Monday, April 9, 2018

(Un)Requited Chapter 14

Having to go back to being an adult sucks, but such is life. At least I don't have a job where I'm stuck in an office wearing a suit. I've decided to go downtown and meet up with Bella when she gets off work, and I know she's staying until a little after noon today. She can show me another of her favorite lunch spots here in Seattle, if I don't die from the cold first. Seriously, I think there are icicles hanging from my scrotum.

The streets are busy this time of day, and I'm almost to the station building when I hear my name being called. Turning, I see Riley standing there behind me on the sidewalk. The short little shit actually comes right up into my face, or at least he tries. Toe to toe, he only comes to my chin. I snort, because I can't fucking help myself. You're really going to bow up on someone whose height you can't match?

"Why the fuck are you here? Huh? I had everything until you came and screwed it up, asshole."

Oh, so his problems are my fault? "That's funny, 'cause I'm positive you were already ruining your own life by screaming at your girlfriend before wrapping your clown car around a fire hydrant."

"You know nothing!" His face is red, and he's panting with his indignation. "She was going to marry me, and we were going to be the best on-air couple Seattle has ever seen!"

"The problem with that delusion is that Bella is not a pawn in your stupidity. She never loved you, and she would never marry someone she didn't love."

"What the fuck do you know?!" he screams.

"I know whose bed she sleeps in, that's for fucking sure," I reply smugly. Yeah, I'm baiting him now.

He shrieks, like a toddler who just had his toy taken by another child. I simply raise an eyebrow, waiting for his next move. I won't be surprised if he tries to punch me, which would be the worst mistake of his life.

"You're an asshole, a nothing! Do you even have a job? You're always hanging around her pussy like she's your fucking alpha and you're just a hound looking for a quick fuck!"

"You wanna disrespect me, you little fucking punk? Everything I've done to be who I am, as hard as I've worked and as far as I've fucking come? You don't know me, and you sure as fuck never really knew Bella." He clenches his fists, and I cross mine over my chest. "You even dare to raise your fist, I'll slap you so fucking hard, it'll feel like you kissed a speeding freight train. You're nothing but a little, trendy fucking bitch."

"I hate your fucking guts, Cullen! Mark my words, I will make sure Isabella is mine again!"

I laugh, straight into his face. "Mark your words? Really, Snidely Whiplash? Are you gonna take the head off your monster suit now and tell me you would have had it all if it weren't for 'us meddling kids', too? I know it's got to chap your ass, to think I just won't go away. But I don't give a shit what you think."

"Edward? Riley?" I see Bella behind the Gherkin-who-would-be-King-of-Seattle-morning-shows, and he turns to look at her. She comes closer, her eyes going back and forth between the two of us. Her brow goes up as she looks at me.

"I've got nothing more to say, so how about we grab some lunch?" I hold my hand out to her, and she takes it without hesitation, which helps my ego quite a bit. As we walk away from the station, she leans into me.

"What was that?" she asks as we walk.

"Mangina wants to blame me for your break up. Says you would've been the perfect on-air couple if I hadn't come along."

"Well, he's an idiot, of course," she replies dryly.

"Of course," I agree.

"I like you surprising me."

"I thought I could take you and Alice for lunch."

"That's very sweet of you." Her tone of voice is surprised.

"'Sweet' is my middle name."

She laughs. "I think 'horny' is your middle name."

"Just let me know when you want me to stop waking you in the middle of the night, or interrupting your nightly shower, or any of the other times I rock your world."

"Never, baby. Never."

I grin and grab her waist. Her breath shows as a cloud of air as she laughs. "That's good, because I never want to stop loving you."

"Then don't, Edward. I won't."

oOo oOo

After lunch we head over to the gallery, and Alice shows me the sculpture she thinks I would like. It looks like an angel's wing, so I immediately think of Bella, and tell Alice I'll take it.

"Edward, have I told you lately how good you are for Bella?" Alice asks.

"Jesus, Alice, his ego is already the size of the Hubble Telescope."

"No, baby, that's the size of my co—" I cut off as Bella clamps her hand over my mouth.

"I don't mind a good dick joke, Bella, you didn't need to shut him up." Alice sounds amused, and I smirk behind Bella's hand before licking it.

"Lord, are you two sure you shouldn't be the ones dating?" Bella grouses, wiping her palm on her pants.

I laugh at her absurdity. "I tried, but Alice loves her lawyer man, don't you, Alice?"

"His telescope is big enough if that's what you're asking. So, Bella, does that mean Edward's a shower and a grower?" Bella groans, but I laugh at Alice.

"Damn straight. What else ya got, shorty?" I ask, and she shows me a few more pieces. I'm not entirely interested in weirdly shaped blobs of marble or wooden vaginas. Seriously, who buys the pieces that could double as a fleshlight?

Alice packs up the art I've chosen, and I haul it out to my car. When I look to Bella, I want nothing more than to take her back to her place and just do a bunch of nothing. Since she's agreeable, I head off in the direction of her apartment. She lives very close to the studio, so we get there quickly.

It's easy with her, comfortable. It always was. I collapse next to her on the couch, wrapping my arm around her shoulder as she turns on a movie. She dozes as I sort of watch the TV, sort of just stare at her. I can't keep my hands to myself, but I don't want to disturb her nap. She never complains about being tired, but she must be. She's adjusted her schedule to be awake with me later in the evening than she's used to, and I have no control when it comes to waking her at night.

She shifts, snuggling into my side. I wonder where she sees us going, if she's interested in moving in with me. I'm not as close to her office building, but I'm not that far away, either. It could work. I don't know how she manages to work with that hobgoblin every day, looking him in the eye and pretending she doesn't hate him so she can present herself nicely for the live viewing audience. I would have laid him out flat a long time ago.

Soccer is starting up again soon, and then I can take my energy out by smashing the opposing team. I can picture his face on my opponent.

"Edward?" Bella says, her voice raspy.

I kiss her forehead. "Hey, sexy lady. Sleep well?"

"Mmhm." Her eyes are still closed.

"Dream of me?"

She giggles. "I dreamed we were in an episode of Scooby Doo."

"Christ," I laugh, and she falls into a fit of giggles.


No comments:

Post a Comment