Monday, July 23, 2018

FAÇADE Chapter 19


All these minutes passing, sick of feeling used
If you wanna break these walls down, you’re gonna get bruised
Now my neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it
Already choking on my pride, so there's no use crying about it
I'm headed straight for the castle, they’ve got the kingdom locked up
And there's an old man sitting on the throne that's saying
I should probably keep my pretty mouth shut
But I'm headed straight for the castle

~Halsey, Castle

When I experienced pain that was worse than all the violence one should have to endure in a lifetime.

I heard from Felix late that night. I was alone in my home with just the ghost of Garrett haunting me. Felix had sent in a clean up crew the night before while I tried my best to sleep with Edward curled around me. The sense of how much I’d betrayed the man I loved already burned in me so that I was unable to rest. I’d taken something good and pure and twisted it until it suited my needs. I hadn't ever intended to fall in love with him. That was never in my cards, something as simple as love. My life was complicated to say the least. I was going to use him, turn him, and convince him to betray his oath. I didn't know I’d stumbled upon one of the last human beings to have integrity. What I’d asked of him and what he’d agreed to do in order to cover for me was eating away at me. In the end, I would still have what I wanted, even if it was for a brief moment. I would have control of the Family, and I would see that Carlisle lived out a long and happy life.

Even if it killed me.

Felix called to tell me that he had the recording of Jasper shooting Emmett but not discovering what was hiding in his mouth. Jasper had been really worked up apparently, and didn't notice how out of it his brother was. Tomorrow, Carlisle would invite Jasper to his house, and I would tell him everything. It would be a pretty good guess to assume Jasper would want to ensure I died. The kicker was, Felix was going to turn in the tape anonymously, and we were counting on the feds coming to arrest him. If that failed, well, it would be a bullet to the head courtesy of me.

If it wasn't death, I could find peace with Jasper spending his life in prison. As long as I fixed it for myself and Carlisle, then it would be worth it. Since they would have nothing to charge me with, I would take over once Jasper was gone. I would cut out the strip club, the drugs, the forced protection payments, and clean house. If I could keep our arms deals, I would make my money off that, but barring that idea, I wasn't entirely sure what I would do for income. My father had left me plenty of money, but I couldn't pay to employ anyone that stayed and wanted to pledge their loyalty to me without a steady stream of incoming cash.

Everything now hinged on Edward keeping quiet to save me and himself. If his conscience fucked with him and he had the sudden need to tell the truth, there would be nothing I could do. All of my carefully laid plans would fall by the wayside, but more than that, he would pay the price for getting involved with me, and I hated that thought. I really had tried to protect him, marginally in the beginning, but with a desperation once I’d realized my feelings for him. I’d fought those feelings, and I’d fought them hard. Loving Edward would only spell disaster, and I actively tried not to like him. Pushing him away the last few days had been hard on me, not to mention how I must have made him feel. The more he hated me, the less trouble he would be in.

After another sleepless night I made my way back to Carlisle’s house. I was upset with Carlisle, upset with myself. I wanted him in my corner, frankly I thought he was always in my corner, and I was shocked that his reaction to Edward was to want to kill him. It seemed that no matter which choices I made, I messed things up and made them worse. I couldn't decide if I should tell Edward that Carlisle knew about him, or if he would feel nothing but betrayal. I wanted to show Carlisle that I had a plan, that Garrett’s life wasn’t given in vain. I wanted all of this to be over so I could never hurt anyone else again. I wanted to protect them all, but it seemed that I failed over and over.

All of my efforts, all of my scheming, had been leading me up to this moment; it wasn't the time to second guess myself. I’d dressed carefully, wanting to show Jasper that I wasn't the trash he thought I was. Nervously, I ran my hand down my hair as I got out of the car and walked in to Carlisle’s house for the second time in two days. Maria was clearing the breakfast dishes, and I hoped she would leave the main part of the house when she was done. Hell, she should pack a bag and run for her life.

I found Carlisle in his study going over some paperwork. He looked up at me as I came in and sat down. “Bella.”

I nodded at him. “Carlisle.”

“I trust Felix has turned the tape in as instructed?” He sat back in his chair and steepled his hands together in his lap.

“He has. He left word that Jasper would be here at nine.”

“Then let’s hope he’s at least punctual.”

“Him and the police,” I muttered.

“He’s not going to be happy with the outcome today.” That was an understatement.

“No, he’s going to go apeshit. We have to be prepared for anything.”

He inclined his head. “I’ve beefed up my staff, and I trust Felix will be here?”

“He will.” I looked at the clock over Carlisle’s head. “Any minute now. He’s going to join your men by the back door, since it's closest to the living room.”

“Then we should wait in there.”

We moved into the other room, and Carlisle sat in his favorite chair. I found that I couldn't sit, so I stood staring into the fireplace and imagined Jasper going down in flames. The visualization helped somewhat, but I was still nervous when one of Carlisle’s henchmen came in to announce Jasper’s arrival.

He would come alone to his father’s house, of that I was certain. He expected censure for Emmett’s death, most likely. He would receive that and so much more. He would hear the truth, all of it, and then the police would knock on the door. They would be ushered in like royalty for the first time ever and I would stand by and watch as they arrested him for killing his own brother.

“Pops,” I heard behind me. “Good morning.”

“Good morning, Jasper. Have a seat.”

There was a bitter chuckle. “Are you calling me on the carpet?” And then a shuffling sound. “Who’s this?”

I figured that was my cue to turn around and face him. “The big bad wolf in sheep’s clothing, of course.”

He started to get to his feet, but Carlisle’s outstretched hand stopped him. “Now, now. Sit the fuck down, son.

Jasper fell back into his seat, staring at me incredulously. “Why is she here?”

“It’s time for confession. Did you bring your rosary? No? That’s fine.” I smirked.

Carlisle spoke to get Jasper’s attention. “It’s time to tell you what’s been going on around here.”

“Either you’re calling me on the carpet over Emmett or you’re stepping down, old man. Nothing else about this whole scenario would make any sense.”

“Then I suggest you open your mind and broaden your imagination. You see, Bella has been running the Family since her father was murdered.” Jasper made a sound of disgust and glared over at me. I smiled widely at him. “I gave her the reins exactly as Charles intended. I have merely been the consigliere for over a year now. You have seen what you wanted to see, which is a shame.”

“So, now that you know that I’m your boss, let me tell you what went down with Emmett.” I stretched one arm across the mantle and leaned casually against it. “He didn't betray you.”

Jasper’s face turned an alarming shade of red. “What? Of course he did, I got proof.”

“Yes, manufactured proof that I provided to you.”

“Son of a bitch! Then who tied him up in the office yesterday?” Now he stood, pacing behind the chair he’d sat in. “You’re not strong enough to subdue Emmett.”

“Oh, I have people. Men that are loyal to me and Carlisle, not you and your scum brother.”

“That means…” He looked up at me, the hatred in his eyes clear. “That means I had no reason to kill my brother. You bitch!”

He lunged for me, but I had my gun pulled from the thigh holster under my dress before anybody could blink. “He deserved to die. So do you, but I have no intention of spilling blood in Carlisle’s home unless I have no other alternative. So don't make me shoot you.”

Jasper faced down my Glock for several minutes before he relented and turned away to glare at Carlisle. “What the fuck is this shit? You condone this? He was my brother!”

“Half brother. And you should have thought of that before you assumed he betrayed you.” Carlisle stood now, meeting Jasper’s eyes. “You are not my son. Emmett was not my son. You are a disgrace to this entire operation, taking the lion’s share for yourself and not passing the riches on to your capos. You think they didn't notice the pay cut? You think I haven't heard for a year and a half about how much better it was under the Swan? You sicken me.”

“Daddy dearest knows all about what you and your brother did to me. Count yourself fortunate that it was mostly Emmett, or I would have found a way to make you pay dearly, the same way I did to him."

Something registered on his face as he looked over his shoulder at me. I saw fire in his eyes. “The clean up crew found something in Emmett’s mouth. They couldn't tell what it was at first. That was you.”

“Now you know not to mess with me,” I said simply.

His roar of rage took me by surprise, as did his second attempt at lunging at me. I fired at him, catching him in the arm, but he kept coming. He had me on the floor, punching me in the face before anyone else made it across the room. Carlisle was shouting something, but there was a ringing in my ears as blow after blow accumulated in my skull. My senses went by the wayside, and all I knew was the pain.

Then there was nothing. No pain, no sound, just blackness. One eye pried open, and there was Edward with his weapon trained on Jasper, who was panting with the exertion of kicking my ass. Felix and a man that went by Titan were holding him back. I smirked and flipped Jasper off as he struggled in their grasp.

Then I lost consciousness.

I awoke in my bed, expecting a hospital and seeing my lampshade, my jewelry box. Edward was there, he was always there. I was such an idiot for not seeing that sooner.

“Your bullet went through Jasper’s arm and hit Carlisle. He’ll be okay, but he’s currently in the hospital. He has armed security, just in case you think you’re going to go bust him out.”

I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't even speak. Emotion clogged my throat as much as the pain.

“You can sleep. Felix is here.” There was a pause and I blinked, worried he was about to disappear. “I won't be here when you wake again. My case is over.” He looked like he was suffocating, like every word was dragged up from lungs short on air.

Tears slipped from eyes that clenched against the onslaught of agony. I had seen enough violence to last me a lifetime, and none of that hurt more than knowing Edward was going away. There was the feel of his lips on my forehead, and then he was gone.


 

2 comments: