Thursday, June 8, 2017

Capo di tutti Capi Chapter 4

BPOV


I knew that I was taking a risk leaving my husband the way that I had. Eli had packed my things while we were in the meeting; I needed to be prepared in the eventuality that I was unsuccessful in convincing my father-in-law that my men didn't need to appear on a slab to be properly punished. I had him take me directly to the Benbrook warehouse so that I could release Black and Newton personally.


Striding in the back door, I noted the men stationed to guard the prisoners. They would kill them with no regard and leave no trace if the order came down from Capo Re. It was their job, after all. I stalked straight to them, informing them that I was relieving them of their charges and taking them with me to be punished. One man hesitated, frowning, and I raised my eyebrow and my weapon high.


“Do you want your last sight on this earth to be my gun between your eyes? Do not second guess my command again,” I seethed.

Nodding rapidly, he turned to the two tied to metal chairs. The warehouse was cold, echoing, the way most of ours were kept. The enforcers untied the prisoners, and they slowly stood, eyeing me warily.

“With me,” I ordered, and they followed me out and into the waiting car. Eli had been directed to stay behind, so I slid behind the wheel and headed in the direction of the safe house I’d chosen. It was earmarked for my parents as the last resort if ever things went to total shit. As the in-laws of the uncontested highest ranking crime family boss, they lived in a large brownstone in the historic area of the city. They wanted for nothing, occupying themselves with various hobbies and charities. It was smart of them to agree to the marriage when Carlisle first extended the offer; it was a lucky coincidence that my husband and I had found passion and love in our arrangement, and that Edward had thought enough of me and my intelligence to ask me to run the empire by his side.

I thought of the reaction Edward was likely to have upon returning home. It wasn't my intent to upset him, but I had to have a contingency plan to save my childhood friends, and I couldn't allow Carlisle to suspect I'd done anything other than leave my marriage. Still, I recalled the look of anguish on Edward's face when I asked for a divorce. We often disagreed, being loud and passionate Sicilians, but there had never been a time that I didn't think we could work through our tempers. This felt different. This felt like war; one that I'd started.

“You seem lost in thought, cigno.”

I glanced in the rear view mirror at Jacob Black. I'd built sandcastles with him as a little girl, and now I'd saved his life. “Concerned about your welfare, Jake. Capo Re chose a decidedly more stringent punishment than Capo di Capi.”

“Wait, so you busted us outta there? Wow, Miss Bella,” Mike said with a tone of awe. He was not the brightest man, having been born with a learning disability, but he usually followed directions to the letter. He made for a great soldier if he had a partner, but he'd never be a made man like Jacob could. Or could've, if he hadn't screwed this up.

“How did the rats get into the warehouse? I thought all holes were plugged, gentlemen,” I asked, watching their faces in my rear view mirror as the car was intermittently lit by street lamps.

“I'd just stepped out for a smoke when Newton shouted that he'd seen somebody. We took on fire as they covered their asses, and by the time we made it to the loading dock they'd driven away with the truck. I called Garrett because I knew he and Eli were nearest to our position. I was informed when the two came to take us to Benbrook that they’d apprehended the truck.”

Jake's story sounded stiff and rehearsed, and something prickled at the base of my skull. “Is that how it went, Mike?”

I watched him glance at Black before responding. “Yeah, Miss Bella. That's what I remember.” Something was off. As I pulled up to the safe house, I slid my Glock from the holster at my waist.

“Here we are, boys. Everything we need should be inside.” I made sure to get out last, following them up to the door. I had to enter the security code, but I kept my body turned toward them as they stood next to me. The door swung open and I gestured them ahead of me, wondering if I was being paranoid. I'd known these two much longer than I'd known my own husband, and I felt that I could trust them with my life.

At least that's what I'd thought. Now I couldn't be sure, and I found myself watching my back as I checked the fridge and pantry. My gun was a heavy comfort in my hand as I scoped out the bedrooms. There were only two, both of them with their own bathroom. The smaller was done in mostly browns, the carpet beige and the curtains in a blue and brown pattern. There were two single beds with blue bedspreads, each with their own table and lamp. The larger room was all grey and had a huge bathroom with a walk in shower that I planned on utilizing later. What I was especially interested in was the large closet with the hidden arsenal, but I would check that only after I was locked in here alone. I tucked my gun back into my waistband.

“Sorry, boys, you'll have to bunk,” I apologized as we met back up in the large living room. “I think I'll just go ahead and crash for the night,” I announced. Jake stared at me for an uncomfortable amount of time before nodding and heading down the hallway.

“He feels responsible, Miss Bella. He's real sorry,” Mike offered as we stood together in front of the fireplace in the main room.

“It's okay, Mike. Mistakes happen.”

He beamed at me before saying goodnight and heading down the short hall to the same room Jake had gone in. I checked the security system before going to my own room, and I locked and bolted the door behind me.

It was going to be a long night.


Cigno~ swan




2 comments:

  1. I'm here for the visuals. (he he he) Do I need to leave you love anywhere else??? READ YOU SOON. 🌺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Sometimes the visuals are everything!

    ReplyDelete