Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Fire In The Water Chapter Eleven

Ward

I’d barely gotten the word out of my mouth when an older woman came bursting into the store. Backing into the shop, she hung up her umbrella and peeled off a striped wool cape while speaking the entire time.

“I swear, it’s a gullywasher out there, sweetpea. An absolute drencher.”


Since I had a minute before the woman became aware of my presence, I moved over to the armchair and picked up my tea. Bella’s face was pink, her gaze darting between me and the gregarious woman.


“How’s it been in here this morning?” Pushing damp curly hair out of her face, the woman turned and spotted me. “Oh! I didn't realize we had a customer.”


We?


“I’m Riley, Bella’s mama, and sometimes her salesperson.” Extending her hand, she gripped mine before I could actually offer it to her. “Nice to meet you. You’re Ward?”


Bewildered, I looked over at Bella. She was grinning from ear to ear, petting Charlie’s back as he bumped his head into her chin.


"Yes, I'm Ward."


Riley winked. “Everyone knows everyone in this town, dear heart.” 


“I guess that explains it,” I said. I tried not to feel intimidated, but her personality dominated the entire space.


“Ooh, Bella, you put out some tea and honey. Just perfect for a day like this, isn’t it, Ward?”


“Especially the honey,” I murmured, maintaining eye contact with Bella.


“Emmett and Ro dabble in beekeepin’. They don't sell it yet; don't have enough to go that extra step.” She poured a cup of tea and added a generous spoonful of honey. “But we get to reap the benefits, don't we, now?”


“Sure do. Um, I came in because I wanted a few more books to add to my collection.”


“I know just the thing.” Taking me by the arm, Riley steered me around the corner of the nearest shelf, bringing her tea with her. “You like legal thrillers, I can tell.”


What the actual fuck did this woman eat for breakfast? “Um, sure. David Baldacci is good.”


“I knew it!”


Four Davids and a few Toms later, Riley pushed me toward the counter with alacrity. Her touch was gentle on my back, in all honesty, but she might as well have twisted my arm behind me and forced me to the register. Riley certainly knew how to make someone say yes when they hadn't intended it.


"I don't know where I'll put all these," I said as Bella rang me up.


"I'll buy them back from you or trade them when you're done reading."


"Really? Won't you lose money doing that?"


"Well, actually, I have an entire section of used books. It helps to have a wide variety of options in such a small town."


"Tourists might give us a few big days a month," Riley said. "But loyal townies are the bread and butter of Bookish. We have to offer what they’re looking for."


"Some customers don't have as much extra money to spend, and I'd rather they get the chance to read what they like. It's more important than making a huge profit. We have a library in town, but they don't have very current editions unless they receive donated books."


It was just like Bella to think of others first, to align her dreams with reality to ensure they worked out. Something else nagged at the back of my mind, but I put it away until I’d checked out and said goodbye.


Leashing Heidi as soon as I walked through the door and set down my bag of books, I took her to the surf to let her run around. The rain had left behind a clean slate covered in a layer of steam. Few others were out and about, which I knew from my short time here was unusual. Heidi took off, barking madly as I released her. 


It was pathetic to think I had so much in common with a dog; very recently, I’d been cooped up in a tiny room, only allowed out when someone in charge decided it was okay. And, worst of all, still being on a leash when I did get to go outside. Never truly liberated, never exercising my personal autonomy.


But I’d put most of that behind me. I’d gained freedom here, even if it came with shadows of secrecy and looming threats. If I gave in to Bella’s wishes, as I’d so easily agreed to do, then I had more to protect than myself.


She had a family, albeit an unconventional one, who would be impacted if anything happened to her. In her mind, she was unencumbered, able to choose her path in life without hesitation. Unlikely to have even considered how Riley would feel if the Volturi men found me with her and used her against me. Or, fuck, they could use her family against me and her to get what they wanted. After all, they had no scruples whatsoever.


“I thought I might find you here.”


The exact words I never wanted to hear from anyone. Catching sight of Heidi a few feet away, I judged how long it would take for her to return to me if I called her over. She was distracted for now, but would undoubtedly come running soon. 


“How did you know I’d be here?” There was no use in panicking. I’d accepted this a long time ago, if I were being honest with myself.


“You’re kind of predictable.”


Fuck. That was the opposite of my intentions. “What’s predictable about me?”


“For one, you take your dog down here every chance you get.”


“But I take her at different times of the day.”


Speaking of the dog, she spotted us and charged in our direction. Squealing at the full weight of a wet labrador retriever jumping on her, Bella laughed and allowed Heidi to lick her face.


“She likes you.”


“I’m very likable, Ward.” 


All I could do was smile. The anxiety that used to crash over me in Bella’s presence had faded.


“You hightailed it pretty quick after Mama sold you those books.” Sitting on the wet sand, Bella accepted more of Heidi’s affection, scratching her behind the ears and down her neck.


“She’s . . . a force unto herself.”


Blocking the sun from her eyes, Bella looked up at me. I sat beside her so she wouldn't have to squint, and she watched Heidi run off again. “She’s loud, that’s for sure.”


“And pushy, and lovely, and I can tell she dotes on you.”


“She and Jay both do. Why does that apparently bother you?” Since she was close beside me, Bella leaned her head on my shoulder.


“Because you have more to lose by being with me than I originally took into consideration.”


“You’re not backing out of our deal, are you?”


The resigned tone in her voice hit me in the chest like a wrecking ball. I’d done that to her; given her every reason not to take me at my word. “I don't want to back out.”


“But?”


“But you have to understand it’s more than merely you and me. It’s your pseudo parents, it’s your friends, it’s the townspeople. So many of them count on you, Bella.”


“You should give me more credit.” Dragging her finger through the sand, she created a drawing of waves and a shining sun. “Why can’t I have what I want, but everyone else can?”


“What they want doesn't come served with a side of danger.”


“Any of them could drown, or be hit by a bus, or die of a heart attack. Any of them could be robbed in broad daylight. Do you think they should hide in their closets because life is scary?”


Tilting my head down to study the side of her face, I wondered how she could put everything into perspective so offhandedly. It seemed obvious when she said it that way. 


I welcomed the warm weight of her body aligned with mine. There was more of her I craved; so much more. When my only companions had been my inner thoughts and a dog for so long, I didn't even know how to deal with an accepting human.


“No, they shouldn't hide from life. Their odds aren't the same as mine, but I understand your point.” Nudging her red Converse, I said, “Maybe I even agree with it.”


A few moments of silence passed. “Riley has command of Bookish. Do you want to get some lunch?”


Heart pounding, ears ringing, I realized my lust for her had blinded me to the simplest of avenues. 


A date.


“Yes. I fear the answer to you will always be yes.”


“It’s lunch, Ward, not a firing squad.” Standing and brushing off her pants, she called Heidi over. My dear little girl came lumbering in our direction, her tongue lolling and a derpy smile on her face. 


That wrecking ball punched me in the chest again. I could have this for a long time if I tried really hard. My sweet dog, a beguiling woman, and even her crazy cat.


“I’ll have to take her home and dry her off first.”


Bella snagged my hand as we walked down Clay Street, and I didn't mind if people stared. At least there was something other than me to look at for a change. It was rare for Heidi to act up, but she strained on the leash in a hurry to get somewhere. Once home, I let us into the apartment and unhooked her leash, only to watch her run for her water bowl.


“She’s nuts today.”


“Maybe she senses your excitement.”


“Are you as intuitive as a dog?” Bella stood just inside the door, waiting patiently for me. While Heidi was occupied, I decided I would take advantage of the opportunity. 


A little startled noise escaped Bella’s throat as I grabbed her around the waist. Her lips curved up just the slightest as I gazed down at her, and then I pressed my mouth to hers. A light brush, back and forth, mostly because I knew I could. I knew she would not only let me, but wanted it too. Nothing like who I’d known in the past, Bella was her own woman. Smart, ambitious, caring beyond belief, and not out for what I could give her. She didn't care what I had to offer outside of myself.


Heidi pushed her body between us, wagging her tail hard enough to bruise my legs. Bella laughed, her face lighting up with a pleased grin.


“Okay, girl, let’s get you dried off and settled.”


Working quickly, I scrubbed a towel over Heidi’s fur and dug out a bone to give her something to do while I was gone.


“Where do you want to go?” I asked. I wasn't broke anymore, but my job would never make me rich.


“Have you been to Oceana? They have a reasonable lunch menu.”


“I have not, mostly because the thought of fish makes me queasy these days.” Picking up my keys, I led Bella out the door and locked the deadbolt.


“They have more than fish, though that’s of course what they're known for best.”


“It’s either that or pizza, isn't it?” The perils of small town life, I realized.


“The bakery has lunch options, but that comes with Alice and Jasper in our faces. As much as I love them, I’m not looking to make a scene about the two of us today.”


Again, small-town life. “I don't have a car, so if we go inland, it’ll have to be on the bus.”


“I have a car, though I don’t have to use it often. That said, I’ll do whatever you want.”


The idea of going that far didn't excite me, so I agreed to walk to Oceana Grill. It was on Hudson Street, close to where I worked, and not that far from my place. We passed Crimson and Clover, which appeared to be a clothing store, and I could see Of the Ocean a few buildings down. 


“Have you been there?” Bella asked, gesturing to Crimson and Clover.


“Why would I frequent a women’s clothing store?”


“Maybe you like a pretty pink thong now and then, who knows?” Laughing at her joke, Bella continued, “Because Peter’s wife owns and operates it.”


“Oh.” He had never mentioned his wife. Then again, we didn't talk much.


“Maybe we’ll stop in after lunch. She sells some of Riley’s products, too.”


“I’d rather buy them from you.” I opened the door of the restaurant and held it for her. “Putting money in your pocket makes more sense to me when I don't know Peter’s wife.”


“Charlotte is a pleasant woman.”


“I’ll take your word for it.”


Once seated, we had an expansive view of Point Hudson Marina and the entire bay past the inlet. The sun glinted off the water, throwing pearls of light onto the tinted windows. Focusing on Bella first and then the menu since her head was down, I tried to decide how to bring up who would pay the check. I wanted to treat her, but I got the impression she’d rather pay her own way. 


"Bella."


Bringing her head up, she smiled at me. "Yes?"


My words caught in my throat, my thoughts jumbled. "You look pretty today."


"Well, thanks." Her cheeks pinkened. "Ready to order?"


"You know what? I am ready."


Ready for anything, as long as Bella was there with me.



Riley










Oceana


2 comments: