Thursday, June 8, 2017

Perdition Chapter 11

Then

“But, Dad!” I protested to deaf ears, as he plowed on with his insane demands. He'd trapped me while I was trying to get a snack in the kitchen after school, when I typically tried my best to avoid him and his escalating temper.

“You'll do what I say, Isabella!” he shouted gruffly. “You saw him, end of story.” Charlie moved forward, and his larger frame pressed mine against the sink with nowhere to escape. My head was back as I stared at a reddened, pissed off face. 

“Of course there's more to the story, Dad! I never saw him in that car, I'm sure of it! He's not the type to steal, I think-”

Charlie's fingers wrapped around my throat, abruptly cutting off my words. “I don't care what you think, only what you say!” He squeezed a little tighter, and my eyes bulged in disbelief; air was still scraping its way into my lungs, but it was becoming very uncomfortable to breathe. “Understood?”

He loosened his grip, and I gasped in air to fill my burning lungs, my hands flying to my throat. It was the first time Charlie had laid a rough hand on me instead of just abusing Mom. “I'll say it. I'll testify,” harsh pants interspersed my words. “Just- don't touch me again!” I pushed him away from me and ran through the house, racing out the front door and heading toward the park. I called Edward on my cell as I walked and asked him to pick me up, answering none of his questions about why. 

When he arrived in his pickup, I gratefully jumped in, asking him to take me to the field we frequently parked at, rubbing my throat inconspicuously as he drove. “What's wrong, baby?” he asked more than once. I remained silent, staring out the window as I contemplated the consequences of what I had to do. 

When Edward stopped the truck, I turned to him. “Make love to me,” I implored. It came out a little scratchy, as my throat was still recovering from earlier. I needed him to comfort me more than ever.

His brows disappeared into the shaggy hair hanging in his face. “Uh, yeah. Just, why? You seem upset, don't you want to talk?”

“I don't want to talk,” I assured him as I scooted closer, winding my arms around his neck and kissing him deeply. I needed a balm for the ache in my throat, a distraction from the storm brewing at my house. I wanted to forget my father, and forget that I'd just agreed to testify against Emmett, which would most likely send him to jail. I wanted to forget about the effect my testifying would have on my relationship with Edward.

His hands moved to my shirt as we kissed frantically, unfastening the small pearl buttons before running his fingers over the exposed skin. Frissons ran along my skin and raced up and down my spine; this was known, familiar and welcomed. Edward was my home, and I needed that solidity now more than ever. I pushed his hair out of his face and then grabbed it as I dragged his mouth to my breast, encouraging and demanding the pleasure he brought me when his teeth caught my nipple. Moans erupted like an active volcano, both of us spurred on by the sounds. We lowered down to the seat, and my hands worked his pants until I could free his hard length. Frantically, I moved my skirt and my underwear, pulling him toward me with my knees around his hips. 

“You're in a hurry,” he observed on a breath, and I knew there was no complaint intended. 

“Yes,” I exclaimed, to answer his question and because of the feelings he brought about in me as he slipped inside my eager body. 

We'd had plenty of practice since our first time, but I didn't always come. I didn't know if I was too inside my head, or if there was something else to it that we were missing. However, this was not one of those times. I let go, I let all the grief and turmoil leave my body as Edward pounded his hips into mine, as I gave myself to him and accepted his gift in return. My cries were loud, coming from a place deep inside myself that I hadn't known existed. And when Edward collapsed his weight on me and I held on for all I was worth, I cried. 

Everything in my life was about to change, and I was terrified. I clung to his shoulders as he whispered eternal love in my ear. I'll love you forever, too, Edward. Even though you'll hate me soon. 

Now

The soft knock on my door brings me out of my daydream. I remember that last time we were together as though it was yesterday, savoring the ghost weight of Edward's body sprawled on top of mine. I open the door, looking forlornly into my visitor's eyes, dark depths filled with caring and understanding. 

“Sweetheart,” she says, closing the door and pulling me in for a tight hug. I miss the motherly connection I had with Renée, and I cling to Sue's cushiony curves, feeling a new relationship forming. 

“I don't know what to do anymore, but I know that I'm done.” I bite back the sob that threatens to drown out my words. 

“Come sit with me,” she offers, stepping carefully around my broken belongings. She picks up my chair and gestures for me to sit while she goes into the kitchen area. Rummaging in the open cabinet doors, she pulls out a box of tea. Looking around, she plucks my metal teapot from the floor and takes it to the sink. I watch her as she methodically sets about making us tea, finding everything she needs with little hunting, since it's all sitting out in the open now. 

“I know it was either Charlie or Jake. They're both pissed at me,” I start. "They both think I have access to Mom's money, and I don't. I tried to tell them, but they don't believe me."

“Well. I believe I can help you, but I think you have to come clean to that dear boy first.”

“I mostly have, Sue. I know he's angry, and he should be. But how do I convince him I had no choice, and I still don't?” I sniff as the tears test my boundaries, and I force them back again. Between the mob, my father, and a broody man, I'm done crying over all of this. 

“I can help you. I know what's going on; Seth is involved much the way you are.” She comes to the table with the tea and sets it in front of me, but there's nowhere for her to sit. She peers out my window instead, crossing her arms over her stomach. 

“I thought so, I've seen him in the bar.” Taking a careful sip, I realize that I'm freezing, and I cup the hot mug in my hands to warm them. 

“He was given an ultimatum, sweet girl, just like you. It was my life they threatened.” She says this calmly, without a hint of fear. “Shitty part is, Leah is involved with Black, deeply and purposefully.” She shakes her head before levelling a hurt gaze on me. “That is a huge reason I'm going to take him down.”

I stare at her for a very long time, the thoughts in my head spinning on the hamster wheel. I try to analyze my response from all angles before committing to what I’m about to do.

“I'm in.”





No comments:

Post a Comment