Sunday, May 28, 2017

Angry All The Time Chapter 16



I was a heavy heart to carry

My beloved was weighed down

My arms around his neck
My fingers laced to crown
My love has concrete feet
My love's an iron ball
Wrapped around your ankles
Over the waterfall
I was a heavy heart to carry
But he never let me down
When he had me in his arms
My feet never touched the ground

~Florence And The Machine, Heavy In Your Arms


May 2009
BPOV

As I tried to get back into the routine of work and daily life, it was a pleasure to come home to Edward at the end of the day. Alice and Jasper came over for dinner in the middle of the week, and we had all of our friends over on Saturday. It was a good first week as a married woman, but it didn't last.

The following Monday, Mike approached me at my desk and waggled his eyebrows at me when I turned to look at him.

"Yes, Mike?" I was irritated that he had stopped by.

"I got the promo. I wanted to tell you." He rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. "I'm your boss now." He grinned, and my skin prickled.

"Oh." I had to think of something decent to say. I couldn't be rude to my new boss. Shit.

"Don't you mean congratulations?" Mike frowned, and he looked a bit pissed.

"Oh, of course." I stood, uncomfortable with him looming over me. I stuck my hand out. "Congrats." Mike took my hand, and I shivered involuntarily. I did not like the feel of his sweaty palm against my hand, so I withdrew mine as quickly as I could. "Well, I have a lot of work to do, so. . ." Would he even take the hint?

"So, for starters, if you need anything from IT, just call them. There's no need to spend so much time on the third floor." He looked entirely satisfied with himself at this decree.

"Really? I don't think that's in UDub policy. It's not always possible to get ahold of them by phone." My mind was trying to keep up, figure out a way around this rule so I could still visit Jasper.

"Well, it's my policy. So, I'm guessing you should sit back down at your desk there, since you have so much work to complete." He circled his finger toward my desk and shrugged. Little bastard. "I will be scheduling personnel meetings to bring everyone up to speed on what goals we're meeting personally."

"Sounds great, Mike." I turned around and sat at my desk, ignoring him behind me while I went back to the admissions I was uploading. I eventually heard him walk off, but checked behind me to be sure before picking up my cell to text Jasper. Apparently I wasn't able to stop by and see my friend for a few minutes when I had something I wanted help with. Mike was going to be a fun boss.

Jasper's quick response made me chuckle, but I bit my lip to keep quiet. I was definitely not a lucky bitch to have Mike as a sup. He was going to make my life miserable.

Unfortunately, I was right. Mike only got worse as time went on. My paperwork increased, my goals were higher, and the time he gave me to complete work was cut shorter by a third. Basically, he expected me to do the work of three people. I found myself working through lunch more often than not, and I never saw Jasper anymore. Edward started questioning why I was so late coming home every night, and I tried to play it off.

"I have a new boss, that's all. Things will level out soon enough." He had eyed me carefully, then kissed me and told me he missed me, and helped me forget all about work.

Our sex life was crazy. It seemed like we had sex every night. Edward was selfless, and knew positions I'd never thought of. On the weekends we had sex multiple times a day, just because we could. We spent time with Alice and Jasper, Emmett and Rosalie. We joined families at the Cullen's for Easter, and planted the new tree in the yard.

We were hiking in the Olympic National Park one weekend with Alice and Jasper when he asked me about work. I thought about how to answer him, because I didn't want Edward to worry about me. "It's busy. Between now and the fall semester it's going to be slammed, of course." I paused to take a sip of water from the bottle clipped to my waistband.

"And how is Mike treatin' you?" I cringed. This was the subject I'd wanted to avoid. "I never see you, so I guess the rule stayed in effect."

Edward had stopped with us, and now he looked sharply at me. "What rule?"

"Dude, she's tied to her desk." Jasper looked at me accusingly. "Didn't you tell him, Bells?"

Alice grabbed Jasper by the elbow. "Walk on, Jazz." Her brow was furrowed as she glanced over her shoulder at me.

Edward was not going to drop the subject, that was for sure. "Bella? What rule? Why are you tied to your desk?" he demanded.

"It's nothing, Edward." I tried to keep walking, to catch up with the others on the trail. Edward snagged my hand, spinning me back to face him. He dropped my hand and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What's going on?" He did not look pleased. I took a deep breath.

"Mike is just a hard boss. He gave me shorter deadlines, like I told you." I kicked the toe of my shoe in the dirt.

"And?" he prompted.

"And, what, Edward?" I knew I was being obstinate, but I couldn't help it. He took care of me, of everything and everyone, and I didn't want to stress him over something I was sure I could handle.

He sighed, exasperated. "What are you keeping from me? Why is it like pulling teeth, especially if Jasper already knows?"

"He knows because he works with me. And I really don't want you to worry about me. I can handle Mike." My voice had risen as I spoke.

"Is there something to handle?" He was getting louder now, too. I glanced around us, eager to make sure no one was around to listen to us argue.

"I'm not allowed to visit Jasper on the clock, that's all. It's not a big deal."

"If it's not a big deal, then why wouldn't you just tell me?" He raised an eyebrow at me, and I felt like I was a pupil being scolded by their teacher. My nerves were stretched thin enough as it was.

"Because technically Mike can't tell me not to visit IT, okay! He made up a rule that only affects me, because everyone knows Jasper is my best friend. Mike reassigned the others in my department to do the personal work with the students." I shoved my hand up into my hair, then ran it down my ponytail. "I'm inputting all the admissions. And they are only going to go up over the summer." I looked down at my shoe, kicking through the dirt again.

"So that's why you're home so late all the time." It was a very quiet statement. Edward only spoke like that when he was reigning in his temper.

"Yes," I said to the ground.

"That's why you fall asleep at 9, and sleep in so late on the weekends. He's burning you out."

I could hear the cold fury he was trying so hard to reign in.

"Yes. I work through lunch to get home sooner, because I can't wait to get out the door."

"You're not eating?" he roared. A startled bird squawked in a nearby tree; I jumped, stumbled over my own shoe, and fell back on my ass before Edward could catch me.

"That's just great," I griped. "Klutzy me manages to hike this far without falling, and then I land on my ass after tripping over my own fucking shoe." Edward reached down to help me up, and I slapped his hand away. I heard him growl, but I was too worked up to care. I struggled to my feet, ignoring the hands that grasped my arms to help me to stand. I brushed off the seat of my shorts, then brushed off my hands. "I'm going to catch up with our friends now," I announced. I turned my back on him and headed off. I felt the heat rolling off of him as he fell into step behind me, but I refused to look at him. We hiked in silence until we rejoined the others, and Alice linked her arm with mine. I pretended that my new husband and I did not just have a fight in the middle of the fricking woods.

When we parted ways at the end of the trail, with a promise to have dinner in the middle of the week, Edward took my hand in his and pulled me to a stop by the side of the car. I looked at the ground as his hands hit the frame of the door, his arms caging me in. The anger pulsed from him, hitting me heavily in the chest. My heart was pounding, and I couldn't meet his gaze.

He dipped down in an attempt to look in my eyes. "Bella," he said in a deadly low, calm voice. "Look at me!" he snapped. My eyes flicked to his, widened by his tone. "I don't want you keeping things from me," he said in the calm tone. "I only want what is best for you," he purred. "How can I help if you don't tell me?" His hands went to the back of my head, and he moved in, kissing me gently. All the fight left me as I realized how I must have hurt him. I kissed him back fervently, leaning up on my toes to reach him better.

I broke away from him finally. "I'm sorry," I murmured. I kissed his jaw, tasting the saltiness of his skin. "I didn't mean to hurt you." I kissed his lips again, my hands going to his waist. "Take me home, Edward," I whispered. His smile was quick and bright as he pulled me away from the car to open my door for me. He touched me the whole drive home, his hand on my knee, holding my hand in his, kissing my fingertips.

I was on fire by the time we hit the front door. Pulling him with me, I headed to the bathroom, tugging on his hands so he would follow me. I turned on the shower, aiming the faucet to hot. Facing him again, Edward smiled smugly as I started kicking off my hiking boots. He toed out of his, reaching behind him to grab a handful of shirt and tug it off over his head. His socks came next, and I peeled mine off before moving to my shorts. We stood there for a minute, he in his shorts, and me in my shirt and panties.

I rushed him, knocking him back a few steps before he steadied us with a hand on the counter. I grabbed his head, planting my mouth on his and kissing him with everything I had. Hurt, regret, love, lust, even exhaustion. His hands molded to my ass, and they seared my flesh through the thin boy shorts I was wearing.

"Shower," I grunted. He backed me towards it, tugging on my shirt until I lifted my arms and he yanked it over my head. He peeled off the underwear, and I pulled my bra over my head, too impatient to mess with the clasp. My hands were on his cock the minute he dropped his shorts and boxer briefs, and he grunted. I took a step backwards, his erection still heavy in my hand, doing a bit of a dance as he moved with me. I stepped over the lip of the shower when I felt it hit my heels, and I tilted my head back to accept the blistering hot water.

"Jesus, why do you like it so hot?" Edward complained when the water sprayed him.

I grinned. "I like to feel that I've scalded myself clean," I answered him.

"More like removed several layers of skin," he remarked as he adjusted the temperature. I stroked my hands up and down his shaft, and he shut up about the water. He moved all the way in the shower with me, pushing the door closed behind him. I pushed him against the door, kneeling in front of him as I sank down over his cock, not wasting any time. He gripped my shoulders and groaned loudly, and I held his legs for support as I moved my head. After a few moments, he pulled me up and crushed me to him, moving us both under the rainfall shower head. He kissed me, angling our heads to stroke his tongue deeply against mine while the water sluiced over us.

He turned and sat on the built-in seat, one of my favorite features of the entire bathroom. I turned away from him, letting his hands on my hips guide me. I sat down, sinking over his hard cock and crying out at the feeling of him entering me completely. I leaned against him, my back rubbing his chest as I moved up and down, my hand on his knees and his still on my hips. He bent his head, kissing my neck, and I moaned my pleasure. I sped up my rhythm, and one of his clever hands moved to my clit, rubbing in circles with his fingers. My cries echoed in the bathroom, and he grunted as his orgasm rushed him, my own walls clamping down around him as he spilled inside me. I shuddered as my legs locked down, and I collapsed back against him, satisfied.

He kissed my shoulder, resting his head there. "I like make-up sex."

"Mmmm," was the only response I could muster.

"Come on. You need a shower and a nap, love." I agreed, letting him help me up. I washed quickly, too tired to stand around for long. He wrapped me up in a towel, and even tucked me into our huge bed, choosing to sit by the window and read as I dozed.

When I woke it was late in the evening, and Edward offered me some dinner. I rubbed my eyes as I joined him at the table, and I practically swallowed my omelet whole. I wasn't eating as well as I should, between working so much and always being tired.

"I want you to report your boss," Edward said. He might as well have shouted it into the quiet stillness, though his voice was low and rough.

I looked up at him, my fork paused mid air. "I'm afraid to get in trouble, Edward. I don't want to stir the pot."

"Well, the pot is full of shit, so maybe it just needs to be shaken. Hard." He did not look as if he was joking.

"I know," I sighed. "I think I can handle him. I just want to find a level spot, some kind of routine that doesn't suck for me and still makes him happy." I stuck a bit of egg into my mouth and chewed. "I've increased my production rate, out of necessity, I suppose."

"You're more than just data entry, for crying out loud!" he shouted, his fist hitting the table. I jumped, but answered him calmly regardless.

"I know, but the others have taken over the rest. The student meetings, the phone calls. If I don't have to worry about that, I can get more paperwork done."

"Which turns you into a drone, and a miserable one at that." He finally resumed eating himself.

"I know, I know. Just. . . let me have some time before I do anything like report him. I don't want to make it worse if they side with him." I frowned. Would they side with him, or was he really as bad as Edward was saying?

"Just promise me you'll talk to me about it, and not let it get worse." He looked me in the eyes as he waited for my response.

"All right, I will." I swallowed thickly as I wondered whether I was lying to him or to myself.











No comments:

Post a Comment