Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Seismic Shift Chapter 23


It's said she’s made of storm cells
and a wild wolf’s hungry heart,
that she's learned the lightning’s secret
to ripping darkened skies apart.
The power of her presence
can bring the mountains to their knees.
Her song is one of chaos
as she stirs the angry seas.
But if you've met, you're none the wiser,
since she is also born of light.
Another face amongst the crowd;
the hidden hiding in plain sight.
Great power doesn’t always come
inside the forms that you'd assume,
but you would never doubt her strength
when she is howling at the moon.

~Anonymous

Nothing ever happened the way we expected it to. As humans—or as close as we came to being such—our subconscious made plans without always thinking of the contingencies or the deviations that could arise. I made plans, laid them out carefully, and set the worry aside. I would celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday in a week, before returning to school and completing my exams for the term. Then I would return to Forks for the winter break and tackle the problem of Sam and his pack of assholes. Sue and Harry would accompany Esme and Carlisle to South America, more specifically Brazil, and meet up with their friends that might have seen my birth parents. I was torn between my responsibilities at home and the idea of meeting my mother and father. It looked like I was Amazonia-bound in January.

The universe didn't want to make things that easy for us.

I didn't know anything about the impending ruination of my plans, however, so after all the talking and strategizing in the living room, Edward and I were finally tangled up in his bed. His bedding was warm and fluffy, and I snuggled down under the comforter as I kissed along his hard jaw. The thermostat had been turned up for me earlier in the day; despite the fact that I didn’t get cold as easily as humans, I was still not comfortable with the indoor temperature with the heater off. I focused on the white column of throat in front of me, running my tongue around the area where Edward’s pulse should beat. I knew it was a sensitive spot for me, so I figured it would be for him as well. His groan was my reward, along with the shifting of hands and the fingers that ran down my sides until I giggled.

“It was not funny,” he whispered into my ear.

“You tickled me,” I responded, trying to keep quiet and failing. Edward assured me his family had gone hunting for a few hours to give us privacy until I fell asleep, but I still worried they were close enough to hear us with their superpowers.

I laughed again as his hand swept over my hip bone, but it turned into a moan as he pulled down my sleep pants. I kicked my feet out to help him get them completely off, and looked up at him as he loomed over me. My shirt and his clothes were long gone, half of which were tangled in the sheets with us somewhere. Edward leaned down to kiss me, stealing my breath and my soul as he consumed everything I had to give. My tongue stroked his, his lips moved with mine, and I couldn't breathe and I didn't care. When he pulled away to kiss my forehead, I pushed on his chest until he moved to his back.

Throwing one leg over his waist, I straddled Edward and sank down over him, filling me to my core with his long, thick cock. I’d once told him it must be a vampire attribute, growing in size as the change takes over the body. I was mostly joking, but it felt as supernatural as everything else about him.

He hissed, his head pushing back into the pillow as his hands gripped my hips. His pleasure only turned up the heat flaming low in my belly, and I leaned back on my hands to change my angle. There was nothing to compare to the way he made me feel. If it was supposed to be sinful, I didn’t see how; it sure felt more like our own little piece of heaven to connect, to feel like one person with my mate, my imprint. I felt the coil tightening, and then Edward was sitting up, pulling my chest to his, and thrusting into me.

My climax broke free, and I shuddered in his arms, crying out as I held him tightly against me. He continued to move, pulling my hips to meet his with a force that should have bruised me, but only prolonged my orgasm. When he shouted several cuss words and stopped moving, I dropped my head to his shoulder and tried to catch my breath.

“I think I’m rubbing off on you,” I murmured into his skin.

“You can rub one off on me any time, love.”

I laughed. “I mean, you’ve been cursing like a sailor lately. Like me.”

He spoke into my hair. “It also happens that your roommates use words as dirty as the horniest rogues.” He kissed my head.

“They do, don't they? I love them.”

Edward hummed, shifting us so that I was lying down in his arms. “I love you. I like them,” he responded.

“As it should be.” I yawned. “I need to make a trip to the bathroom, but I’m too tired to move.” We were up in a flash, and I was standing upright in the bathroom in the next second. “Ah, thanks?”

He left me alone while I did what I needed to do, and waited for me outside the door. He scooped me up as I exited and carried me back to the bed, tucking me under the fat white comforter and propping himself against the white tufted headboard. His room had an industrial feeling to it, and I gazed heavy-lidded at what was in my line of sight. Pictures of the surrounding landscape, abstracts in stark colors, and so many books I’d never be able to read them all. My eyes closed as I tried to focus on the photo of the Sol-Duc River that flowed behind their house, and I fell asleep to the sound of Edward singing as he stroked my hair.

“Bella! Bella, wake up!”

“Alice?” I opened my eyes to a grey dawn-lit room and a short vampire standing by the bed.

“Get up! It’s the pack, there’s trouble.” Her ocher eyes were wide and urgent.

I sat upright, blinking as I looked around. “Where’s Edward?” I asked her as I rubbed my tired eyes.

“He and Emmett ran to your parents’ house to warn them,” she said in her soft voice.

“Okay, what happened?” I rubbed the spot over my heart, the worry over Edward and what could be wrong causing a deep pain.

“I've seen it, and I think I know what time it’ll happen. I sent them to warn the others, because it’s still so early.” She spit her words out rapid-fire, and I struggled to follow along. Her gaze was vacant; she wasn't seeing Edward’s room, but the foretelling of something yet to come.

“Seen what, Alice?” I finally shouted in my impatience. By now I was out of the bed and pulling clothes out of my suitcase. I stopped when I saw Frank’s food dish. He’d been pretty happy in Edward’s room, as long as he could hide. Emmett swore he’d get the cat to play with him before we left, but I didn’t see it happening. I pulled out the bag of kitten food while Alice continued to talk.

“I’ve seen an ambush; the pack travelling with Sam is coming today. This morning. They can't agree on what they’re going to do, which is why I need everyone prepared. One of them wants to come here, one wants to go straight to the council office and destroy the ancient records, and one wants to burn Jacob’s house down.”

I gasped and looked up from my task. “With the assumption he’ll be in it?”

“That wasn't a popular opinion, so they relented and suggested just grabbing him out of bed and taking turns beating him. Either way, someone needs to be at his house.”

I closed my eyes for a second, breathing deep and separating myself from Alice’s panic. This was what I was good at, this was something I’d trained to do, with Sam, no less. The tribe might constitute a small percentage of my heritage, but it was there, guiding me as I pictured my spirit animal.

“Alice, send Jasper and Rosalie to the council office. When Emmett returns, the two of you should go to First Beach and watch the populated areas in case they go after humans. Seth and Leah will want to protect their home, and Jake his. Edward and I will join Jacob. He can split up the other wolves between the locations as he sees fit; I’ll make sure one or two come here to stand with Carlisle and Esme.”

I looked up when she didn’t respond. Alice was standing in front of the dresser, her eyes unfocused again. “It works,” she whispered, her gentle voice even lower in pitch.

“What?” I didn't like the look on her face. There was more.

“I’m not sure, but there's something…”

“Something?” I prompted.

“I don't know. Everything looks shaky, but the outcome of the fighting doesn't change.” Her nose scrunched up as she concentrated.

“Not to be rude, but we don't have time for ‘I don't know’. We need to move. Where is the rest of the family?”

“Downstairs, waiting for Edward and Emmett to come back.”

“Okay,” I said. “Let’s go downstairs.”

Alice streaked out the door and down the stairs in a blur. I followed, seeing the other four vampires waiting in the foyer. The front door opened as I hit the last step, and Edward flashed to my side. He wrapped his arms around me, and the lingering cold air on his clothes made me shiver.

“Are you alright?” he asked, running his hands over my arms and up to my face.

“Yes. I’ve come up with a plan; you and I are going to protect Jake’s house.” He raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything.

“Okay, everybody, out the door. Emmett, you’re with me,” Alice ordered.

I explained what I knew to Edward as he and I ran to Jacob’s house. He agreed with my plan, and we found Jake outside his cabin-like home as we arrived. He had recently moved out of Billy’s house, since they disagreed about so much lately, and he was fixing up a small one-room house further out towards the edge of Quileute land.

“Hey, Bella. Edward,” he greeted us.

“Alice says they might come here first, so we’re here for back up. Have you dispersed the others?” At his nod, I continued. “Good. We need to phase.”

Jake took off in a lope to circle the house, and I knew it was to give each of us privacy to undress before phasing. I stripped quickly in the brisk early morning chill, drawing on the venerable wisdom that somehow flowed through me each and every time I drew on the strength of my wolf, my spiritual twin. The energy within me snapped and crackled, and she unfurled herself from the inside out.

I shook out my coat, my breath huffing through my teeth before I turned to Edward. He looked on in admiration, his golden eyes glowing at me. I turned my head as a massive red-brown wolf came from around the side of the house. I could hear his thoughts in my head.

Just so you know, we won't be able to hear Sam or the others. Now that we have different packs, you’ll only hear Seth, Leah, Collin, and Brady. Until Quil makes a decision, he still technically belongs to Sam’s pack.

I understand.

As the three of us stood waiting, Edward leaned into my side and spoke. “I heard you, Bella.” One blue eye rolled in his direction, trying to focus on him as he stood so close. “I heard your mind. All you said was I understand, but it was amazing to hear you.” He stroked the fur behind my ear, and I huffed.

I hear something, Jake thought, and I turned to focus on the sound. Slowly, a mottled brown and black wolf emerged from the trees surrounding Jake’s house.

Quil! You made the right choice, I thought.

He stared hard at Edward for a few seconds before turning back to me. Despite your choice in mate, you are my cousin. Jake is my cousin. And Sam and his pack are wrong to try to take control this way.

“We’re glad you’re here to help, regardless of how you feel about me,” Edward said.

Whoa, what? Quil sounded confused.

Edward can read minds, I told him.

Quil shook his large head and chuffed in annoyance.

Not any different than the pack mind, Quil, Jake pointed out.

“They’re coming!” Edward hissed. We all froze, standing in a circle to protect each other’s backs.

I sensed more than heard the huge paws as they came closer, leaving ruts in the soft mud deep in the forest. I saw in my mind’s eye the way they moved stealthily for such massive creatures. We were near the size of workhorses, tall and broad shouldered and strong. The leaves bent, the trees bowing to the power that passed through almost silently. I focused on my breathing, stretching my hearing to better pinpoint their arrival.

I think they’re almost here, I thought. Just a few more seconds.

And then I saw the steam leaving their snouts as they emerged, muzzles first, then heads, followed by shoulders. They blended until they didn’t, their cover no longer a cover as they walked forward. One monstrous black wolf, one black and grey, and two grey and white wolves were coming straight for us, bent on revenge. It looked like we’d won the location lottery.

“I can hear your thoughts,” Edward called, his hands up in a placating gesture. “If you want to discuss things rationally.”

I heard the strange sounds that were similar to laughter coming from the four wolves across the yard from us.

“You love what is killing you and expect to survive!” Edward shouted, and I startled before realizing he was speaking for one of them. Most likely Sam. “You’re a traitor, and so are the rest of you leech-lovers!”

I growled, and it vibrated long and loud from my chest and out my lips. The two wolves surrounding me growled in response, and their thoughts were of violence.

Edward, tell him he’s the traitor for wanting to steal the Alpha position that clearly belongs to another.

Edward repeated me, and the others snarled in return, their teeth snapping together and their great claws digging up the dirt.

“It looks like we’re going to have to prove who the true Alpha is!” Edward shouted. “Idiots,” he muttered.

But I was ready for them. I was born for this.

 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully the others will show up to help at Jake's house soon. Sam and his group are messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a lot going on in the next chapter.

      Delete