Thursday, June 8, 2017

Perdition Teaser Chapter 18


I sprint across the cluttered space to the window, unlocking it and pushing up as hard as I can with arms made of limp noodles. The window casing is rusty, so it screeches as I inch it open. As soon as I think I have it open far enough to get out, I start shimmying my way through. It’s a tight squeeze, but I’m damn determined.

It’s a moonless night, no stars to be seen, and there’s only one light at the top of a pole far into the distance. I drag my fingertips over the splintered wood as I feel my way down the side of the house, stopping at the corner. I don't hear anybody, so I slowly shuffle my way through the front yard, my ears on alert for foot soldiers. I desperately wish I had learned how to hotwire a car, or that I’d thought to look for someone’s keys, instead of having nothing. But I've always had nothing, and it won't stop me now.


Just as I start across the grass in what I hope is the direction leading the fuck away from here, I feel a hand clamp down on my shoulder. I spin, scared to death I’ll see the bloody corpse of Jake looming in front of me.





No comments:

Post a Comment