rather miserable.”


“I’m not miserable anymore, Bella. And it’s because of you.”


My mouth was dry again, so I swallowed. “I want you to be happy, Ward. With or without me.”


“But I want to be happy with you.” Closing the distance between us, he said, “You’re already happy without me. I want to try to be happy together.”


With my palm on his cheek, I rose to kiss him gently. “As long as you remain honest with me, I think we have a shot.”


Since I was right there, it was easy for Ward to deepen the kiss. To press his body against mine, to hoist me closer until there was no space for air between us. His lips were soft, insistent, as he opened his mouth. Need coiled inside me, climbing desperately up my spine in its effort to explode. It had been a fucking long ass time since I’d had sex, and I wanted nothing more than to feel his hands on me. Desire rushed through my head, pumping along my veins and pushing my blood faster through my system. My nipples scraped against the fabric of my bra, so hard and tight they ached. 


Calluses had hardened the skin of his palms, and they rasped over the sensitive skin of my lower back. The ticklish sensation made me arch and moan, and he gripped me tighter to him. My breath shuddered out of my lungs, and I sucked in more air before nibbling his bottom lip.


My cell phone rang in my purse, and I ignored it. Ward jerked slightly, and I settled on the balls of my feet to look up at him. “Ignore it,” I whispered.


The ringing stopped, and I sighed in relief. Ward dipped his head toward mine again, and I grinned against his mouth.


But then my phone started up again, and I groaned in frustration. “Just give me a second to see what’s going on.”


I answered the phone while Ward went to the kitchen for a bottle of water. The caller ID showed me it was Riley, as I had suspected.


“I thought you knew the store as well as I do by now,” I said in irritation.


“That’s not the problem,” she responded, and I felt my head go light at her serious tone of voice.


“What’s wrong?”


At my question, Ward came to stand beside me, his hand resting on my back.


Her response nearly sent me to my knees. “There are police here, and they’re looking for Ward.”











1 comment: