Friday, September 7, 2018

FAÇADE Chapter 32

This is Halloween
Red 'n' black, slimy green
Aren't you scared?
Well, that's just fine
Say it once, say it twice
Take a chance and roll the dice
Ride with the moon in the dead of night
Everybody scream, everybody scream
This is Halloween

~Marilyn Manson, This is Halloween

When I would do anything for my girls.

We reached the day of the Halloween party without too much trouble. Bella was still shaky in some areas, but nothing as bad as what she'd experienced with her panic attack. Despite seeing physically abused women on a daily basis, she remained strong and continued to attend therapy twice a week. Emily was good for her, and it seemed to me that Bella was doing better with her than with any of the counselors she’d spoken to previously. When I asked her about it, Bella said it was both because she felt more like she could be honest with Emily, but also because she was more comfortable with her.

The day before Halloween we drove over to my sisters’ house. They had a modest three bedroom home a few neighborhoods away from our parents’ place. Mom and Dad never attended the Halloween party, but all of Kate and Maggie's parties were well known in our family. They went full out in the decorations department and asked guests to bring the food. We were bringing mummy dogs at Vicky's request; hot dogs wrapped in strips of dough. She loved them. She was going to be dressed as a ninja, including fake katanas strapped to her back.

Bella wasn't keen on wearing a costume at first, but then she found some steampunk ideas online that she really liked. Before I knew it, she was thrusting a waistcoat and a goggle-topped hat at me. The bonus was how she looked in her dress—if it could be called that—with all the lace and layers showing off her legs, and a low cut top.

Kate answered the door in a long red shirt that read Netflix. “What are you supposed to be?” I asked her as I kissed her cheek.

“As soon as you see Mags, you’ll understand.” She stepped aside so we could enter.

“Okay.” I glanced at Bella, and she was trying hard not to laugh.

“I get it. It’s cute and comfortable for the pregnant woman. Here’s Vicky’s mummy dogs, where can I put them?”

Kate took Bella to the kitchen so I wandered through the living room and looked at the handful of other guests. I walked past an impressive Beetlejuice, a Sandy and Danny, and something that looked like a rainbow had thrown up. Maggie came around the corner from the hallway, and her shirt was blue with snowflakes sprinkled on it.

“Hey, Maggie.”

She and I hugged before she stood back and took in my costume. “Nice. I can tell you didn't pick this yourself.”

“Why’s that?” I looked down at myself, too. I had to admit I didn't look half-bad.

“The last year you were here, you wore a t-shirt and jeans. When I asked what your costume was, you said James Dean.” She rolled her eyes. She was right, it hadn't really been a costume.

“You’re the mean sister.”

She snorted. “Little stuff is in her room, but she’ll be out in a sec. Katana emergency.”

“Is it fixed?”

“Yeah. They were falling down, but I tightened her straps. I think she was going to hit up the bathroom before making another debut.”

I watched for any sign of her, and sure enough she bounded down the hallway toward me a minute later. “Uncle Edward!”

She was loud enough to draw the attention of a few others. I just smiled at them before turning my attention back to Vick and her bear hug. “Hey, squirt.”

“Did you bring Bella?” She craned her neck to look around me.

I grinned. It made me really happy that she loved Bella so much. “Of course. She went to the kitchen with your momma.”

Vicky bounced up and down, and I could see how the plastic weapons on her back had come loose. “I like your costume. Is Bella’s like yours? My moms are Netflix and chill, but Mom says I’m too young to know what it means. Do you know what it means, Uncle Edward?”

I cleared my throat. “Um, yes, but don't ask me to explain it to you.”

She frowned at that and began towing me toward the kitchen. “Do I look like I can kick some tail? I wanted to be b-a-d-a-s-s, but Momma said I can’t say that.”

“Where do you get all of this energy from?” I was having a hard time keeping up with her physically as well as conversationally.

“I’ve got better batteries than the Energizer Bunny, that’s what Nana says. What’s the Energizer Bunny, Uncle Edward?”

“Um, a big pink bunny that bangs a drum and rolls around on the floor. He keeps going and going because he runs on good batteries.”

“Oh!” She stopped in the middle of the room, laughing so hard she bent at the waist and let go of my hand. “Nana is funny.”

By the time we made it to the kitchen, Bella and Kate were in a deep discussion about something. Bella held up a hand to Vicky when she saw her.

“Hey, Vicky.” They high fived like it was a long lost secret handshake. One up high, one down low, and some other thing I missed when I glanced at Maggie as she came into the room.

“Do you want to sit on the porch before all the guests arrive?” she asked Vicky.

Vicky agreed, and we all headed out to the front porch. The night was quiet outside with only the lingering sounds of the other party goers we could hear through the open front door. Most of the houses in their neighborhood had Halloween decorations of varying styles. The one directly across the street had purple lights strung along the eaves and black ghosts hanging from the tree in the front yard. I shivered in the chill, wishing I’d grabbed a blanket like the ladies had. Vicky couldn't seem to sit still, so she kept trading off whose lap she sat in.

Apparently, Bella and Kate had been talking about the fact that I was staying at Bella’s more often than Mom and Dad’s. I was essentially living there, we just hadn't made it official. I heard them talking about it in low tones as Kate asked if I’d changed my address yet.

“Are you going to share your secret, Bella?” I heard Kate murmur.

“Do you think I should?” she whispered in return. “In front of everyone?”

“It’s just us.”

There were a few beats of silence, followed by a burst of laughter from inside. I was curious what they could be talking about, but I figured I’d let Bella make her decision without my input.

“Bella, are you and Uncle Edward gonna get married?” Vicky asked as she climbed up into Bella’s lap.

Bella wrapped her arms around my niece and kissed the top of her head. “I don't know.”

Four sets of female eyes turned in my direction. “Don't be looking at me. If I thought Bella was willing to marry me, I would have asked a long time ago.”

Vicky looked back at Bella, and put her hands on her cheeks. “Do you want to marry Uncle Edward?”

“Vicky, you need to leave them alone,” Maggie admonished.

“I just wanna know.”

I couldn't even look at any of them after that awkwardness. We soon left the porch for the warmth of the house and the guests. The doorbell started ringing much more often as some time passed. When most of their friends had arrived, Maggie and Kate walked around to tell everyone to dig in to the food in the kitchen.

I took the opportunity to draw Bella aside. We stood near the front door, the dimmed lights making it feel secretive. Bella’s eyes were shining up at me, and I ran a fingertip across the top of her chest.

“There’s no pressure,” I assured her.

“I know.” She smiled up at me. “But what if I want a little pressure?”

My eyebrows went up. “You do?”

She leaned in to me, rising on her toes to kiss my jaw. “I might.”

“Is that your secret?” I couldn't help but ask. “That you wouldn't mind me asking you to marry me?”

She closed her eyes as she rested flat on her feet. “No. Are you sure you want to do this here?”

Now she had me worried. It was news to me that she wasn’t opposed to marriage. I thought we’d end up ‘dating’ until the end of time. “I promise not to blow up at my sisters’ house, if that’s what you mean.”

She took my hands in hers and stared up at me. “You want marriage, and- and kids, right?”

“Someday, but don't feel like you have to—”

“I’m not feeling pressured. I promise. It’s just that you’re going to get one of those sooner rather than later.”

“One…” I trailed off and stepped away from her to look at her from a distance.

“One, as in, the kids portion of the marriage and kids.”

I dropped her hands to wipe mine across my face. I wanted nothing more than to start a family with her, but I had been basically terrified that Bella was more likely to cut and run if I mentioned committing to each other. It seemed that fate had stepped in to tie us together. Better than that, she was calmer than I was about it all.

“It was, um, most likely stress that screwed with my birth control. I actually talked to Emily about it before finding an obstetrician.” She fiddled with her hands, wringing them together in front of her. “I was kind of freaked out, and worried about what it all means, for us and for me.”

“Nobody thought to mention sooner that it was a possibility? Okay. It’s okay. We’ll make good parents, right? It’s just a little sooner than we expected.” I took a deep breath and let it out. “Do you want to get married first, do it in order?” I wasn't sure yet how happy she was with the fact that she was going to be a mother so I went with cautious optimism.

She laughed a little, clearly relieved at my response. “I don't care about any order. Whatever you want. I don't need to get married to have a baby with you.”

“But do you want to? Get married, I mean?”

“I wouldn't mind it.” Even in the dim foyer I could see her blush. “Yes, I would love to marry you.”

It made me happy that she didn't seem to be reluctant. “Does this mean I can officially change my address to yours?”

“As long as I can change my last name to yours.”

I grinned when she grinned. “I love you, you know.”

“I do know.” She went up on her toes again to kiss me.

“I’m happy, you know that, right? I just need a minute to wrap my head around all of this.”

“I’m just glad I didn't scare you off. Kate said not to worry, but of course I worried.”

“It’s nice that you feel you can confide in her.” I kissed her temple.

“Are you guys ever gonna come eat?” Vicky said from behind Bella.

“How long have you been standing there?” I asked sternly. “It’s not polite to eavesdrop.”

“Since Bella said she didn't need to marry you to have a baby with you.” She looked from me to Bella. “But you are, aren't you? I would look good in a flower girl dress.”

I barked out a laugh and moved to ruffle her hair. “Let’s go tell your moms.”

Kate and Maggie were not surprised about the baby news, so it was clear that Kate told Maggie. They were pleased for us, to say the least.

“I don't think I want a big wedding, Kate,” Bella began.

“Nonsense, everyone wants to show off with a beautiful dress and a nice venue.”

I knew Kate didn't intend to dismiss Bella’s feelings, but that was exactly what she’d done.

“No, Kate, I’m serious. I don't want any fanfare. I don't want…” Bella looked around before leaning closer to Kate. “My past to catch up to me.”

Kate’s eyes went round and huge. “Oh. No, I guess you wouldn't want anyone back in Seattle to hear about it, would you?”

Bella shook her head.

“Okay,” Maggie intervened. “How about spring, a park setting, and an officiant?”

Bella shook her head again. “Sooner than spring.” She waved at her waist. “I don't want to be a walking blimp in a wedding dress.”

Kate narrowed her eyes. “I don't think you’ll reach blimp size.”

“Maybe not.”

I was the next one to pipe up. “Are you talking winter? Christmas?”

Bella looked at me for a very long time. “How do you feel about that?”

“It would be hard to forget my anniversary if I got married on Christmas Day.”

She rolled her eyes. “Maybe the first week of December, or even the first week of January.”

“Where, then?” Maggie asked.

“Honestly, if we could run away to Vegas it would be much simpler.”

“Here! We could do it here,” Vicky said.

Bella smiled at her. “It’s a good idea.”

“It is, but not just to placate her. It really could work.” I looked at Kate as I said it.

“What’s placate?” Vicky asked.

“I like it,” Kate said to me. “As long as this blimp doesn't have to decorate.”

“My harem,” I said as I widened my arms to indicate them all. “You please me.”

Bella groaned and leaned in to my side. Kate and Maggied moved off to their guests after a few eye rolls and swats to my shoulder.

“Can I still be the flower girl?” Vicky asked.

“Absolutely, short stuff.”

She hugged me, and tugged on me until she could kiss my cheek. “Thank you, Uncle.”

“Anything for my girls.”

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent too long looking for them, of course, but I'm happy with them.

      Delete