Monday, April 9, 2018

(Un)Requited Chapter 12

All the plans have been made, and it has been easier than I expected. A few phone calls and burning up my credit card worked wonders. There was a limo set to pick us up from the airport and take us to my parents' house, filled with flowers and champagne. We're just about to land, and I have my fingers linked with Bella's as we wait for the landing gear to be lowered. She's gazing out the window, in awe of the landscape below. There is snow on all of the buildings, and it looks like the river is partially frozen. It's a barren landscape, the complete opposite of her home state.

When we finally land, we file out with everyone else, me more impatient than anyone, it seems. We reach baggage claim too early, and have to sit and wait. I just look at Bella, taking in her favorite brown boots and large brown bag, and her cream colored sweater. It just amazes me constantly that this woman is mine, and I'm itching to show her exactly how much I mean that.

I grab our bags when they come revolving around on the carousel, then lead Bella outside to the line of hired vehicles. There's a man in full livery holding a sign reading 'Cullen', and I pull Bella along with me as I head over to the limousine.

"Wow, Edward. I didn't know you were going all out." She already sounds in awe. Just wait until the doors open in 3, 2…

I hear her gasp and quiet 'holy fuck' as she sees the interior bathed in flowers, the champagne bucket in the corner full of ice and a fat bottle. The driver stows our bags and offers to open the champagne, which I let him do. I make damn sure the partition is up before settling in the back beside Bella.

"This is just the first of many surprises I have for you, my love." I pour two glasses, handing her one and a single white ranunculus. Thanks to the florist I called, the back of the limo is swimming in bouquets of them, and it really looks great. And I learned what the fuck a ranunculus is.

"Who knew you were such a romantic, Edward?" she murmurs, leaning in for a sweet kiss. She takes a sip of her drink before setting it down. She takes my glass and sets it aside with hers before climbing into my lap. I tilt my head back to watch her face, my hands going to her hips. Her legs straddle me, and her hands are in my hair. When her soft, warm lips meet mine, I know in my heart that she's never going to leave. She's my forever, and I'm hers.

When we reach my parents' house, I'm almost disappointed, because we have to break up our make out session. Almost. I love my mom and dad, so the feeling is fleeting before I'm excited to take Bella inside.

They have a modest home in a suburb of Chicago, and Mom has a tasteful cranberry wreath on the front door. We crunch through the snow, reaching a door that is thrown open as we approach. My mother and father are very attractive people in their early fifties, both with dark hair and ready smiles.

"Bella, you remember my mom, Esme, and my dad, Carlisle," I say as they each extend a hand for Bella. My mom adds in a hug, and my dad shakes her hand.

"Hi," she says a tad shyly.

"It's so nice to see you again. It's been so long." My mother is grace incarnate and would never bring up our unfortunate time apart. The same cannot be said for my dad.

"What have you been up to since you deserted Edward?" my dad asks rudely, and I shoot him a glare.

"Dad—"

"Carlisle!"

"Mr. Cullen, I appreciate you looking out for your son," Bella's voice rings out above ours. "Maybe we could have tried a long distance relationship, but I didn't want to tie him down to a girl moving more than a thousand miles away." She looks at me, and I think my heart will burst. "Lucky for me, I came to my senses just as he was offered the chance to move to my city. Now I have everything."

She's rendered my father speechless. Honestly, I had no idea he felt that way. He frowns, turning on his heel and heading to the kitchen.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," my mother gushes, but I put up a hand.

"Don't apologize for him. Bella handled it." I kiss her on the cheek. "I missed you, Mom."

oOo oOo

Despite his horrible beginning, my father warms up to Bella before the night is over. They always got along before, and I didn't realize he was that upset over her leaving. It makes me feel warm and gooey inside, like a human marshmallow. Except for him sending me up in flames at the door. That was bad.

We exchange a few gifts, drink quite a few cocktails, and eat my mom's fabulous cooking. The lights are shining against the windows, and the fireplace is burning brightly. I feel so relaxed, and I realize I'm having a lot of fun.

And then I catch Bella yawning, trying in vain to hide it behind her hand and a smile. Can't have her tiring out on me just yet.

"Bella, you wanna go? You look dead on your feet."

"Sorry, I'm just used to a really early bedtime." She blushes, and my mom pats her on the arm.

"What time do you get up for work?" mom asks.

"4. It was brutal at first, but I've gotten used to it."

"4 in the morning?" my father asks incredulously.

Bella nods. "I have to be in the chair by 4:30, so I just get up and go. My wardrobe is kept there at the studio, and they do my hair and makeup. And they provide plenty of coffee, thankfully."

"And you're done by 10?" Dad asks, apparently suddenly curious.

"My last segment is at 9:45, they do a shot of all of us as they go to commercial, then it's a bunch of random talking and announcing the next show. The show ends at 10. Most days I stay and work on the forecast, since I don't make it up as I go along," she says while looking right at me. I might or might not have said that to her once. "If I leave, I can do some work from home because it's all computerized these days. Most of the equipment is at the studio, though, so I typically stay until one or even two."

"That's quite a commitment," my dad replies. Who's the gooey marshmallow now?

Once Dad is satisfied we'll be back tomorrow afternoon, I help Bella with her heavy coat and we dash through the snow. The limo has reappeared, since I texted the driver fifteen minutes ago to come back. The flowers are still there, but the champagne bucket is gone.

He takes us to the Palmer House Hilton, and we get out on the sidewalk.

Bella looks up at the red lights under the awning, and then gasps as we step inside. The carpeting has large neutral colored paisleys, the registration area long white marble. But what she can't resist heading to is the large lobby that's completely decorated for Christmas. Trees, even at the tops of the escalators, poinsettias taller than she is, and the gorgeous mural on the ceiling. I watch her taking it all in as I wait in line.

I come up behind her when I'm through checking in, taking her hand in mine. "Are you ready?"

She turns and looks at me. "More than ready."



 
3

No comments:

Post a Comment