Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Right Where I Want to Be Chapter 31


After too many sleepless nights worrying about it, I’ve convinced myself that Edward was not at the club. I don’t have time to worry about him and his issues, anyway. Rose and I have spent every daylight hour at our new home away from home, cleaning, drawing up ideas, and talking to suppliers. I’ve filed all of the paperwork with the city, after a long and irritating afternoon at the Seattle Municipal Center. I was lost on what all needed to be done and the woman was less than helpful.

Rose is bringing Emmett today for actual physical labor, and I’m really excited to meet him. When they come through the front door together, I’m taken aback by his height. Despite her warnings, I can’t believe how tall he is, but at least Rose has height on her as well. He has a loud voice to match his size, like someone speaking through a bullhorn.

“You have to be Bella!” he booms.

“The one and only,” I reply with a smile.

When he reaches me he sweeps me up into a hug, and I realize that Rose was right. He’s perfect for her, and I love him already.

“You must be Emmett, aka: my brother from another mother.”

He laughs and pats me on the back before letting me go. “Rose says you and I must have been separated at birth, so it’s nice to finally meet you, sis.”

“I agree.” I look at Rose, who looks about to burst with pride and happiness. “So, you ready to get to work?”

“We are,” she assures me. She’s pulled her long blonde hair into a bun and thrown on an old shirt and shorts. I’m dressed similarly, knowing I’ll wind up with paint on me.

Emmett starts installing the poles according to our diagram while Rose and I paint the walls. They’re just going to be white, but I want to embellish them in places with a stencil I found at the craft store last week. It takes us most of the day to complete, but I’m so fucking satisfied to see it coming together.

“Can you come back tomorrow to install the mirrors?” I ask Emmett as he puts his tools away.

“Absolutely, but it’ll be after my shift. I get off at three.”

“Hey, I won’t argue with that. I can’t thank you enough for helping.” He opens his arms for a hug, and I laugh as he squishes my paint covered body against his sweaty one.

“You are paying me in gold and diamonds, right? That’s what Rose said.” I catch the glint in his eye, and I laugh at him.

Rose snorts. “No, I told you your help was worth more than your weight in gold. Buffoon.”

They smile stupidly at each other, so I head to the bathroom to wash up a little. The bathroom needs some feminine touches to keep it from looking like a gas station toilet, but at least it’s clean after I scrubbed it to death.

“Hey, you okay?” Rose asks, peeking her head around the open door.

“Yeah, of course. I just wanted to give you guys a minute.”

She doesn’t comment, especially since I can’t meet her eyes. She just pulls me in for a tight hug and doesn’t let go.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Poor Bella....but she seems to be getting by and making new friends.

    ReplyDelete