Thursday, May 18, 2017

Perdition Chapter 15

Edward moves us further into the kitchen, towards the stockroom so that we can talk without being seen.

“Emmett really freaked out when Rose told him she was pregnant. He was in holding awaiting sentencing, and she went to the jail to tell him. He insisted she move in with Mom and Dad, promising they'd take care of her and the baby.”

I watch him pause, scratching above his ear as he thinks over his next words. I squeeze the hand I hold on my lap, reassuring him. He squeezes back, smiling at me.

“Rose agreed, at first. She was still playing the dutiful wife, very emotional and teary-eyed. Then, Emmett was sentenced to ten years, with eligibility for parole after seven.” His hand goes from his hair to scrub over his face, rubbing his eyes tiredly. “Rose turned on a dime. She threatened the family that she would terminate the pregnancy if she didn't get a huge payoff. It was such a mess, Bella.”

Edward turns those soulful eyes to meet mine, and it’s only then I realize I’m crying along with him. “Edward. You must have been going through so much because of me, and then you had this to deal with on top of it all?” Tears drip off my chin.

“It was a tough time, there's absolutely no way to sugarcoat it. Needless to say, Emmett was depressed and looking at jail time, Rose was making a huge scene everywhere she went. Mom and Dad were devastated. Alice cried all the time, and her grades started to slip,” he says. The expression on his face makes me think he's remembering it all in his head.

“Poor Alice,” I murmur, thinking of his scrawny younger sister and what she must be doing these days. She may be younger than I am, but I always liked her. I hope she's at college, studying hard and making friends.

“Dad and I decided that the best way to deal with Rosalie was to draw up a contract. She'd get paid for medical and living expenses if she agreed to a private adoption, provided she terminate her rights and never ask for more money.” Edward looks at me again, swiping at a stray tear with his thumb to my cheek. “She agreed, of course; we knew she was just looking for money, that had been her intent all along with hooking up with Emmett, he just couldn’t see it. When the baby was born, she insisted she be named Malone because Rose was under the impression that was a famous female gangster.”  He cocks his eyebrow at me.

In spite of everything, I laugh at how absurd that sounds. “Instead of a children's twisted version of a mob boss? She named your daughter after Bugsy Malone?”

Edward laughs, too, releasing some of the tension hanging in the air. “She sure did. Most of the time I call her Mallie, but it doesn't matter in the long run.” He pauses to take a breath, and I can assume by his facial expression that the next part is difficult for him to talk about. “She was underweight when she was born; Rose was smoking and drinking throughout the pregnancy, which violated the contract she signed. So when we had Mallie safely at my parents’ home, Dad dropped the hammer. Told her she wasn't getting the rest of her money, and why. Lord, she put up such a ruckus that security was called on them. Dad said it didn't take much to convince them he hadn't done anything wrong.”

“So why would she come back now? Surely she doesn't think you'll give her money?” I ask incredulously.

“That's exactly what she thinks. She moved to Seattle and married Royce King, who apparently works for Jacob Black. I thought originally that Jake owned an auto body shop up there, and that Royce managed it. I'm guessing it's not nearly as non-criminal as I first assumed.”

I sigh heavily. “That's the guy that Sue says Jacob is minutes away from killing. He's stealing, and doing a bad job of keeping the underhanded part of the business a secret. He's drawing unwanted attention, and the feds are already on to them. They're taking that one next, and I'm positive the rumblings have Jacob nervous. Seattle is the second biggest of his operations after Forks; it's where he launders all of his illegal money.”

“Well, if she's mixed up in that, I hope she ends up in jail. Sooner rather than later.” Edward looks off toward the kitchen staff. “Mom and Dad are on their way to Alaska,” he says, looking back at me. “Dad's brother and his family live in Denali, and they've created the cover story that Uncle Eleazar had a heart attack, and they're going to visit for awhile.”

I sigh again, feeling like I'm doing that more and more. “It's for the best, especially considering the note that was dropped off earlier. I'm sure you miss her, though.”

“She's mine, you know? I'm not even sure when it happened, just that we all pitched in when she was so tiny. She had colic, and I'd sing to her as I paced her nursery with her swaddled in my arms. We bonded, and Mom suggested that when we filed the permanent paperwork, we should write my name as guardian instead of her and Dad.”

“I'm looking forward to the day when this has calmed down and I can meet her officially,” I say shyly.

Edward surprises me when a tear rolls down his face. “I would like that. She saved me, helped me get over you leaving, you know? I had to focus on her and what she needed, and I had to navigate being a single dad. That girl has me wrapped around her little finger. I’m her father. I just worry that Emmett will get out of jail and want her, and I wouldn't be able to deny him.”

“Oh, honey,” I pull on his shoulders until I'm wrapped around him, soothing the only way I know how. He hugs me back, breaking down and crying against my neck. “Emmett wouldn't do that to you, would he? He can be involved, be her uncle, but he must know that she's happy and well adjusted living with you. You’re the only father she’s ever known. I don’t think it would be good for her if he were to swoop in and claim her. He needs to think about what’s best for her.” Edward looks up as there's a loud clatter in the other corner of the kitchen. We watch for a moment as the busboy cleans up the tray full of dishes he dropped.

“You might be right, but it's a fear I've held onto for years.” His voice cracks and he wipes his face.

“All we can do for now is focus on keeping her safe and taking down this town's crime family. And keep watching your back, I couldn't stand it if anything happened to you.” I grip his hand, smiling at him.

“Everything will work out, I'm sure of it. We have to stay away from each other in public to be positive they don't suspect us any further.”

I nod. We've discussed it, but it it's hard not to repeat the warning. “We’ll keep safe, both of us. I had a notebook full of information that I gave over to Sue when I got here. She'll hand it over to her contact first thing tomorrow morning. By next week, I would expect arrests to be made. Then maybe we'll be free to do as we please.”

He flashes me his brilliant, crooked smile. “I would like that. And not simply because it would be nice to not have to feel the weight of the sword on the back of my neck.”



No comments:

Post a Comment